What to look for when choosing a pup

16 minutes ago, Lurcher23 said:

I couldn’t comment as my dogs aren’t old but I watched a video of a bloke who claims that dogs can live until around 20 providing its done correctly and depending on other factors obviously 

On a serious note ,I know of a guy who had a saluki deer grey that lived to 37 year old 

• Haha 4

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

🤔Personally,...I don't think we should over-complicate the situation, when selecting a dog for rabbit hunting... Most lurcher types can handle this particular quarry,..obviously, some are better

Get someone else to pick one for u then moan like feck at them if its no good 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Lurcher23 said:

I couldn’t comment as my dogs aren’t old but I watched a video of a bloke who claims that dogs can live until around 20 providing its done correctly and depending on other factors obviously 

Thought so... you've been commenting plenty and even started a thread😂

Don't eat yellow snow👍

• Haha 1
On 01/09/2023 at 20:53, Black neck said:

Things 2 look.into besides the working for a dosser like me would be like how are the parent dogs in kennels  and with other dogs is a main un dog aggression anywhere in the line would be avoided like the plague and how they are around quarry ,ok if there always run single like some of these liars reckon  but note worse than a dog standing over summat challenging all and sundry 2 dare even glance at the wretched cadaver 

Alas I digress 🙄

What do you mean when you say always run single?🙂

On 01/09/2023 at 15:03, Chaff said:

Well this time around what I'm looking for are.

To come from good working parents that do what I would like do with pup. ( rabbits)

I think more site hound and less collie Terrier as my last had too much going on, took months to stop him herding and digging lol

Also I'm going to hold this one back for the first 18months of its life and then introduce to the chase.

Anyone disagree or can add something to the above that I've missed

Cheers 

🤔Personally,...I don't think we should over-complicate the situation, when selecting a dog for rabbit hunting...

Most lurcher types can handle this particular quarry,..obviously, some are better than others....

We have bred and worked several different hybrids, over much of the UK,..and one of my prime requisites has always been, adaptablity.

Facts are, when arriving at the new venue/job,..one often has scant knowledge of the 'lie of the land',..in short, you are going in blind, and for that reason alone, a working dog ( and man ) must adapt quickly, to all manner of awkward situations.

To assist in the eduction of a useful working pal,..I prefer to get my young pups , out into the woods, or on top of a bury, at the earliest age possible...

There is much to learn, before becoming a made dog,..so I favour starting school,..as soon as we can....😉

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 11
35 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

🤔Personally,...I don't think we should over-complicate the situation, when selecting a dog for rabbit hunting...

Most lurcher types can handle this particular quarry,..obviously, some are better than others....

We have bred and worked several different hybrids, over much of the UK,..and one of my prime requisites has always been, adaptablity.

Facts are, when arriving at the new venue/job,..one often has scant knowledge of the 'lie of the land',..in short, you are going in blind, and for that reason alone, a working dog ( and man ) must adapt quickly, to all manner of awkward situations.

To assist in the eduction of a useful working pal,..I prefer to get my young pups , out into the woods, or on top of a bury, at the earliest age possible...

There is much to learn, before becoming a made dog,..so I favour starting school,..as soon as we can....😉

Dusty,Swifty (2).jpg

Honey February 2006 12 weeks 005 (3).jpg

Thank you Phil experienced wise words I will take on board.

I took my lad at around 14 weeks as the season started and every week after he got used to ferrets nets and was soon doing as the older dogs did which included disappearing and hunting up while we picked up.That I think was a mistake and should of had him back on lead until next bury netted.

As in later life this became a pain and well I had no control and around 18months age he was catching what I didn't want and got me in a spot of bother with landowners and Joe public he always came back and a quick check of dog told the story.

That's where I think I went wrong mate ?

Wise words from Phil......For a "thinking" dog ; owner input ,schooling ,earning the dog's trust and building a bond from a very young age   leads to a harmonious relationship of a type you won't  get by relying  on pedigree alone  or bribing with tit bits.

As for picking a puppy .I wouldn't necessarily  pick one just because it was the supposed "pick of   the litter" unless l actually felt a liking for it's character  or had a good feeling about it . But each to their own🤷‍♂️

I pulled this little man from a litter of seven- week old  puppies because while his mates were scrabbling about the breeder's legs waiting to be fed he dived under the vacant heat lamp and started rolling gleefully on his back.Screenshot_20230309-214938_DuckDuckGo.jpg.fa34570eb61f0bf6be19e162f1529b8d.jpg

Thus was displayed his  quirky  character and ability to show  initiative  . This trait of paying attention to things and waying situations up more than makes up for his non existent pedigree.

Screenshot_20230309-214926_DuckDuckGo.jpg.0f3c1ed7568b83f56d322fd0839f30c8.jpg

20230816_080905.jpg.4d86878123bc169ca8ad74579d00b14c.jpgHere he is 14 years later "somewhere above the clouds" in Cumbria. We weren't  lost .....honest...ahem 😁🙄

Edited by comanche
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

first of all know exactly what you want it for not all lurcher is the same. for example here we want dogs that can hunt like a pointer, the speed to make quick catch while being robust enough not to be broked down all the time, enough bottle to take on teeth and tusk without being suicidal. now to find that pup that will fill that roll ofcause starting with parents that are doing the job is number 1. looking at the physical traits of the pups as to wether they match the parents.once at this point it is time to start watching temperment 1 is dont pick the sook if it can stand up for its self without being the bully is right for me you do not want the one starting the fight but you want the one finishing it. 2 is the pup that has the confidence to wonder of on its own and check stuff out but not come  screaming back in fear. althose things tends to cut a litter down quite a bit. this not something that can all be done in five minites having raised a lot of litters i watch them from the time they are up and about. hope that helps obviously my needs in a staghound are perticular for the game I hunt but im sure the same methods can be tuned to lurchers that are used for different jobs. 

• Like 2