1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

My missus just said the other day that you don't see dogs on the street these days. 

We are in our 70's so we did back on the day, I remember Billy the bull dog, he was an English bull terrier, used to be outside our school with a brick or a tin can in his mouth, he looked like a real bull terrier and was harmless to people, but we all gave him a wide berth ! 

Whippets and lurchers were let out in the morning and a few of them were decent enough to leave a hare on the doorstep when you got home !

Rose tinted glasses ? ...... no, it's the way it was back then.

Cheers.

Charts, I think the 'dog wardens' started in about 1990 , in my area of south wales?

Prior to that in the late 60's, especially the 70's, and into the 80's, there'd be all sorts of dogs, and mostly in their own little packs, that we'd 'whistle em up' and take em with us, hunting anything and everything!!

Great times, sadly lost!!  ?

• Like 4

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The first thing I suss about a person is their accent. I have learned the following: brummie accents generally belong to retarded people. A fallout with a Glaswegian accent often  heralds a violent at

Some Of the words my old grandparents used I never understood as a kid, like “where’s me f***ing twirls” or “ I need a f***ing glim”  “can’t find me smother”    twirls would be keys gli

My missus just said the other day that you don't see dogs on the street these days.  We are in our 70's so we did back on the day, I remember Billy the bull dog, he was an English bull terrier, u

Posted Images

2 hours ago, gnipper said:

My dad always called them pads but some people call them ginnels or paths. Gotta be a barmcake too.

It's ginnel are and good to get a pup retrieving in, and muffin or tcake are.

Manc thru and thru 

I spent a lot of my time in my 20,s out lamping up in lakes with the cumbrians.  Funny old dialect 

Cup of scori = mug of tea

Lonin = gutter or dyke as we say

Snap = food 

I can't remember any more it was such a long time ago 

7 hours ago, saluki bouy said:

The young ones all talk the same around here but they mix more town to town than we did and then younger than that younger than that my god daughter speaks bloody American watching YouTube 

every town in the Scottish Borders has there own twang to are accents I can still get shivers from the thought of going to the dentist as a bairn and the receptionist along my name in the broadest gala twang (accent)

Hawick is a different level down there from the older generation 

the posh university Scottish accent Kevin bridges protrays so well kills me the most awful thing my ears have heard 

Top chart  :hmm:

11 hours ago, Bush Rummager said:

When I read Gnashers posts on here.. I always do it in Frank Butchers voice for some reason!! I wonder if he's knocking one into Pat theses days!!

article-0-0F50CC3600000578-908_634x373.jpg.a0660e3acef287e4aac427e5d2cc2c84.jpg

Go on my son...

The best accent, all my older relatives sound like that .it’s dying out that thick London accent what a shame. 

• Like 2

Some Of the words my old grandparents used I never understood as a kid, like “where’s me f***ing twirls” or “ I need a f***ing glim” 

“can’t find me smother” 

twirls would be keys glim would be a torch smother would be a over coat/ jacket. 

the English gypsys seem to have adopted a lot of the old cockney slang, and still use it yogga= gun yoks=eyes mooey=face rackley or mort= woman kahzee= toilet and so on, few lads I used to knock about with who were English gypsys one of which died last week and what a send off he had. They used to be baffled I could understand their chit chat but most of it is just our cockney talk. 

this picture goes well back been trying to find out where it is looks like it’s outside a pub, maybe Hoxton or Shoreditch maybe even old street . Gnasher will probably know but may be before his time, this is me nan and grandad with both sets of parents, proper true cockneys,  all gone now rip apart from the tall man in the middle who’s still cracking on some lives they had living in proper England. 

75FD8D4C-9A6F-490A-AAA8-2D0C039EDF74.jpeg

• Like 7

“My father Andrew Earnest Wild was born in 1907 in Clerkenwell, within the sound of Bow Bells, and he lived in Bastwick St (known as ‘the Bass’) off Central St. His father was Andrew Benjamin Wild and his mother was Ellen Leach. He was the eldest of four brothers and two sisters – Emmy and one he lost – and another half sister, Maggie.

When he was sixteen, he falsified his age and joined up with the Queen’s Own Royal West Kent, based in Maidstone. The Ministry of Defence sent me his pay book and what have you. It says, ‘A hardworking clean and sober man, of smart appearance, he can be trusted to carry out his duties without supervision, intelligent and reliable, a good type of man.’

He put down 1906 but he was actually born in 1907, on 13th of September. He was shipped to India and was there for the whole of his service, which was I think eleven years, in Madras and Calcutta. He took up boxing there, became regimental champion and fought in the all-India finals. I have a solid silver medal that he won in Madras for bayonet fighting. It is my most prized possession, upstairs in my jewellery box.

My Dad was a bit of a rough handful before he mellowed. 

small passage from a book my grandfather wrote about his life and parents. Read it a few times very interesting for me to read about times gone by. 

• Like 5
12 hours ago, Borr said:

You guys must be drinking the gay fruity ciders or prosecco lol. But yep I love British accents proper Bristol, Brummie , Scots you do generalise as you meet different folk but I try to keep an open mind mind haha...

You talk like a southern cnut so don’t be jumping in on this one :laugh:

Yes I know, I sound like a Dingle :laugh:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, Bush Rummager said:

When I read Gnashers posts on here.. I always do it in Frank Butchers voice for some reason!! I wonder if he's knocking one into Pat theses days!!

article-0-0F50CC3600000578-908_634x373.jpg.a0660e3acef287e4aac427e5d2cc2c84.jpg

Go on my son...

I read him as in between Frank and Lenny (the Guvnor)… especially when he uses words like “treacle” :laugh:

• Haha 1
40 minutes ago, lurcherman 887 said:

Some Of the words my old grandparents used I never understood as a kid, like “where’s me f***ing twirls” or “ I need a f***ing glim” 

“can’t find me smother” 

twirls would be keys glim would be a torch smother would be a over coat/ jacket. 

the English gypsys seem to have adopted a lot of the old cockney slang, and still use it yogga= gun yoks=eyes mooey=face rackley or mort= woman kahzee= toilet and so on, few lads I used to knock about with who were English gypsys one of which died last week and what a send off he had. They used to be baffled I could understand their chit chat but most of it is just our cockney talk. 

this picture goes well back been trying to find out where it is looks like it’s outside a pub, maybe Hoxton or Shoreditch maybe even old street . Gnasher will probably know but may be before his time, this is me nan and grandad with both sets of parents, proper true cockneys,  all gone now rip apart from the tall man in the middle who’s still cracking on some lives they had living in proper England. 

75FD8D4C-9A6F-490A-AAA8-2D0C039EDF74.jpeg

What year would that be?