Using rat Poison around kennels

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Little place by me...the horse girls had been  using Half poison/half layers pellets in those tubs,they were in and out all day long...had 30 odd with the 2 terriers and my lurcher bitch first morni

Used 2 have them for feeders wi the spirals underneath, badgers used to stretch the spirals and deer would knock um over but the only thing that actually got in as such was pox ridden squirrels they a

I had chickens ,since I got rid had no.more rats ,like dc said you have keep it clean but sometimes it's some scruffy neighbour that breeds the rats and they just go in everyone else's gardens ,my nei

10 minutes ago, colliexgreyhound said:

Have a bit of a problem with rats around the pens. Having been gettin a few in traps but definitely a few that are wise to them. Was wondering if it’s safe to put down poison don’t want to take the chance of a dog dying by eating a poisoned rat

There is a "professional only" product that kills rats in a different way to the common blood thinning formulas . It's  dangerous to dogs and wildlife in its  primary  form but   evidence is that it seems to offer a "lower" risk of secondary poisoning .

I had a conversation with a rep for it and he said that "in field trials no evidence of secondary poisoning  had been detected." That's  as far as he was prepared to comment . Certainly not a definite statement regarding its safety .

It isn't available to the untrained anyway.

Best stick with the idea that any poison round dogs is risky . 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Peter4190 said:

Air rifle an night vision sorted my rat problem out and it was enjoyable at the same time 👍

yep, i did mine , and got a few,   in the  day ,so night vision   deff be lot better . dont know what his set up is , but if in shed or raised  floor, you could put the poison under the shed of under the floor say 5 ft away  no dog get to that, the rats just die in there. but if not got these set up like i have, well shoot them at night .

1 hour ago, bird said:

yep, i did mine , and got a few,   in the  day ,so night vision   deff be lot better . dont know what his set up is , but if in shed or raised  floor, you could put the poison under the shed of under the floor say 5 ft away  no dog get to that, the rats just die in there. but if not got these set up like i have, well shoot them at night .

There’s a hedge at back of the pens where they seem to be coming from and also a farm 60 metres away so I’d imagine there will always be a few knocking about. just worried incase a poisoned rat got into the pens and they ate it. One of the dogs killed a rat before that got into the pens 

22 minutes ago, colliexgreyhound said:

There’s a hedge at back of the pens where they seem to be coming from and also a farm 60 metres away so I’d imagine there will always be a few knocking about. just worried incase a poisoned rat got into the pens and they ate it. One of the dogs killed a rat before that got into the pens 

22 minutes ago, colliexgreyhound said:

A few lads with there terriers and a smoke machine. 

23 hours ago, comanche said:

There is a "professional only" product that kills rats in a different way to the common blood thinning formulas . It's  dangerous to dogs and wildlife in its  primary  form but   evidence is that it seems to offer a "lower" risk of secondary poisoning .

I had a conversation with a rep for it and he said that "in field trials no evidence of secondary poisoning  had been detected." That's  as far as he was prepared to comment . Certainly not a definite statement regarding its safety .

It isn't available to the untrained anyway.

Best stick with the idea that any poison round dogs is risky . 

Selontra...it kills by basically giving the rodent a massive dose  of vitamin D3..

Kills quite quick compared to Aniticolaguant type baits 

12 minutes ago, TOMO said:

Selontra...it kills by basically giving the rodent a massive dose  of vitamin D3..

Kills quite quick compared to Aniticolaguant type baits 

What would you suggest to a stables or farm if they called you in due to a rat problem and you noticed they also had kennels there n you couldn't dogs or ferrets.

I don't know anything about these poisons but the rats go lethargic of the usual ones don't they? But even if the dogs don't kill a rat my thinking is all it takes Is for a rat to run across one beams they run up n down in the ceiling etc drop abit of poison n the dog eats even abit?

Then you have rat piss another evil and alot of these game crops on shoots are full of rats makes me consider about the yearly booster for lepto

18 minutes ago, dodger said:

What would you suggest to a stables or farm if they called you in due to a rat problem and you noticed they also had kennels there n you couldn't dogs or ferrets.

I don't know anything about these poisons but the rats go lethargic of the usual ones don't they? But even if the dogs don't kill a rat my thinking is all it takes Is for a rat to run across one beams they run up n down in the ceiling etc drop abit of poison n the dog eats even abit?

Then you have rat piss another evil and alot of these game crops on shoots are full of rats makes me consider about the yearly booster for lepto

Smoker and the dogs..shooting...or using poison...

They all have there place...

that selontra is good stuff though...

• Like 1