On 27/06/2024 at 20:53, Wolfdog91 said:

Would Also suggest getting yourself a lil fletching set up , your going to end up popping off fletchings and it's not hair to replace them yourself, pretty satisfying imo

IMG_20240620_133255213.jpg

IMG_20240620_174351461.jpg

IMG_20240620_202550303.jpg

IMG_20240620_184102805.jpg

Wolfie 3rd pic down is that a Black Hunter recurve bow ?? 

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On Sunday I ordered a cheap recurve bow off Amazon only thirty odd quid to see if I could learn how to shoot a traditional bow with no sights, it only has a 20lb draw. So I googled the fec out of how

Mc Hull would,nt your talking to a man that can I.D a roosting blue tit at 500 yards with nothing more than torch, he would track the bear naked apart from wellies and finish it with a single blow to

Been watching this a lot on YouTube recently. I’ve never been into guns even though I’ve rough shooted and done other forms of shooting over the years, guns av just never really interested me. Had run

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Leo Sayer said:

Wolfie 3rd pic down is that a Black Hunter recurve bow ?? 

O sorry bud , ment to respond to you on your last post. But yes it's a black hunter. So far I like it pretty well for the whole $100 something bucks I paid for it new. It is a bit longer then I'd like though but being 5'1" most normal sized stuff it's a bit big for me lol. Will say though id definitely get a good bit lighter weight then your compound. I shit 70lbd on my compound pretty comfortably when I ordered my black hunter which is a 55lbs if I remember right aaannnd honestly I feel a bit over bowed I can still shoot it but meeeeh I'm a lil shaky. Probably will be ordering some 45lbs limbs soon. All will recommend getting a new string. Been using the stock on for a while and along with the serving not staying set ,it needing a after market set bead for the arrow the general crappy build of the string finally gave up after ...what three four months?

IMG_20240621_175035589.jpg

10 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

O sorry bud , ment to respond to you on your last post. But yes it's a black hunter. So far I like it pretty well for the whole $100 something bucks I paid for it new. It is a bit longer then I'd like though but being 5'1" most normal sized stuff it's a bit big for me lol. Will say though id definitely get a good bit lighter weight then your compound. I shit 70lbd on my compound pretty comfortably when I ordered my black hunter which is a 55lbs if I remember right aaannnd honestly I feel a bit over bowed I can still shoot it but meeeeh I'm a lil shaky. Probably will be ordering some 45lbs limbs soon. All will recommend getting a new string. Been using the stock on for a while and along with the serving not staying set ,it needing a after market set bead for the arrow the general crappy build of the string finally gave up after ...what three four months?

IMG_20240621_175035589.jpg

Cheers wolfie,  I fancy one and trying to learn to shoot a recurve.  I can't believe how accurate the compounds are in a relatively short learning period. That little triangle bow only had it a few days and getting great groupings with it, it's a joy to shoot compared to the slingbow and 10 times more accurate. I reckon a recurve a lot harder to learn ?? Maybe start with 40lb draw or less ? Cheers 

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, Leo Sayer said:

Cheers wolfie,  I fancy one and trying to learn to shoot a recurve.  I can't believe how accurate the compounds are in a relatively short learning period. That little triangle bow only had it a few days and getting great groupings with it, it's a joy to shoot compared to the slingbow and 10 times more accurate. I reckon a recurve a lot harder to learn ?? Maybe start with 40lb draw or less ? Cheers 

Yeah without the adjustable sites it definitely a bit harder but not impossible. That being said you can put sites on a recurve. A lot more feel and technique then A compound imo. I think it's akin to bench rest vs sling / position shooting. You still HAVE  to have the fundamentals of shooting down it's just with one you have more mechanical advantages to take some factors out but the other you have less mechanical help. But Also more tuning and personal stuff . Like I i prefer to shoot three under no, gap , finger savers on my string. Others prefer split finger , tab , gap  so on so on. No to mention picking  the right arrow spine too. Too weak  or to heavy a spine and your arrow will shoot one way or the other more or less. It gets frustrating but rewarding when you get it all together.

Will say though it depends on what level of accuracy you want to how far I to all of it you need. Over her most will tell you as long as you can hit a paper plate at whatever distance consistently your fine because thats the kilm zone on deer sized game . Me personally I feel that's a lil under welming. I prefer to be able to hit a beer can and right now 15 or so yards is about my max for that with my recurve 

And then there aiming vs instinctual shooting with is really intriguing. I prefer aiming more then anything but have gotten decent with instinctual. It's weird you don't even aim you just look at where you want the arrow to go pull back and as soon as you anchor you let go and that arrow alot of times will go right where your looking . Idk the science behind it but a lot of people experience the same in various sports and shooting. 

