Produce your own.........

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to be a big up take for threads on off grid living or self sustainability so thought I would stick it in here lads because the 'living of land and game cooking' section doesn't get much traffic

Ohhhh yesss!!!!

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, hot dog said:

No idea about bee keeping but as away to make money for a small holder wouldn't it be more profitable than selling eggs.

I don't sell eating eggs, gift them to a few people. I was selling hatching eggs on ebay, was averaging £16 'profit' for 6 eggs after postage....no point selling eating eggs when can get that much.

Local honey round us sells for 6quid a jar but Could be 4-500 to get set up with bees.

All the bits I've been doing are about providing for us as a family, if we can sell a bit then great, but not focused on the money side.👍

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, ryaldinhio said:

I don't sell eating eggs, gift them to a few people. I was selling hatching eggs on ebay, was averaging £16 'profit' for 6 eggs after postage....no point selling eating eggs when can get that much.

Local honey round us sells for 6quid a jar but Could be 4-500 to get set up with bees.

All the bits I've been doing are about providing for us as a family, if we can sell a bit then great, but not focused on the money side.👍

I just presumed to were selling eating eggs.saw local honey and £6 a jar the other day and just thought it might be more money for less work.but chickens are better than bees.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, steve t said:

What breed are they and what age will you kill them?

Angus x mate, I may just wait and raise them to beef rather than veal this time.

I’ll only kill one at a time, eat it and then kill the other so one of them definitely won’t be for a good while. 

• Like 3

Today was meant to be a day off but after taking the fam out for breakfast and then cinema then shopping, got back and I ended up setting out the next raised beds. Back to work tomorrow for a rest.

Also r lass is away to the van tomorrow with the kids so I got a shoulder of lamb out to slow cook tomorrow for tea. This was traded for some of my home raised pork 👌

20240527_185808.jpg

20240527_185815.jpg

20240527_194245.jpg

• Like 7

I've been badly with chest infection so r lass has cracked on with veg garden bless her.

Got my name down on two OSB weaners aswell, due to farrow in next couple weeks so should be ready for me come August.👌

20240601_111657.jpg

20240601_122641.jpg

20240601_155509.jpg

20240601_193951.jpg

• Like 11
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Culled 4 of my cickerells this week aswell. Skinned em and took breast, thigh/leg. Over 10lb of meat, was happy with that. The breasts look small but it was more that the thigh/legs were BIG!!!!

20240811_155028.jpg

20240811_155632.jpg

20240811_155132.jpg

• Like 3