Sparrow hawk.

Was looking out into Garden & seen this fella or girl sat fence line. Having it's morning snack a ring neck dove. At first I was abit angry that it was near my birdroom. But I've always been a raptor lover. Long before I got avairy birds. One of my pals said to me why didn't you kill it. Talking about the loss of song birds through sparrow hawks. Saying that a sparrow hawk can eat 4 to 5 song birds a day. 

1 hour ago, j j m said:

lovely birds a man would want his hands chopped off for killing one its nature

Look at plumage on that mate sun hitting it at 6 in morning. That grey back stunning and light coloured chest 

5 hours ago, Bangersanmash said:

Was looking out into Garden & seen this fella or girl sat fence line. Having it's morning snack a ring neck dove. At first I was abit angry that it was near my birdroom. But I've always been a raptor lover. Long before I got avairy birds. One of my pals said to me why didn't you kill it. Talking about the loss of song birds through sparrow hawks. Saying that a sparrow hawk can eat 4 to 5 song birds a day. 

If a male if providing  feed for a female to feed young then yea they will catch multiple times a day , mostly a spar will catch feed and then put its food over and be happy until it needs to feed again , bop feed when they need to unlike dogs that eat when ever they can , 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/04/2024 at 12:33, Elchapo said:

If a male if providing  feed for a female to feed young then yea they will catch multiple times a day , mostly a spar will catch feed and then put its food over and be happy until it needs to feed again , bop feed when they need to unlike dogs that eat when ever they can , 

Nature is wonderful. Sparrowhawks are among the last birds to lay eggs in the UK, This mean that there eggs hatch when the other birds young are starting to fledge the nest making it easier for them to catch prey to feed there young. 

On 07/04/2024 at 08:03, j j m said:

lovely birds a man would want his hands chopped off for killing one its nature

Even if they might be trying to kill a mans pride and joy ? some of these chaps put a lot of time and effort into their birds....in my opinion they're entitled to do whatever it takes to protect them.

1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

Even if they might be trying to kill a mans pride and joy ? some of these chaps put a lot of time and effort into their birds....in my opinion they're entitled to do whatever it takes to protect them.

if a sparrowhawk can get at your birds then it's your fault because they are not secure enough

• Like 1
On 07/04/2024 at 06:43, Bangersanmash said:

sparrowhawks have always killed songbirds and always will,it's survival,

14 minutes ago, paddyluke said:

if a sparrowhawk can get at your birds then it's your fault because they are not secure enough

An aviary isnt safe enough you mean ?.....when i kept birds i found bits of a bird on the floor that had clearly tried to be dragged through centimetre square mesh what should bird lads do only keep them in indoor cages ?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

I wouldn't kill a sparrow hawk mate. But a know pals of mine that have. They've spotted them hitting the flight fronts. One lad was getting pestered every day. Going in to birds dead through shock with bouncing off the wire. And this guy had double mesh on the out and inside the fights. The sparrow hawk kept jumping on to flight then onto this post. Well my pal put a fenn trap on post. Came back from work and no more sparrow hawk. 

1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

An aviary isnt safe enough you mean ?.....when i kept birds i found bits of a bird on the floor that had clearly tried to be dragged through centimetre square mesh what should bird lads do only keep them in indoor cages ?

double mesh🤔

55 minutes ago, Bangersanmash said:

I wouldn't kill a sparrow hawk mate. But a know pals of mine that have. They've spotted them hitting the flight fronts. One lad was getting pestered every day. Going in to birds dead through shock with bouncing off the wire. And this guy had double mesh on the out and inside the fights. The sparrow hawk kept jumping on to flight then onto this post. Well my pal put a fenn trap on post. Came back from work and no more sparrow hawk. 

He wants be carefully if he's got nosey neighbours,  I'm biased as I love birds of prey kept birds of prey and will be doing again in the future , however I had a bird aviary wich canary and finches in and didn't have 1 attack but I put that down to me having my own birds of prey peged out in the garden on the lawn infront of the aviary , I wouldn't kill any bird of prey but my old man on the other hand hates them with a passion due to him been a pigeon racer , he would have them all dead if it was his way so I can understand lads not liking them when there killing there pride and joy...me personally I'd just live with it