Boots,Bear & Rose..

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was how Bear was every single day for a month after breaking his neck then another pic of him as he is now,I never went to bed for 30 day's,I turned him over every 2 hours to prevent him getting

Here's Boots on one of the many occasions I've worked him until almost his last breath,the dog has no quit in him,Bear & Rose his pups are exactly the same,all these dog's would lay their life on

Hope everyone has had a decent season running their dogs 👍🏻 ..another one comes to an end & that's about it for my old mongrel Boots too,he's let me know the past 4 or 5 trip's out he's had enough

Posted Images

On 16/05/2024 at 19:43, FUJI said:

Phil,I don't think there's a man alive with the longevity in this game like yourself, people come & go but you've never took your foot off the pedal so to speak,not for a minute,you've been there got the t-shirt more times than you could shake a stick. I was just a young lad & was envious of your achievements then,I'm 58 in a few weeks time so that in itself speaks of the longevity you've had with working lurchers. Decades before this internet malarkey came along your name was right up there on a pedestal because of what you were doing with the cur dog's. If ever a man has earned the respect of fellow hunters then that's you. I've never once heard you speak out of turn against another hunter,not ever. You have never stated that you owned the best dog's but I know for a fact you've owned some seriously good dog's. You've achieved more than 99.9% of lurcher owners if not every single one of us. I know our paths have never crossed face to face but like yourself I know a lot of people with lurchers & every single one of them who knows you says your a gentleman & one of the most knowledgeable people ever & not just regarding dog's. People earn respect,it's not a given & through all the year's of you working lurchers you've earned the respect of many,me included. Don't beat yourself up the day you hang the dog's leash up for good,it's time for you to put your feet up matey & enjoy life,it won't be easy I know that but you've walked the walk buddy,steady away & enjoy what lays ahead. Your a good guy,a dogman of the highest order,you should be very very proud of all & everything you've done regarding working dog's & the excellent books you've put out for us lot. Like I said..top man,brilliant dog's,superb images & awesome book's..you have nothing to prove to anyone not that you ever did but most importantly you have nothing to prove to yourself regarding working dog's,you've done it all Phil..chin up matey there's life in the old dog yet I guarantee it!

2021-03-03-205.jpg

Such kind and thoughtful words Brother,. much appreciated...🙏

Good old Don, eh...👏🏼

I remember your kindness when you generously said that I could use him over my Dusty bitch.....

Everything was planned for the long trip North from downtown Hampshire, I had my Bus fare sorted and some sandwiches packed....and then,.. a massive feck up with the dates,.. and almost overnight my bitch was standing, ready and willing,... a wee bit premature,.so I had to quickly make contingency plans to use a local Stud dog...No complaints,. the Red Cur did a fair job and my small litter was a success...

A massive shame though,..  for I believe we could have really been onto something,...and although as you so rightly said, we have never met 'face to face',.. and only talked dawgs together on the phone,...I knew that I was chatting to a genuine Mush.  

I am now,.. nearly 73 years old,....I've met a LOT of lurcher enthusiasts ,...and the facts are,...you get to know if someone is kosher pretty darn quick,...and when you told me about Don, I believed every word you said,.. and I definitely knew,..... that I was in safe hands...😉 

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 11

Just wanted to say thanks to all & everyone who has commented or liked a post/image on this topic,it's very much appreciated..thankyou,hope you all have a great day 👍🏻 ...apart from this fecking thing Rose who will be getting a size 10 up her rear end if she continues with this crap just now when I take them out.. 😤😤

IMG_20240517_051722.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, OldPhil said:

Such kind and thoughtful words Brother,. much appreciated...🙏

Good old Don, eh...👏🏼

I remember your kindness when you generously said that I could use him over my Dusty bitch.....

Everything was planned for the long trip North from downtown Hampshire, I had my Bus fare sorted and some sandwiches packed....and then,.. a massive feck up with the dates,.. and almost overnight my bitch was standing, ready and willing,... a wee bit premature,.so I had to quickly make contingency plans to use a local Stud dog...No complaints,. the Red Cur did a fair job and my small litter was a success...

A massive shame though,..  for I believe we could have really been onto something,...and although as you so rightly said, we have never met 'face to face',.. and only talked dawgs together on the phone,...I knew that I was chatting to a genuine Mush.  

I am now,.. nearly 73 years old,....I've met a LOT of lurcher enthusiasts ,...and the facts are,...you get to know if someone is kosher pretty darn quick,...and when you told me about Don, I believed every word you said,.. and I definitely knew,..... that I was in safe hands...😉 

Salisbury Adrian November 2010 298.jpg

salisbury roe and rabbits 16 october 012.jpg

Thanks Phil, yeah was a shame regarding Don & Dusty but like you say thing's worked out ok in the end. Old Don was a fantastic servant,ugly as sin but he gave us many year's of wonderful memories,a dog that would die trying,bottomless stamina,the cleverest dog I've ever owned in my life. Nighttime & daytime came alike to him Phil,great working with the ferrets,fantastic at hunting up be that out on the hill,in forestry or dense cover,perfect around an earth with the terrier's,controlling vermin & covids with a gun he was great,he just put himself in the right place everytime to make a catch & or retrieve something that had been shot. Lovely dog,never ever put a foot wrong in life & hand on heart I've never owned a dog that tried harder than him. You could be right in that between him & your Dusty we may well of been onto something quite 'special' but alas we will never know. I have never understood why especially in latter year's the cur lurcher hasn't made a popularity comeback now with how the laws are regarding hunting with dog's. I haven't kept them anywhere near as long as yourself but in the 40 year's I ran them I had some unbelievable times with them. Great times,great dog's,cur dog's were & always will be the apple's of my eyes.

