Wildlife Getting Closer

11 hours ago, Franks dad said:

I’ve been trying to  protect the  ones nesting in my roof ,mainly from the magpies , crows are onto me too quick ,but I’ll get there …… swifts have just turned up in the last few days they’ll be  nesting  in next doors loft space soon same as every year , they’ll be on the menu next ….. gonna be a battle 

I had swifts in my loft space for many years used to wait for there arrival absolutely loved it but eventually the magpies learned to tap the tiles and grab the young as they popped there heads up for food in the end they would wait on the roof and grab the adult birds as they left the nest, this happened despite me sitting in the garage shooting as many as I could in the end the swifts never returned sadly, best thing is to get a Larson trap wish I had bought one sooner they make a real dent in the magpie population 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Raw egg seems to have stimulated his appetite and milk  have removed most of the ticks and will pop up the abattoir in a bit to get some liver to help replace iron etc Surprised he is still here and n

Wish I'd had my camera still not bad for phone shots. Cheers Arry

I see that up at my woodland in Wales.  When the pheasant poults are taken to the release pens , it's not unusual to see 20 to 30 , red kites, buzzards , and ravens , all circling together. Its q

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Greyman said:

I had swifts in my loft space for many years used to wait for there arrival absolutely loved it but eventually the magpies learned to tap the tiles and grab the young as they popped there heads up for food in the end they would wait on the roof and grab the adult birds as they left the nest, this happened despite me sitting in the garage shooting as many as I could in the end the swifts never returned sadly, best thing is to get a Larson trap wish I had bought one sooner they make a real dent in the magpie population 

What’s the legality of using one in your garden , to protect birds on the red list ? No one better to ask than our own resident rumpole of the Bailey 😊👍

• Haha 2
21 minutes ago, Greyman said:

How's Mongols progress ?

3 minutes ago, hot dog said:

f***ing pongo I meant ?

Was about to ask the same … how’s the traveler doing ? 
he would enjoy a magpie or two …. Mine love them 

Edited by Franks dad
2 hours ago, Franks dad said:

What’s the legality of using one in your garden , to protect birds on the red list ? No one better to ask than our own resident rumpole of the Bailey 😊👍

The best advice I can give is be discreet about it and as it’s a live catch trap you are relocating them then find a nice quiet place to relocate them and put the trap under water for 10mins before relocating them under a hedge or in a ditch, 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Greyman said:

love to watch them every year great see them start flying getting higher and higher 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Greyman said:

The best advice I can give is be discreet about it and as it’s a live catch trap you are relocating them then find a nice quiet place to relocate them and put the trap under water for 10mins before relocating them under a hedge or in a ditch, 

I’d relocate them to the ferret hutch , after feeding them a  22 hades pellet …..as you know without evidence there is no case 🤣

• Like 2

Pongo update he is doing well he’s strong enough to have a bath later in hibby scrub, just can’t believe the amount of ticks on such a small critter had about 15 yesterday and he is still pretty covered in them he got out his box and was running round the boat which is a good sign 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Greyman said:

Pongo update he is doing well he’s strong enough to have a bath later in hibby scrub, just can’t believe the amount of ticks on such a small critter had about 15 yesterday and he is still pretty covered in them he got out his box and was running round the boat which is a good sign 

He looks a looker even in the condition he was in.

Changing the subject a tad: I saw something I've never seen before on Friday.

There was a hen house sparrow on the ground a few feet in front of me and I initially thought it was picking up a piece of cellophane. I've often seen pieces of plastic in birds' nests so I presumed she was using it for that. She then flew up to the top of the hedge alongside me and it wasn't cellophane...it was a ruddy great dragonfly. Almost as big as her. I have no idea if she caught it or simply found it and no idea what she intended to do with it. Very odd.

19 hours ago, hot dog said:

He looks a looker even in the condition he was in.

First bath recon I have had over 50 ticks out of him so far he is coming out his box constantly and running around 

8CAFB487-0AFF-44E1-8913-0E9EA55827E3.jpeg

• Like 8