Alot of bull xs can look ready physically from 12 months onwards,some will bump into stuff by accident at that age and may well do the job and impress you.... personally from what ive seen, earlier they start...the sooner they are done....I like to get them out as young as possible,bit of ferretting/around the terriers and put in the work stock breaking and socializing.. because its no fun having a dog you cant trust.?

• Like 9

Just bought the dog not usually what I would do was just about to get out of the dog game and have now landed a massive farm for permo my salwhipgrey has dodgy tenden don't think she is gunna make so this dog is my back up and wanted something with some balls only had her 2 weeks settling down got her jumping sitting good recall been round cows horse and a little bit of sheep so far  so heres the thing obviously I don't want the dog going for stock it's a no no. But she is scared shitless of cows and horses. The old dog has run a fox and the dog showed little interested obviously I didn't expect the dog to get straight out and smash it but am a little weary of this dog.Hopefully come winter she will click thanks for any replays haven't been on here for years 

7 hours ago, rabbit tourmentor said:

Just bought the dog not usually what I would do was just about to get out of the dog game and have now landed a massive farm for permo my salwhipgrey has dodgy tenden don't think she is gunna make so this dog is my back up and wanted something with some balls only had her 2 weeks settling down got her jumping sitting good recall been round cows horse and a little bit of sheep so far  so heres the thing obviously I don't want the dog going for stock it's a no no. But she is scared shitless of cows and horses. The old dog has run a fox and the dog showed little interested obviously I didn't expect the dog to get straight out and smash it but am a little weary of this dog.Hopefully come winter she will click thanks for any replays haven't been on here for years 

Plenty of time mate some dogs start earlier some have to mature abit to start doing it and it all depends if the dogs came from the right place if you get me ie has it come from dogs that are doing the Job 

• Like 1

You havnt said what cross it is and how much Bull etc but, anyway I wouldnt of wanted my 9month old pup to run into a Fox, its too young. I wouldnt start a pup until its at least 15months and the nearer to 2 year the better. Did you know the parents?

• Like 7
1 hour ago, jeemes said:

You havnt said what cross it is and how much Bull etc but, anyway I wouldnt of wanted my 9month old pup to run into a Fox, its too young. I wouldnt start a pup until its at least 15months and the nearer to 2 year the better. Did you know the parents?

Exactly 9 months old they ain’t ready for the sharp end.

My pup is 11 months old and will still act like a pup till around 18 months old then will calm down a bit in answer to the original question

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

What I'd be looking for in the pup at that age is the way it acts on its own in the field is it looking for prey using its nose or eyes if you on the lamp,it should be showing an interest or at least look keen at that age,normally bull X need no encouragement usually hold them back.Thats my experience of more than a couple of bullx from different parents.Good luck hope your dog works out