Beef tallow, lamb tallow, goat tallow

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Puts weight on my dogs got something  to do with eating it one thinks ? 

I find tripe great for Keeping weight on a dog. Have fed it to all my dogs for years.  

Grown dogs can't handle milk, what animal drinks it within nature, once they are weaned & full size? Over the last couple of years I've cut back my dog numbers, the 2/3s that are left still e

Posted Images

1 hour ago, dodger said:

Yeh I feed a lot of cheese as well mate and like you never an issue just yesterday they had a block of cheese some black pudding n some pasta they not been toilet yet

I use that lamlac powdered stuff a lot, keeps them hydrated because they drink as much as you put down & it’s calorie dense with a good vitamin content so helps keep condition on them. I started using it for pups but adult dogs liked it so just kept them on it as well they get a few bowls a week in winter 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Deerhunter1 said:

I use that lamlac powdered stuff a lot, keeps them hydrated because they drink as much as you put down & it’s calorie dense with a good vitamin content so helps keep condition on them. I started using it for pups but adult dogs liked it so just kept them on it as well they get a few bowls a week in winter 

Someone gave me a big tub of that protein powder what the gym lads have so tried it for the dogs ,dint seem any good reckon it just went thru um  ,no side effects tho just dint do ote

2 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Someone gave me a big tub of that protein powder what the gym lads have so tried it for the dogs ,dint seem any good reckon it just went thru um  ,no side effects tho just dint do ote

That’s a new one never tried that myself ?

8 minutes ago, Deerhunter1 said:

That's a good idea is that n the reason I use milk but sure the Lamlac will work out cheaper especially with milk doubling in price lately 

14 minutes ago, dodger said:

That's a good idea is that n the reason I use milk but sure the Lamlac will work out cheaper especially with milk doubling in price lately 

Loads cheaper than buying milk & it’s a supplement really for orphan lambs so got plenty of vitamins in it

• Like 1
23 hours ago, jeemes said:

If you leave tripe outside, nothing eats it...not foxes badgers or even crows. I think thats all we need to know about tripe, hence the saying "dont talk tripe"  

Used to bait fox traps with tripe and got both badger and fox in them. 

Or am I talking tripe... Lol. Who feckin knows at this stage. 

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Used to bait fox traps with tripe and got both badger and fox in them. 

Or am I talking tripe... Lol. Who feckin knows at this stage. 

I wouldnt call you a liar. Could it be Irish foxes and Badgers dont mind eating guts? Either way they are not great for feeding working greyhounds or lurchers.

Read "The Greyhound trainer" by H.Montagu-Harrison (Irish) Known as the "Govenor" back in the 60s for his scientific approach to feeding canine athlete's and his views on tripe.

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, jeemes said:

I wouldnt call you a liar. Could it be Irish foxes and Badgers dont mind eating guts? Either way they are not great for feeding working greyhounds or lurchers.

Read "The Greyhound trainer" by H.Montagu-Harrison (Irish) Known as the "Govenor" back in the 60s for his scientific approach to feeding canine athlete's and his views on tripe.

I have friends that race greyhounds and all feed tripe, not by it self of course but they still use it, funny the fella I used to get my dog food of told me the best greyhound he ever owned was reared and raced on nothing but tripe and this is a man that knows his way round a greyhound and has had plenty of winners, was he lying to me?? I honestly don't know. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, dogmandont said:

I have friends that race greyhounds and all feed tripe, not by it self of course but they still use it, funny the fella I used to get my dog food of told me the best greyhound he ever owned was reared and raced on nothing but tripe and this is a man that knows his way round a greyhound and has had plenty of winners, was he lying to me?? I honestly don't know. 

Who knows mate. I fed tripe in different forms over the years ie minced raw, boiled, etc. Whichever way it holds a lot of water and fat. You cant beat Beef imo and Ive worked in greyhound kennels and help feed open class dogs, but never with tripe.. having said that at least its flesh and better than just all in one biscuit.

• Like 1

I’ve always fed tripe as part of a dogs diet but it has to be fresh green tripe with plenty of fat on, not the minced pet shop stuff. Don’t think any 1 meat is the way forward a good mix of tripe, chicken & a red meat either beef or lamb with fish a few times a week is the way I like to do it, added to a decent biscuit with a couple of extras

• Like 4
6 hours ago, jeemes said:

Who knows mate. I fed tripe in different forms over the years ie minced raw, boiled, etc. Whichever way it holds a lot of water and fat. You cant beat Beef imo and Ive worked in greyhound kennels and help feed open class dogs, but never with tripe.. having said that at least its flesh and better than just all in one biscuit.

I'm not all that clued up on it just always had an interest in it but for me iv always found the day before hunting they do best on not to much meat but a day or 2 after plenty of meat especially red meat then lower the meat again before hunting again but I'm sure there's plenty that feed alot of meat most days and get food results?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, dodger said:

I'm not all that clued up on it just always had an interest in it but for me iv always found the day before hunting they do best on not to much meat but a day or 2 after plenty of meat especially red meat then lower the meat again before hunting again but I'm sure there's plenty that feed alot of meat most days and get food results?

I can see the sense in that. When wild animals like wolves, big cats etc are at their best they are lean and dry and have usually gone a good while without meat, then after a kill they have a belly full, and it all start again. I know we all tend to look a lot at Greyhound trainers but Lurchers are hunting dogs with different stresses on them and their work is less routine and closer to nature than a greyhound. I cant believe I used to give my dogs breakfast on a morning the day of lamping, especially a wet one. When a dog gets fit it doesnt drink much, but has a good drink now and then. They dont need it, and its all that moisture that overheats them. I think your ideas are good and sound more natural to a hunting dog.

• Like 1