Boar hunting with dogs in the UK ?

1 minute ago, downsouth said:

Cant see why anybody would want to import a type specifically to hunt just boar and nothing else.I wouldnt imagine that anybody can go at enough of them to keep a dog for just them,Especially when they can be taken with dogs that can be used for other stuff

There was a fella on here imported a dog from Oz. It looked like a thick set deerhound . He said it tracked and and held and did not pursue any other game. Totally wedded to pigs. I asked him to let me know if it ever sired a litter but he didnt. Another member on here approached him to serve a bitch but I don't know if a matingn ever took place.

I had a deerhoundy bitch which was only interested in big game. Turned her nose up at anything other than what she was bred for.

I'm only going on what he said.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People in the UK aren't hungry, they are just fckin stupid. Food banks are just a politised weapon.  Try putting an advert on Facebook offering free pheasant,duck or rabbit.....watch the explosio

As I said on another thread, Australia encourages hunting, it’s illegal in the UK. Same with New Zealand, it’s legal to hunt Boars there, but illegal here, with draconian punishments! In New

Half the F**king idiots over here cant train their dogs to not kill sheep and other livestock so theyve got no chance of making them ignore other game

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

There was a fella on here imported a dog from Oz. It looked like a thick set deerhound . He said it tracked and and held and did not pursue any other game. Totally wedded to pigs. I asked him to let me know if it ever sired a litter but he didnt. Another member on here approached him to serve a bitch but I don't know if a matingn ever took place.

I had a deerhoundy bitch which was only interested in big game. Turned her nose up at anything other than what she was bred for.

I'm only going on what he said.

When my old saluki had to be put down at 17 years old in Saudi, the friend who gave him to me sent a Doberman to replace him It wasn’t a breed that was even on my list of dogs I’d own, but it would have been churlish and disrespectful to have refused it , but I’d far rather he had given me another saluki ! 
Anyhow, when I retired I brought it home with me and it happily worked alongside the lurchers. 
I spoke to him many times about sending me a Bedouin bred saluki bitch, preferably in pup, but why go to all the bother when probably the best coursing dogs are bred here in the UK ?

Ive often thought about importing one of the “exotic” running breeds, but it would just be a vanity project with no practical advantage.

Cheers.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, jukel123 said:

There have been boar dogs imported to the UK. Amazes me how they focus on one prey animal when there are enticing smells of deer, fox, hare etc. I suppose its the same with foxhounds. They can run-through sheep and stay focused on sheep...in theory. Working boar dogs here would be strictly under the radar.

Wait , is that not a common thing to train dogs to specialize like that over there ?  I know here you talk to most guys , if you have a coon hounds , it's only going after coon , deer hounds only deer, rabbit dogs ONLY RABBIT. Lotta guys will point blank kill a dog off the rip of they see them go after anything other then what their supposed to go about.... I mean there's a some guys who have dogs that are a multi purpose type things I guess . That's what my mutts always end up doing , somehow, not sure how they figure it out because I don't train them but they seem to understand if I shoot a bird out the sky I mihht like it if they go get it. If I'm around a brain patch I might like it if they jump a rabbit.... That and I kinda watch them and work with what their doing .

Best dog I had was a little Chihuahua Weiner dog mix thing that wandered up to the house half starved , never really trained her but if I brought her around a blood trail shed just pick it up and go. If I pointed her as some critter and it was dumb enough to move ...well,  mean little shit would help move cows too 😂 idk all the strays I've adopted have always seemed to try really hard to impress 🤔

Edited by Wolfdog91
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

As I said on another thread, Australia encourages hunting, it’s illegal in the UK.

Same with New Zealand, it’s legal to hunt Boars there, but illegal here, with draconian punishments!

In New Zealand you just let the police and the forestry commission know when and where you’ll be hunting, and there’s even government huts provide free out in the bush if you overnight !

