EU dog passports

I like taking my dogs abroad but since brexit this has become expensive . I didn't realise that after them having the rabies vaccinations 1 the vet didn't do the animal health certificates as they are a long winded ball ache . And 2 they are cheapest £360 a pop for 2 dogs every time you want to leave the UK to take them out and that was the cheapest quote some vets who did do the certificates wanted over £500 because my dogs wasn't registered with them . Someone told me I can take my dogs to Ireland and get them registered there for an EU passport at a vets over there does anyone know if this is true or has anyone done this .

Edited by gasaxeman
Forget to mention about having 2 dogs

That’s what I did a couple of years ago, as the costs and process for those certificates was awful and expensive. From memory the passports were about 100 Euro each.  Though I only really go over to Ireland with mine, I could go anywhere in Europe on their passports. Now ours just have to have a particular worming tablet some time in the month before travelling out there.

• Like 1

Cheers for the reply I know what you mean about costs done a bit of research and it seems you can issue a dog from the uk with the old style pet passport  new system is just a money making scam. especially as a large number of vets do not do the animal health certificate. Had both of mine jabbed up only to find the vet doesn't do the certificates as its a long winded process.  Was planning a trip out in March to see my lad who is in the FFL plus a few more trips besides .

3 hours ago, Flacko said:

What about bringing in from N Ireland 

They are still under the old system due to the northern Ireland protocol IE seamless borders agreed under brexit . so a dog imported from Northern Ireland would have the old EU style passport instead of the new British style one .

You can’t use old passports you have to use the health cert. £130 per dog per trip, and they need to have the rabies jab etc. it’s a nonsense to punish us for Brexit. There are ways around it luckily 😂 

14 hours ago, Whoknows said:

As in ti go to Northern Ireland from uk 

There still part of the UK so passport and injection,s all in order simple enough.The greyhound Transporter goes a few times a week and has no problem,s .They r a bit tougher on pup,s going cause of Puppy Peadler,s.

13 hours ago, hounddog3 said:

There still part of the UK so passport and injection,s all in order simple enough.The greyhound Transporter goes a few times a week and has no problem,s .They r a bit tougher on pup,s going cause of Puppy Peadler,s.

Aye I know, thats what I was saying. You can get into Europe via Northern Ireland. 

• Like 1