Grass roots

10 hours ago, saluki bouy said:

My old and local club earlston rfc are doing excellent just now bottom of the bottom league but been 7 years since we’ve had a “team” those boys all love each other drink with each other etc like we did and of to a running start for the season ...... but id love to see them promoted same time I’d hate it because I know and experienced what happens after over confidence more travelling means more boys using cars not bus less bonding more loosing better options for the better players at other clubs that are winning that would pay 

our saving grace is we have the best sevens rugby tournament in the world money from that keeps us afloat and it’s still a family club I’m down every home game with my kids and half a dozen other boys and dads I played with are the same to reminisce swear and be jealous 

I was never into rugby but I can identify with what you write there because that’s what local football (or rugby) is all about.

Its a hard balance between wanting to progress as a club & players and not loosing what made you “you” ?

That, imho, is where good club management come in……they create the ethic around a club, I think it’s perfectly possible to be a team striving to live & progress and get better and at the same time remain something still Connected to the community around you. 
I think players moving on to bigger and better things should be regarded as a mark of success by clubs & fans, it shows you are doing something right but at the same time that means you have to encourage a stream of new players coming through the ranks to replace them (and know they will be given a chance to play and prove themselves rather than sticking with the regulars safe option) and also strive to be a club that these players want to stay at rather than have to leave to progress.

The fans also have to understand what you are doing and why.

Its a lot of balls to juggle in the air and that takes a forward thinking committee and management team imho.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Always been a very good club mate, was Western League when I played, but Southern Premier now, one of the sides in the league is Merthyr... there's a side from Plymouth in it ..there's some travelling in that league now!

My old man played for merthyr, years ago lol.

Can barely believe I've posted something 'football' related, as I have NO interest in it at all!!  Lol  👍