Wildlife Getting Closer

On 11/06/2024 at 19:17, hot dog said:

What happened to pongo the polecat.?

He is living his best life mate was to tame to release so gave him to a lady up the road that has a Jill living in here house spoilt rotten and pongo has taken up with her like he belongs not the best pic a photo of the misses phone screen but you get the idea 

4A6122A3-6223-4E2A-8508-D4343D5E07CD.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Raw egg seems to have stimulated his appetite and milk  have removed most of the ticks and will pop up the abattoir in a bit to get some liver to help replace iron etc Surprised he is still here and n

Wish I'd had my camera still not bad for phone shots. Cheers Arry

I see that up at my woodland in Wales.  When the pheasant poults are taken to the release pens , it's not unusual to see 20 to 30 , red kites, buzzards , and ravens , all circling together. Its q

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Greyman said:

He is living his best life mate was to tame to release so gave him to a lady up the road that has a Jill living in here house spoilt rotten and pongo has taken up with her like he belongs not the best pic a photo of the misses phone screen but you get the idea 

4A6122A3-6223-4E2A-8508-D4343D5E07CD.jpeg

Some of these pet homes are mental for spoiling the animals.ferret day trip to the beach in a adapted buggy for 5 ferrets and all sorts.a good happy ending.well done you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

DSC_6239.JPG.d2203b286bb519d4d9bccf9ea68396ff.JPGDSC_6238.JPG.ea92d44b1d29e467e0a0f27197a2db60.JPG

5 hours ago, lurcherman 887 said:

Alligator ? 

3 hours ago, keepdiggin said:

Newt pal 

The beast of Bedwas.  🤓

Or was that somewhere on the canal, D c?

Edited by shaaark

Once you got him well ,was he easy to handle ? And nice he lives on ,living the dream ! Pongo the polecat ,not the baby welsh  caiman ! !

Edited by waltjnr
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, waltjnr said:

Once you got him well ,was he easy to handle ? And nice he lives on ,living the dream ! Pongo the polecat ,not the baby welsh  caiman ! !

Bit me a couple of times but not nasty a pit full of mot wearing shoes but yes he was to easy to handle really would have never survived, got someone to put a post up on face ache to see if anyone had lost him but no one came forward so had an arranged marriage he seems quite happy about it 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Bit me a couple of times but not nasty a pit full of mot wearing shoes but yes he was to easy to handle really would have never survived, got someone to put a post up on face ache to see if anyone had lost him but no one came forward so had an arranged marriage he seems quite happy about it 

Nice one ! 

12 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

DSC_6239.JPG.d2203b286bb519d4d9bccf9ea68396ff.JPGDSC_6238.JPG.ea92d44b1d29e467e0a0f27197a2db60.JPG

My 1st hunting experiences were in pursuit of newt. I didn't realise at the time that it was hunting but it was. Setting out in search of a particular animal with the intention of catching it. Finding places were not many other people ventured. Little oasis' amongst industry and pollution with miraculous ponds of fresh water clean enough to sustain "pond life" hidden away. The expectation, the excitement on finding and the elation of making a catch. To be taken home and put in the tank for a little while before returning back to where it came from, more or less. To this day when I spot a newt or frog or toad I still get an impulse to catch them. I suppose naturalists are happy enough just to observe, but hunters like to catch.

Edited by eastcoast
Could be a tadpole not a newt :-)
  • Like 8
11 hours ago, eastcoast said:

My 1st hunting experiences were in pursuit of newt. I didn't realise at the time that it was hunting but it was. Setting out in search of a particular animal with the intention of catching it. Finding places were not many other people ventured. Little oasis' amongst industry and pollution with miraculous ponds of fresh water clean enough to sustain "pond life" hidden away. The expectation, the excitement on finding and the elation of making a catch. To be taken home and put in the tank for a little while before returning back to where it came from, more or less. To this day when I spot a newt or frog or toad I still get an impulse to catch them. I suppose naturalists are happy enough just to observe, but hunters like to catch.

I was exactly the same as a small kid,frogs,toads and newt collecting,even now I can’t resist looking in water to see what’s interesting below the surface.

DF12211E-B9F4-4177-9ECE-DF00BF56993A.jpeg

76D0BC34-7EF1-4559-BD84-74F86174CCAC.jpeg

CDDAC080-1F4A-4FB5-BCC4-5F8587667FD3.jpeg

9026BBD8-979C-4547-9598-19498F271944.jpeg

• Like 7
13 hours ago, eastcoast said:

We almost always had a glass tank in the garden with toads or slow worms in.

The first time I caught a load of newts (flooded section at the end of the old railway line in Gosport) I didn't realise they could climb up the glass! Woke up the following morning to find it almost empty and had to spend the day scouring the house for random newts. I can still remember my mum finding one dead behind the fridge months later. Always felt really bad about that. I now insist my son puts a lid on the tank whenever he brings anything home.

Edited to add: one of those first newts I caught was inside a floating can of kestrel lager. I always think of that every time anybody say 'pissed as a newt.'

Edited by Neal
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Last time I saw any newts was some years ago working on the demolition of an old cokeing plant near Chesterfield and their was some concrete large water holders where the water was gin clear with plenty of pond weeds in it and a good number of newts swimming about that some days I would have my snap sat on the concrete wall watching them. The same job on a section of it was stopped due to a Kestrel nesting at the top of one of the conveyor towers we were stripping the asbestos sheets off as one of the lad's from Mansfield secretly got intouch with some wildlife official and the same lad had done some keepering for a syndicate from out that way. 

My son was clearing his grandads garden a couple of weeks ago it’s a mass of overgrown brambles and bamboo and other things planted years ago that have just gone wild with neglect he was into koi’s as well and had 3 or 4 large ponds in amongst it they were full of great crested newts will try and see if he has pics on his phone still later nature thrives on neglect 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Chew valley lakes near Bristol and no I never planted it there 

06E61D24-6874-4F37-8CB7-74DC5BEA63B2.png

What is it ?

A 14 ft Python was picked up by side of a road near Lyme Regis other day .

WWW.DORSETECHO.CO.UK

A 14-foot snake has been rescued after it was found slithering around rural West Dorset

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Neal said:

We almost always had a glass tank in the garden with toads or slow worms in.

The first time I caught a load of newts (flooded section at the end of the old railway line in Gosport) I didn't realise they could climb up the glass! Woke up the following morning to find it almost empty and had to spend the day scouring the house for random newts. I can still remember my mum finding one dead behind the fridge months later. Always felt really bad about that. I now insist my son puts a lid on the tank whenever he brings anything home.

Edited to add: one of those first newts I caught was inside a floating can of kestrel lager. I always think of that every time anybody say 'pissed as a newt.'

I had the exact same experience with newts escaping in the house Some remained unaccounted for and I just assumed that our mentally unstable pet crockadilapig (mongrel Russell) had eaten them. But mam found a few dried out behind radiators, she was not happy.The last place I would have expected them to head to.

• Like 1