Produce your own.........

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to be a big up take for threads on off grid living or self sustainability so thought I would stick it in here lads because the 'living of land and game cooking' section doesn't get much traffic

Ohhhh yesss!!!!

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Been busy on the new piece of land that will become working garden. Chickens move there, vegs, greenhouse etc. That's the plan anyways. Got plenty stuff growing already so need to pull mi finger out and get this finished!

20240511_154001.jpg

20240511_155232.jpg

20240511_181620.jpg

• Like 4

Just had mi timber dropped off for the edges of the beds and also for greenhouse base......this will keep me busy tomorrow.  

Think we have decided on layout etc that we are going for so time to crack on now.

20240524_181725.jpg

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, ryaldinhio said:

Just had mi timber dropped off for the edges of the beds and also for greenhouse base......this will keep me busy tomorrow.  

Think we have decided on layout etc that we are going for so time to crack on now.

20240524_181725.jpg

Things really coming along, mate.

Your diligence and enthusiasm are certainly paying dividends.

Any more thoughts etc on the beekeeping?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Things really coming along, mate.

Your diligence and enthusiasm are certainly paying dividends.

Any more thoughts etc on the beekeeping?

Thanks pal, it's constant but will be worth it long term.

I really fancied the bee keeping but having done the course I think I have too much going on at the minute to start that aswell. I will maybe do it in a few years time once I hopefully get the rest of this lot consistenly producing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, ryaldinhio said:

I really fancied the bee keeping but having done the course I think I have too much going on at the minute to start that aswell. I will maybe do it in a few years time once I hopefully get the rest of this lot consistenly producing. 

Good man, good luck with it all.   👍

• Like 1
11 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

I keep bees loads to it , when your ready catch some swarms be good start for a hive plus swarms of bees are free, any bee keeper close by set hive up swarm my move in 👍

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, tank34 said:

I keep bees loads to it , when your ready catch some swarms be good start for a hive plus swarms of bees are free, any bee keeper close by set hive up swarm my move in 👍

I found the course extremely interesting but it opened my eyes to how much there was to it. Naively I thought I would stick some bees in a box in the corner, they would pollinate my fruit and veg, then at the end of summer I get a load of honey......how wrong I was 🤣

• Like 1
7 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

I found the course extremely interesting but it opened my eyes to how much there was to it. Naively I thought I would stick some bees in a box in the corner, they would pollinate my fruit and veg, then at the end of summer I get a load of honey......how wrong I was 🤣

What’s the story with the bees mate, is it as involved as they say ?

Im always a bit suspicious that all these “bee” blokes are just talking the job up to more than it needs to be but to read an ordinary lad say it makes me interested.

Is a course worth doing ?…..I’m a bit of the same mind you was, f**k em in a box and crack on but if you say a course is needed then that’s what I’ll do at some point. 

7 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

No idea about bee keeping but as away to make money for a small holder wouldn't it be more profitable than selling eggs.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WILF said:

What’s the story with the bees mate, is it as involved as they say ?

Im always a bit suspicious that all these “bee” blokes are just talking the job up to more than it needs to be but to read an ordinary lad say it makes me interested.

Is a course worth doing ?…..I’m a bit of the same mind you was, f**k em in a box and crack on but if you say a course is needed then that’s what I’ll do at some point. 

I don't think the course is needed as such, you could probably learn enough from researching books etc BUT as part of the course I did included membership of the BBKA so get discount at suppliers, liability insurance, genuinly good community/connections who were all very helpful, so while it's not needed I would recommend it personally. Be worth contacting local bee keepers association and see if they run any. 

Regards how much work it is, I wouldn't call it work as such, but being committed enough to spend probably half hour a day watching them and checking them. Need to learn their behaviour so can tell when they may swarm etc, keep checking hive for Queen cells forming which can indicate the same. Also getting kit to set up could be 400-500 upwards.

Not to be said it can't be done though mate, I think I will do it, just not for me right now....got enough plates spinning.

Today been busy with sorting this new piece of land out and deciding layout for greenhouse, poly tunnel, chicken layers, chicken growers for meat, pig pen - definitely doing pigs again.

20240525_082900.jpg

20240525_085919.jpg

20240525_123816.jpg

20240525_124647.jpg

• Like 3