IMG_20211116_083127.jpg

• Like 11
13 hours ago, Franks dad said:

Great pic !!!  … missus loves the Pom ( Tiz a Pom not a small designer fox ? ) 

Yeah she was a Pom matey sadly she passed away back in 2021 at the age of 15,she was like my shadow,best dog I've ever owned in my life,she had the most wonderful character. I miss her every single day that I wake up to. Brilliant dog was my little Ruby 💔

IMG_20210911_103857.jpg

IMG_20210906_093514.jpg

1715935369916-01.jpeg

• Like 11
23 hours ago, FUJI said:

The one's I seen in my younger day's were far from 'hardy types' in fact quite the opposite mC..I hated them or the ones I seen working anyway. In the past 20 year's or so I've seen some very good one's,the spread of the internet allowed me to meet up with people with Saluki types through forums such as this & fortunately I had my mind changed about them, especially for daytime work. There's good dog's of all types,hardy dogs amongst them. I had decades of great hunting with heavily saturated collie types,they were the types that etched my path in regards to hunting & I will always love a good cur cross but the Saluki types showed me thing's that no other type I'd ever owned could,if I lived for another 50 years & was able to work lurchers all those year's what I will say is that it would be with Saluki types,that isn't to say they are better than any other type it's just that they can do (if the right type) to a good standard what i like a dog to do. 

1699528373609-01.jpeg

good post mate id say a collie lurcher tends to be hardy aswell there not going to break down like a bull x or grew etc 

i’m  the same they suit me for what i do 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, OldPhil said:

🤔Well I'm a lifelong advocate of the Herding composites,...I find them real easy to school for most of the tasks that I needed them to do,.. BUT,...my tumultuous decade of using a Saluki hybrid for freelancing,...assisted me in getting on the housing ladder (and nobody in my family had ever managed that😂)..so, I would have to say that (for me personally) no lurcher hybrid can match a powerful , quality Saluki lurcher, for all round harvesting of saleable critters,...be they Hares, Deer or shushis....

However, such driven canines do require an equally driven partner to bring the best out of their undeniable physical attributes...in saying that,...I still love me canny cur dawgs above all else...👍

Feb 2011 Hares Pewsey 096.jpg

_K1A6955 (2).jpg

cracking pics again mate 

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

good post mate id say a collie lurcher tends to be hardy aswell there not going to break down like a bull x or grew etc 

I've ran out of likes matey haha, yeah likewise they suit me these day's too

IMG_20210525_213722.jpg

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

Get bent u dosser

• Haha 5
7 hours ago, FUJI said:

Yeah she was a Pom matey sadly she passed away back in 2021 at the age of 15,she was like my shadow,best dog I've ever owned in my life,she had the most wonderful character. I miss her every single day that I wake up to. Brilliant dog was my little Ruby 💔

IMG_20210911_103857.jpg

IMG_20210906_093514.jpg

1715935369916-01.jpeg

She’s got a presence about her in the top pic , the way her heads held …. Great great pic 

• Thanks 1

My Mrs & I had her young pup out yesterday afternoon & whilst crossing a field on a public footpath the pup managed to put herself a bunny up,she's seen odd ones here & there,usually in thick cover when with the terrier but this is the 1st one she's had a gallop on out in the open,she never caught it as it was a wise little thing & never broke stride as it made it to safety through the fencing,still it was another step in the right direction regarding her education,it won't be too long until she makes her maiden catch I don't think 😁

1715961964147-01.jpeg

• Like 5
4 hours ago, FUJI said:

My Mrs & I had her young pup out yesterday afternoon & whilst crossing a field on a public footpath the pup managed to put herself a bunny up,she's seen odd ones here & there,usually in thick cover when with the terrier but this is the 1st one she's had a gallop on out in the open,she never caught it as it was a wise little thing & never broke stride as it made it to safety through the fencing,still it was another step in the right direction regarding her education,it won't be too long until she makes her maiden catch I don't think 😁

1715961964147-01.jpeg

Never caught it aye ,don't tell hull ffs he'll say it must have bull in it 

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, FUJI said:

1715961964147-01.jpeg

Is that emmerdale I  the background 

• Like 1
On 17/05/2024 at 09:38, FUJI said:

Re Ruby: For the last few years I've been considering getting a different breed for a change and your tales of Ruby was one of the reasons I realized that it's more about the individual dog than the breed. I doubt if all Poms are like her.

• Like 1