We've kept a variety of bantams in the past (mainly wyandottes and welsumers) but my daughter is keen to get some ducks. She's done lots of research and has taken a shine to pekins. They will primarily be seen by her as "pets" although my wife and I are keen for there to be an ample supply of eggs!

I've done some research too and the pekins do seem to fit the bill (pardon the pun). Any advice would be appreciated. We have an old eglu classic which (with the roosting bars removed) would be perfect for ducks. How big would the enclosure need to be...apart from 'as big as possible.'

The main thing which had put me off ducks previously was that they seemed smellier and the obvious need for more water but, from what I've read, they'd be fine without a full scale lake as long as they have water to bathe in. We have one of those huge yellow "tough trays" which you get in nursery schools for sand and water play...one of the perks of being an ex-teacher!

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

Update:

the three pekins have been with us now for a week and are doing fine in their temporary home.

However, looking ahead to when they need to be moved into a permanent walk-in run, I'm wondering about what to put on the ground.

I've done lots of research but I'm getting widely differing viewpoints. Some people say to put it on concrete (with or without something on top) as it's easier to hose out, whereas some say to put them on grass with something on top as the concrete will be too abrasive for ducks' feet.

The options mentioned for the base include: large woodchips, river stones, shingle or sand. All have positives and negatives on various websites and forums. One book I've got even mentioned 2" of river pebbles, followed by 2" of sand and topped off with woodchips.

In addition to this, how often would that need cleaning out. Again opinions seem to vary. Some say daily raking over and replenish once per month, some say replenish yearly. Obviously, these are just different peoples opinions, but it's difficult to know when these opinions vary so much.

Finally, one other thought I had (which hasn't been mentioned). I remember reading once about using a layer of charcoal in the bottom of a soakaway off a dog-run to reduce odour. Would/could the same work with ducks? So, a layer of charcoal, a mid layer of pebbles and woodchips on top. Rakes over daily and hosed out weekly?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I had muscovies and the shed was concrete and the large run was grass but not for long, it ended up just mud. I think the best if you just have a few is free range them if you have a big yard. I wouldn't bother again as they are filthy birds and not worth the return for the effort.

• Like 1

I have to say, I was dubious at first and I was trying to talk her into chickens instead but they're her pride and joy. I'm surprised but I'm definitely coming round to them.

Less smelly than I'd expected and hilarious to watch and they are, basically, just pets (but with egg benefits). She's doing all the opening up and putting to bed at night and she gave them a good clean out today (in her dedicated "duck clothes").

I'm afraid that, unless we're outside with them, free-ranging is not an option as we have the occasional visit from Mr Tod...though the dogs are enjoying chasing him off.

• Like 1