A few pics from the first time I was down there over 30 years ago ;

A75B2CFA-49F7-435B-B940-6118585C2C35.jpeg.408c72de17a0e45cbad55b42b4213ca2.jpeg

E8454BF6-5878-445F-A3DD-86B2C1DDC6DD.jpeg.af3517d8a174f756083ad580af47db0e.jpeg

C9FBE72C-B342-496F-81A9-34A82BC13B8A.jpeg.82760550306c23f8d305d7f4ca7f2836.jpeg

ADF6ED2F-19D4-4F26-9317-E5775FC6B8C1.jpeg.eae00f469f190a71f20b4b3c427064d6.jpeg

AAEC07E6-114E-457A-BFDF-60F8271061DC.jpeg.9437add42bd4a9510cd2f5c25a2ef4d8.jpeg

D0A4EDDC-F872-4BDE-82ED-FDF50BB1A6F3.jpeg.db491799e43f1a76eda4f933a1812f1a.jpeg

Cheers.

Yeah if I come over to the UK I'm hunting you down , need to sit down and listen to some of your stories 

2 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

People in the UK aren't hungry, they are just fckin stupid. Food banks are just a politised weapon. 

Try putting an advert on Facebook offering free pheasant,duck or rabbit.....watch the explosion of hate 🤣

I can't even give free rainbow trout away 

If you garden you can render them down to fish oil and emulsion very easy.  Not sure who would buy the oil because it's not really something for human consumption, it's really sought after over here by trappers but I know the sludge left over is supposed to be some high grade fertilizer

Not hard either guy I know on FB make sir with just some modified buckets. Works about the same way as wine making 

Screenshot_20231025-045943.png.687d90f03e706485f23f0cc6af528ea3.pngScreenshot_20231025-050020.png.ae32160aea7df1f6cf59993c8e2a04b8.png

I was reading about the bolsheviks banning borzois because they were associated with the tsars. It reminded me of a borzoi I used to walk for a woman when I was a kid. She was a dog hoarder and her house stunk of dog piss.  The air in her house  floated with dog hair  and dust from their coats.The other dogs were too wild to walk, but this dog, 'George' used to wait for me at the door at 5 ish. He was a really gentle , dignified dog. The packs of street dogs used to target him and snap,at his ankles and he would show his teeth with irritation at them. I wonder where the f**k he come from and how did he arrive in Salford in the fifties? I had a vague idea he was a hunting dog and would show him cats but he wasn't interested. I've often thought about a borzoi as a pet/ worker but lads have all said there's absolutely no working ability left. Shame.

31 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Yeah if I come over to the UK I'm hunting you down , need to sit down and listen to some of your stories 

And you’d be very welcome. 
I’ve been to the states a few times, hated New York, Boston was OK, loved Texas !

Sadly the only hunting I did over there was watching a couple of staghounds being straight lined by a white tail, when I was staying in San Antonio.

Always  meant to go and see Dan and his coyote hounds in Illinois, but never got round to it, maybe some day !

Cheers.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Could you just set up some kinda food bank donations deal or do y'all have pretty stringent stuff with government food health folks ?  Know in a lot of places over here where their a big problem they they shoot literal hundreds a week  there but hers and stuff that will take some time to prep the meat into sausage or what have you and donate it to needy families or food banks. Technically it's illegal in a lot of states due to not having USDA certified whatever but I mean if your in hard times and the nice guy from up the road brings you a cooler of sausage to stock up your freezer ...well .

I mean honestly I reckon if you word it right , " free range organic wild pork , ethically harvested , something something "

Think I remember talking to some Aussies who had luck doing that with nuisance rabbits. They where just giving them away skinned gutted and vacuum sealed. Need to see about finding them guys again and asking them about that 🤔

Reckon you could also compost the carcasses down or something else ....

Mate, 

sorry but we just dont live like you lot do over there. 

I don’t know who you’re talking to about life in the uk with sone of your posts . But you can’t relate 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

I was reading about the bolsheviks banning borzois because they were associated with the tsars. It reminded me of a borzoi I used to walk for a woman when I was a kid. She was a dog hoarder and her house stunk of dog piss.  The air in her house  floated with dog hair  and dust from their coats.The other dogs were too wild to walk, but this dog, 'George' used to wait for me at the door at 5 ish. He was a really gentle , dignified dog. The packs of street dogs used to target him and snap,at his ankles and he would show his teeth with irritation at them. I wonder where the f**k he come from and how did he arrive in Salford in the fifties? I had a vague idea he was a hunting dog and would show him cats but he wasn't interested. I've often thought about a borzoi as a pet/ worker but lads have all said there's absolutely no working ability left. Shame.

