Plumbers Swages

11 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

Bit weird as they're marked up in Imperial sizes, I'd have thought they'd be metric, 15mm 22mm etc.

I didn't spot that, Perhaps plumbers are not into metric sizes yet Lol

4 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

That's for steel not copper.

Copper and brass pipe fittings were made with bsp threads before we went metric.

Im not a pipe fitter but I thought maybe those swages were for swaging pre metric, imperial size pipe. 
Cheers.

9 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Copper and brass pipe fittings were made with bsp threads before we went metric.

Im not a pipe fitter but I thought maybe those swages were for swaging pre metric, imperial size pipe. 
Cheers.

I could be wrong as i say i have no idea about them but they appear to be to new to be old imperial stuff, again i have no clue as to why there in imperial sizes, I do understand swaging though, when i was engineering manager in an automotive component manufacturing company, We had various swaging machines, either reducing or bulging pipes. Most went up to NSK in Peterlee, Steering column's, 

3 minutes ago, paulus said:

I could be wrong as i say i have no idea about them but they appear to be to new to be old imperial stuff, again i have no clue as to why there in imperial sizes, I do understand swaging though, when i was engineering manager in an automotive component manufacturing company, We had various swaging machines, either reducing or bulging pipes. Most went up to NSK in Peterlee, Steering column's, 

Just a thought, but are those tools British or American ? Don’t the yanks still use inches ?

As for swaging, I was thinking along the lines of construction pipe fitting rather than automation. How many pipe fitters still use swaging to join pipes ? I’m just guessing here but I’d think most use a soldered/brazed/ welded coupling or compression joint.

Maybe we have some pipe fitters on here that can help us out.

Cheers.

Just had a closer look at the first pic, the one with the joints. 
A few years ago I put a screw through a 22mm hot water pipe in my house. My mate who has an HVAC business came round and cut out the damaged part of the pipe and slid one of those couplings in and crimped it with a hand operated hydraulic press. Hey presto, repaired in minutes, no soldering or welding. 
Still don’t know why those are imperial though ?

Cheers.

I do a bit but mostly welded pipe. Mapress is fairly standard over here , many sizes are interchangeable between metric and imperial. I've not heard of megapress might be generic mapress or might be some Yankee system , I'm sure a Google or look on eBay you'll get a few answers. I saw a load of mapress 15 ripped out ran through three building and was blocked, whoever installed forgot to remove a few of the plastic bungs that new fittings come with lol....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
39 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

That looks remarkably like what my pal repaired my pipe with .

Cheers.

plastic speed fits easy and quick aswell chart question is what is a man of your calibre doing going threw water pipes lol