2 minutes ago, joe ox said:

Saw a handy dog with Malinois in its breeding.

Interesting cross, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one, but did hear of a good one. Makes sense on paper. I’ve really never owned a dog without bull in it so I’m under qualified to pass comment too much on other crosses.  

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morty, a filth generation lamper he tracked 7 cwd and a munty single handed during the day in January. Not to bad considering it was his first daytime jaunt out.   

Another of Maurice, tracked this and put it on the deck single handed in the middle of a field without the aid of fence or ditch, we got there it saw us panicked and full of adrenaline it managed to g

More tracking for the shooting clowns 

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Whoknows said:

Interesting cross, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one, but did hear of a good one. Makes sense on paper. I’ve really never owned a dog without bull in it so I’m under qualified to pass comment too much on other crosses.  

Bull is just part of the jigsaw I dont like to much in my lurchers, with the litters I bred the smooth coated bully looking ones were not as good as the rougher coated looking collie ones. Bull determination with collie brains is a good combination.

Edited by joe ox
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, joe ox said:

Bull is just part of the jigsaw I dont like to much in my lurchers, with the litters I bred the smooth coated bully looking ones were not as good as the rougher coated collie ones. Bull determination with collie brains is a good combination.

I would agree with you there. The best dogs I’ve owned and seen were Lurcher to Lurcher with bull and something else, usually collie or saluki. Just the right blend to give useful attributes from both. Well in theory. Usually works out well once someone has gone to the pain of weeding out the crap and getting the line / family to some sort of self producing consistency. 

• Like 2

I do like the look of them Belgium malinois n would imagine them making good lurchers in the right hands like anything tho as a pure breed or x its a shame so many messers get here hands on them..

8 minutes ago, dodger said:

I do like the look of them Belgium malinois n would imagine them making good lurchers in the right hands like anything tho as a pure breed or x its a shame so many messers get here hands on them..

The one I saw which my mate owned I think had some coursing blood in its makeup, it ran like a lamping dog though no messing about just got the job done.

Edited by joe ox
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, joe ox said:

The one I saw which my mate owned I think had some coursing blood in its makeup, it ran like a lamping dog though no messing about just got the job done.

It’s amazing the knocks they can take subduing deer, especially the bigger and angrier specimens. I would think to have any longevity in the sport, whatever cross, would need a bit of thickness and bone to it. Obviously a bit of size and strength would be beneficial too. Mind you it’s crazy what a small driven dog will manage to do even if it is a big messy and often ends in tears. 

1 hour ago, Whoknows said:

Here’s a question, which I’m fairly sure I know the answer to; but should kick off a discussion 😂  when it comes to dropping the bigger species, in particular fallow bucks. Would there be many dogs that were capable of it regular that had no bull in them ? 

Yes.

7 hours ago, Whoknows said:

Here’s a question, which I’m fairly sure I know the answer to; but should kick off a discussion 😂  when it comes to dropping the bigger species, in particular fallow bucks. Would there be many dogs that were capable of it regular that had no bull in them ? 

Have seen a couple of saluki/greys that would go in to any sized deer & not just as a one off, but they were both closely related & the only ones I have seen that would stick it out on bigger deer on even a semi regular basis. My own dogs are saluki lurcher based but they have other blood in their make up as well, I’m not one for getting hung up on pedigrees though, performance of the parents and grandparents is much more important to me than what breeds are in there

Edited by Deerhunter1
  • Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, Deerhunter1 said:

Have seen a couple of saluki/greys that would go in to any sized deer & not just as a one off, but they were both closely related & the only ones I have seen that would stick it out on bigger deer on even a semi regular basis. My own dogs are saluki lurcher based but they have other blood in their make up as well, I’m not one for getting hung up on pedigrees though, performance of the parents and grandparents is much more important to me than what breeds are in there

That's the way it should be with working dogs it's never a guarantee mind but it's best way if you want something half decent 

Just now, Penda said:

That's the way it should be with working dogs it's never a guarantee mind but it's best way if you want something half decent 

why ain’t you at work ? 

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

why ain’t you at work ? 

I am in abit dosser I'm doing the dad taxi run for everybody first can't all sit round watch good morning Britain pulling yah plonker😬

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, Whoknows said:

I would agree with you there. The best dogs I’ve owned and seen were Lurcher to Lurcher with bull and something else, usually collie or saluki. Just the right blend to give useful attributes from both. Well in theory. Usually works out well once someone has gone to the pain of weeding out the crap and getting the line / family to some sort of self producing consistency. 

Back in the day when me and a mate used to do a bit on deer and the odd times we went for fallow with our saluki hybreds with a bit of collie and bedlington in their make up that were decent dogs on roe daytime both of us were in agreement that bull blooded lurchers would be a better prospect for fallow and bigger deer i know my types would have not lived with joes dogs on fallow despite catching a few though non of them bucks.

20190214_115045.jpg

Edited by tatsblisters
Put photo on
  • Like 5

Modern camera's and digital photography are crystal clear. There is something I love about old pictures though, maybe its the history and memories that come threw on them that seems to draw you in? keep them coming

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1