Good morning everyone, 

I am new here, and not sure if you all would want to see it but I am a waller by trade. I predominantly do gap work but if and when needed I build new walls too. 

I learnt the trade as a farm hand around the peak district and went self employed as a drystone waller about 3 years ago. I never looked back and love the job. 

I have gained permission, met friends and lear new things daily. 

I actually got into deerstalking through drystone walling as a lot of gaps are due to deer damage, so the 2 go hand in hand. 

20240327_111510.jpg

20240327_103753.jpg

• Like 11

Thought about doing a course a few years ago, never managed to find the time, might give it a go when I retire, good to see something traditional being kept alive

• Like 1

I was forced/coerced by my father to help with drystone ‘dyking’ as it’s called in Scotland. Ordinarily, as with yourself, it was mostly stock damage repair. However we did do some quite long stretches and I can’t help but have look when up there to see if it is all still standing. To date that is the case. I was looking at your pics and notice you haven’t used any stretchers, stepping stones which protrude each side of the dyke normally used by shepherds and stockmen.  On to Neil.(BakerBoy)When you retire the biggest enemies are the weight and the cold. Nice topic. Jok.

4 hours ago, jok said:

I was forced/coerced by my father to help with drystone ‘dyking’ as it’s called in Scotland. Ordinarily, as with yourself, it was mostly stock damage repair. However we did do some quite long stretches and I can’t help but have look when up there to see if it is all still standing. To date that is the case. I was looking at your pics and notice you haven’t used any stretchers, stepping stones which protrude each side of the dyke normally used by shepherds and stockmen.  On to Neil.(BakerBoy)When you retire the biggest enemies are the weight and the cold. Nice topic. Jok.

Sometimes we put steppers in but not on this one, thus was about 6 meters from a field gate so not necessary, but we quite often put stiles in along footpaths or field to field with long stretches of walls. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Currently looking in to doing a course in dry stone walling and sheep shearing to do along side my full time job. Any lads had any experience in any of these or have done any courses in them? 

Cheers wallie

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/06/2024 at 20:01, Wallie said:

Currently looking in to doing a course in dry stone walling and sheep shearing to do along side my full time job. Any lads had any experience in any of these or have done any courses in them? 

Cheers wallie

Done a couple of weekend courses with Lancashire dswa. Started doing a bit of my own work gap repairs etc. booked in for lantra level 1 at crooklands for next month

• Like 1

Cheers for reply mate best of luck with it. I have found a lad local who is willing to take me out a few weekends to show me the ropes around my day to day job. 

• Thanks 1