Anyhow lil short deal you might find interesting 

• Thanks 1

Also from what I kept getting reccomended 35lbs seems to be the magic number for beginners for traditional bows but idk seem a little on the light side , but if you just shooting in the garden 🙂

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Also from what I kept getting reccomended 35lbs seems to be the magic number for beginners for traditional bows but idk seem a little on the light side , but if you just shooting in the garden 🙂

After reading up on it, I fancy trying three fingers under and string walking for aiming. I don't fancy instinctive as I can't shoot any of my cattys like that and prefer a aiming point. 

Bit of practice at bottom of kennels. Got to say I prefer the triangle bow, am sure to a purist archer it would be a gimmick or china eBay junk for £140. But for my novice learning curve it shoots lovely and is accurate. I reckon in an apocalypse or hunting abroad situation this would take down some big food for the table and its small and compact to shoot from a hide or motor. I like it a lot . 

IMG_5880.jpeg

IMG_5881.jpeg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Leo Sayer said:

Bit of practice at bottom of kennels. Got to say I prefer the triangle bow, am sure to a purist archer it would be a gimmick or china eBay junk for £140. But for my novice learning curve it shoots lovely and is accurate. I reckon in an apocalypse or hunting abroad situation this would take down some big food for the table and its small and compact to shoot from a hide or motor. I like it a lot . 

IMG_5880.jpeg

IMG_5881.jpeg

The bright blue and orange flights really sets the camoflage off 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Leo Sayer said:

IMG_5880.jpeg

IMG_5881.jpeg

Those are some great groups ! And I gotta say , to hell what others think, the outdoor community has why too many upright gear snobs. I bet my bottom dollar most just lol at name brand on a piece of equipment and few really know anything.

Funny story. The gun community if full of pricks who thinks their experts but really all their opinions are based on name brands and $$$, they don't really know too much.  Now I will say a lot of lower quality stuff is shit but there's a lot of decent stuff for hobby guys like your or me who have our egos in check 😎 if you having fun being ethical and not endangering yourself or others who cares lol !

Also gotta say I could not live other there and have a bow. Id probably end up at least poaching a bunny or two 😂 especially if I was out "stumping shooting" ( when you just walk around shooting tree stumps and the like, but of a field shooting / practical practice type thing) and one was dumb enough to not move

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

O ment to ask, what are you using as far as a release with your compounds currently?

I got a cheapish wrist release which I like and seems ok. I also got a thumb release of Tumu and it's dangerous as it's a released on my slingbow a couple of times as I have drawn back, so gone in bin. Managed to get a half decent thumb release in a sale on a UK archery shop but to be honest I don't like it and can't get used to it. So for the time being just cracking on with my Amazon special wrist release.  

On 11/05/2024 at 15:48, mackem said:

I just visited the only bow shop in the UK with a strong bow hunting vibe,great place,the owner is restringing my bow when my GAS string arrives from the states,he was saying he is probably closing the shop and going over to online sales as business isn’t so good,we chatted about the bloke who shot the copper with a Crossbow this week and how it’s probably a nail in the coffin for legit toxophilites.

38DE0062-F0DC-472F-BA7F-02E3CDB7D29E.jpeg

CBE6C4C5-44A0-4F9D-AC40-BF8F7A4F42BF.jpeg

BDDEA594-38D1-4BF2-9D86-5009E51F74F2.jpeg

0EF21BD7-589F-4E54-AC8A-4648ED030CAD.jpeg

A9D7C84A-376D-4B3D-ADF7-6043EBBDA93E.jpeg

F6159B10-8BA7-4547-BBC1-D2F1DC8C2FFB.jpeg

5D65D52E-636D-45D6-B944-3B046359E661.jpeg

63585F84-4CFB-447E-B173-1C7528C07458.jpeg

0D976C98-0A8B-432C-94F0-2C5B9B9B9034.jpeg

4827DB8C-788C-4E72-8170-8099DB3DB73F.jpeg

23D743F2-FB9D-44B1-9968-59715A92C732.jpeg

8C0D35E3-18EE-497D-845D-280D6AA3075D.jpeg

B8E2AB69-FC1B-49FE-94AF-B81E6BC845A1.jpeg

three women killed today in uk with a crossbow so i think that ban will come in rather quick imo 

Edited by greg64
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
6 hours ago, greg64 said:

three women killed today in uk with a crossbow so i think that ban will come in rather quick imo 

Been really busy today so totally unaware this was unfolding,RIP the ladies,horrendous story.

• Like 1