Working whippets

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

back in the good old days, ferrets n whippet, having fun

Flynn , a dog who I was lucky enough to spend 14yrs with , had some memorable times with him , epitomised man’s best friend.

Posted Images

On 25/09/2023 at 23:10, lanesra said:

efceecc8-4e54-4fcc-9da6-03ed08c8d35e.jpeg.b6309bdd12a0f70ff54ac1b7356d37dc.jpegFlynn , a dog who I was lucky enough to spend 14yrs with , had some memorable times with him , epitomised man’s best friend.

Seen this dog work solidly for 7/8 seasons day night a real top end speed merchant and plenty early pace as the breed renown for got lots of pics somewhere on old memory card will try find it and get some posted Atb taffey 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, taffey said:

Seen this dog work solidly for 7/8 seasons day night a real top end speed merchant and plenty early pace as the breed renown for got lots of pics somewhere on old memory card will try find it and get some posted Atb taffey 

looks a big strong whippet, how big was he? 

Just read this old but new book on whippets and the few pictures in it seems like the chests on the racing non peds ?

Were a lot more shallow in comparison to the show stuff.

Surprised me as I thought a bigger sheet cavity would mean more wind and bigger lungs 20230929_112359.jpg.11d5a68fbbe8ece7a65bec3cac059d0d.jpg

7 hours ago, Chaff said:

Just read this old but new book on whippets and the few pictures in it seems like the chests on the racing non peds ?

Surprised me as I thought a bigger sheet cavity would mean more wind and bigger lungs 20230929_112359.jpg.11d5a68fbbe8ece7a65bec3cac059d0d.jpg

They are very long in the back compared 2 the roach backed things that u could run faster usen than 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Chaff said:

What you should have spotted is the straight back on the race one, The hooped back on the pedigree one is what causes them to suffer with spinal issues as they age. it also effects there balance when turning.  

1 minute ago, paulus said:

What you should have spotted is the straight back on the race one, The hooped back on the pedigree one is what causes them to suffer with spinal issues as they age. it also effects there balance when turning.  

I see is that why they added grey blood maybe.

The best rabbiting whippet i have ever seen was a little 18" TTs one called Dino, No idea on breeding but this thing was insane, At the time we lived on an estate that had a landfill directly behind it, They covered it over and grassed it and turned it into a park, Short grass and nearby cover equals impossible rabbits Lol This thing made catching them on there look like it was just playing. 

1 minute ago, paulus said:

The best rabbiting whippet i have ever seen was a little 18" TTs one called Dino, No idea on breeding but this thing was insane, At the time we lived on an estate that had a landfill directly behind it, They covered it over and grassed it and turned it into a park, Short grass and nearby cover equals impossible rabbits Lol This thing made catching them on there look like it was just playing. 

Ped or non mate

7 hours ago, Chaff said:

Is that a non-ped though ?

The pedigree whippet came in three versions , show, race and coursing.

The lines are somewhat blurred now, but the coursing lines where, usually, heavier boned than the show and racing types.

I judged a big pedigree whippet show in Ireland some years ago and the Supreme champion, the best "working" whippet, and the "whippet the judge would most like to take home" were three completely different built dogs !

Heres a photo of a top class non-ped my pal owns, it would be laughed out of the ring at a pedigree show, but would give any pedigree at least 20 yards start over 150 yards and win handsomely 

IMG_1536.JPG.44889b61a1b3d4053eaabe3d01309fe4.JPG

"Horses for courses", as they say.

Cheers.

Cheers

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Chaff said:

Ped or non mate

No idea. He belonged to a mate of a mate. On that sort of ground he was mustard, Any larger ground and i think he would have struggled but turn, i have never seen a dog turn as quick even to this day, He came to a very sad end but that's another story that's best left in the past Lol

10 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Is that a non-ped though ?

The pedigree whippet came in three versions , show, race and coursing.

The lines are somewhat blurred now, but the coursing lines where, usually, heavier boned than the show and racing types.

I judged a big pedigree whippet show in Ireland some years ago and the Supreme champion, the best "working" whippet, and the "whippet the judge would most like to take home" were three completely different built dogs !

Heres a photo of a top class non-ped my pal owns, it would be laughed out of the ring at a pedigree show, but would give any pedigree at least 20 yards start over 150 yards and win handsomely 

IMG_1536.JPG.44889b61a1b3d4053eaabe3d01309fe4.JPG

"Horses for courses", as they say.

Cheers.

Cheers

Now i look at that and i see a whippet/greyhound of some description, Nice looking dog though. He may well win over 150 yards but how would he do over 50 yards? Lol