I was judging the lurchers at Yorkshire Game Fair one year and a woman was walking around with a nice looking borzoi bitch, about 26-27”. I thought “I hope she enters that in the show”. She did, but when I got my hands on it, it was covered in fleas and flea bites ! I had to ask her to leave the ring.

I also judged a borzoi and a borzoi/collie cross in Scotland but the owner said they weren’t workers.

Borzoi and borzoi/collie cross;

3C5A8D48-B8CD-4734-BC04-BF139514098C.jpeg.6111260d9888e43701083388a4c9d761.jpeg

6BFCB973-773F-4A47-B708-CF1459F40982.jpeg.abb6177e268324b21d7388464362d4ee.jpeg

A borzoi in Australia, I think the owner may be a member on here,

9A37B448-9749-4659-91CE-2D474812A384.jpeg.447e78011e91c59f0e74763bc9a4ba41.jpeg

I know which one I’d prefer to own !

Cheers.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Wait , is that not a common thing to train dogs to specialize like that over there ?  I know here you talk to most guys , if you have a coon hounds , it's only going after coon , deer hounds only deer, rabbit dogs ONLY RABBIT. Lotta guys will point blank kill a dog off the rip of they see them go after anything other then what their supposed to go about.... I mean there's a some guys who have dogs that are a multi purpose type things I guess . That's what my mutts always end up doing , somehow, not sure how they figure it out because I don't train them but they seem to understand if I shoot a bird out the sky I mihht like it if they go get it. If I'm around a brain patch I might like it if they jump a rabbit.... That and I kinda watch them and work with what their doing .

Best dog I had was a little Chihuahua Weiner dog mix thing that wandered up to the house half starved , never really trained her but if I brought her around a blood trail shed just pick it up and go. If I pointed her as some critter and it was dumb enough to move ...well,  mean little shit would help move cows too 😂 idk all the strays I've adopted have always seemed to try really hard to impress 🤔

Half the F**king idiots over here cant train their dogs to not kill sheep and other livestock so theyve got no chance of making them ignore other game

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, chartpolski said:

As I said on another thread, Australia encourages hunting, it’s illegal in the UK.

Same with New Zealand, it’s legal to hunt Boars there, but illegal here, with draconian punishments!

In New Zealand you just let the police and the forestry commission know when and where you’ll be hunting, and there’s even government huts provide free out in the bush if you overnight !

A few pics from the first time I was down there over 30 years ago ;

A75B2CFA-49F7-435B-B940-6118585C2C35.jpeg.408c72de17a0e45cbad55b42b4213ca2.jpeg

E8454BF6-5878-445F-A3DD-86B2C1DDC6DD.jpeg.af3517d8a174f756083ad580af47db0e.jpeg

C9FBE72C-B342-496F-81A9-34A82BC13B8A.jpeg.82760550306c23f8d305d7f4ca7f2836.jpeg

ADF6ED2F-19D4-4F26-9317-E5775FC6B8C1.jpeg.eae00f469f190a71f20b4b3c427064d6.jpeg

AAEC07E6-114E-457A-BFDF-60F8271061DC.jpeg.9437add42bd4a9510cd2f5c25a2ef4d8.jpeg

D0A4EDDC-F872-4BDE-82ED-FDF50BB1A6F3.jpeg.db491799e43f1a76eda4f933a1812f1a.jpeg

Cheers.

Absolute nothing but respect for the life you have lead mate

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

Some deer grey X borzoi pups on pets4homes at the minute, not something you see much of

There was a lad in Ireland who bred borzoi/saluki/greyhounds who brought a leash of them over to Selby.

Very nice looking dogs, he offered to sell me an 18 month old dog, with a trial on hares, for £300.

I was tempted but I had enough dogs at the time.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1