Running terriers with highways close?

Getting a patterdale pup very soon. I'm going to be working it around the area, but there is a very busy highway right behind my house. There is a little fence behind it, and a fair bit of thick woods. I'm worried that if I set the Patt loose in my backyard to run the rabbits, it'll end up on the highway, unlike my bigger dogs. How do I go about that? Shock the dog to shit when it gets near the fence or? A rabbit running through there would completely nullify that method. 

You won’t be able to stop it going under and trying to chase them and risk getting hit. My patt dog pup got ran over last August running hot on a scent on a country road so not worth it

My brother once had a patterdale which was a grandson of "Jack." It jumped out of a second floor window to pick a fight with two German Shepherds. I can't see a breed which does that giving up at a fence.

• Like 2

I tend to keep any digging type terrier on a lead unless at the beach or somewhere as pups not worth the risk losing them chasing rabbits if you want a small dog for bushing rabbits get a cocker makes it easy for you. 

• Like 2