Xc90 v discovery which one is better for reliability?

Right lads im looking at the xc90 d5 as a possible next truck, i do like the discos but cant be arsed with the money wasted trying to keep them on the road, have any of you had any experiences with the volvos? 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive had a 2003 Rav4 D4D for a 6 yrs,its just done 160,000 miles, been everywhere in it,in all conditions and it aint missed a beat,parts are pennies and everywhere...parked it up for 3 yrs,didnt move.

The old 3.1 Isuzu troopers are great motors, old now though and juicy but really reliable, safe, ole buses

Sounds just like a landrover, every MOT time is like sitting in the police station waiting on the charge sheet being read out ffs,

Posted Images

I wouldn’t touch a Volvo with a barge pole now, I’ve had two, just seen off the latest one after throwing more money than I care to think about at it.

Same with the first one.

Main dealers service is both massively expensive and shit and lots of the things that go wrong can only be done main dealer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've got one , they're a money pit , if you find a good example with low mileage and full service history then probably a good shout trawl through a few FB groups and you get a feel of what's involved. Mine has had extensive servicing done by a mate, all the fluids , gearbox flush, they eat tyres, I'm doing about 25mpg I spoke to him Friday about chucking a new steering pump on it and flogging it. I like it , it's big and fun, but I can't justify sticking £100 in it every week, his disco just cost £700 in tax , check XC90 models and years as some are £500 tax. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Borr said:

I've got one , they're a money pit , if you find a good example with low mileage and full service history then probably a good shout trawl through a few FB groups and you get a feel of what's involved. Mine has had extensive servicing done by a mate, all the fluids , gearbox flush, they eat tyres, I'm doing about 25mpg I spoke to him Friday about chucking a new steering pump on it and flogging it. I like it , it's big and fun, but I can't justify sticking £100 in it every week, his disco just cost £700 in tax , check XC90 models and years as some are £500 tax. 

Sounds just like a landrover, every MOT time is like sitting in the police station waiting on the charge sheet being read out ffs,

• Haha 6
20 minutes ago, WILF said:

I wouldn’t touch a Volvo with a barge pole now, I’ve had two, just seen off the latest one after throwing more money than I care to think about at it.

Same with the first one.

Main dealers service is both massively expensive and shit and lots of the things that go wrong can only be done main dealer.

I always likes the comfort in them too, yav put me off now hahaha

53 minutes ago, tillylamp said:

Hi Lenny, what about a Toyota rav4, they've been go over the years, and pretty reliable, or are they to small for you..... 

the brother has had 2, they are decent 

6 hours ago, Chid said:

Tbh I'd rather get a touareg then a disco or XC90 

Mechanic recommends Touareg, said he'd been all over Europe in his, and good for towing, I've just got a Rav4 2.2 d4d it goes like a rocket and pulls straight out of the mud in road tyres, but had check engine and 4x4 system lights come on other day, mechanic says get on fast road drop down to 3rd gear and boot it for 5-10 mile could be injector sticking 

Ive had a 2003 Rav4 D4D for a 6 yrs,its just done 160,000 miles, been everywhere in it,in all conditions and it aint missed a beat,parts are pennies and everywhere...parked it up for 3 yrs,didnt move...needed a number plate bulb for the mot...suprising where they will go,only downside is the size....I only use mine for work and the dogs ,Ive owned multiple pick ups ,land rovers,fourtraks etc...everyone a waste of money...if id of known, then id of bought a new Rav 20 yrs back and saved a fortune,Ive never had a tug in it, driving home early hrs from anywhere,best £1200 ive ever spent 😉👍DSC_1516.JPG.5b489cc241d602d8b39b5ecf1cd45db8.JPGDSC_1523.JPG.7ce5034e10ccd5516c471f440df46723.JPG

• Like 8