New football thread

29 minutes ago, WILF said:

I think the “thug” player is bigger in the remembering than they ever were in actual reality…..fact is, there just wasn’t that many.

There were good, physical lads who asked for no quarter and gave none, tackled at 100mph but always good and fair, contested every header and meant it, wouldn’t back out of a 50/50, would be wrestling and having a pull but mostly just with the arms and using the upper body……the absolute donkeys were rare.

Sometimes full speed tackles go wrong and then they inevitably look bad but that ain’t the story of the player and it’s no reason to just not make them.

If you contest headers you will from time to time go through the back of someone, get your brow split, split someone else’s, cop a bang to the head…..again, that’s not a dirty player, that’s just a physical player.

If you are a forward using your upper arms and shoulders to get in front of a defender you will occasionally catch one up the chops and vice versa, you will get your heels caught as you run across him….all of which peole cry about now but are in reality the ordinary, good part and parcel of the game.

All this VAR has made everyone Fanny’s mate.

Physical isn’t the same as dirty (although the very rare and occasional bit of dirt don’t go amiss if required) 

Absolute donkeys don’t play football for a long time imho because they ain’t players. 

No arguments there mate. Except one name... Terry Hurlock. Orrible bar steward. Denis Wise not much better, except he could also play a bit.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The way we've treated Moyse is f****n disgusting....im not against a new manager it probably is the right time but theres ways of doing things and the man deserves respect and a good send off yet we'v

West Ham fans in town all day and not a murmur until wives/families get attacked by " ultras " at the game itself.....embarrassing !! There was a handful of chaps on each stairwell stopping them

My Hammers will struggle this year ,some fans want Moyse gone but personally i cant see the point we have a manager thats proved he can improve the club,owners willing to throw money at it.....at what

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, WILF said:

I think the “thug” player is bigger in the remembering than they ever were in actual reality…..fact is, there just wasn’t that many.

There were good, physical lads who asked for no quarter and gave none, tackled at 100mph but always good and fair, contested every header and meant it, wouldn’t back out of a 50/50, would be wrestling and having a pull but mostly just with the arms and using the upper body……the absolute donkeys were rare.

Sometimes full speed tackles go wrong and then they inevitably look bad but that ain’t the story of the player and it’s no reason to just not make them.

If you contest headers you will from time to time go through the back of someone, get your brow split, split someone else’s, cop a bang to the head…..again, that’s not a dirty player, that’s just a physical player.

If you are a forward using your upper arms and shoulders to get in front of a defender you will occasionally catch one up the chops and vice versa, you will get your heels caught as you run across him….all of which people cry about now but are in reality the ordinary, good part and parcel of the game.

All this VAR has made everyone Fanny’s mate.

Physical isn’t the same as dirty (although the very rare and occasional bit of dirt don’t go amiss if required) 

Absolute donkeys don’t play football for a long time imho because they ain’t players. 

I've said a few times that I'd be f****d without the more physical side of the game, you had to be fit and strong, unfortunately I wasn't blessed with pace or silky skills, but would compete for 90 minutes happily... 

Only time I regret one was one of those midfield battles you sometimes have where your both at it, we were away at Salisbury, or somewhere up that way, Devizes maybe... 100 mile up the road and a crowd of a couple hundred giving you stick constantly as they love their small town team.. anyhow me and this lad are having a good little battle, he's caught me late, it was dirty and f***ing hurt..lol.. I gave it the old "next challenge your getting it".. bullshit... but I did go over the ball and really at him...I broke his ankle, I still regret it today...I obviously didn't mean to damage him like that, but i did want to hurt him.. its not what footballs about, we've all had a scrap etc.. but I wouldn't plan on really hurting another player..

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

I've said a few times that I'd be f****d without the more physical side of the game, you had to be fit and strong, unfortunately I wasn't blessed with pace or silky skills, but would compete for 90 minutes happily... 

Only time I regret one was one of those midfield battles you sometimes have where your both at it, we were away at Salisbury, or somewhere up that way, Devizes maybe... 100 mile up the road and a crowd of a couple hundred giving you stick constantly as they love their small town team.. anyhow me and this lad are having a good little battle, he's caught me late, it was dirty and f***ing hurt..lol.. I gave it the old "next challenge your getting it".. bullshit... but I did go over the ball and really at him...I broke his ankle, I still regret it today...I obviously didn't mean to damage him like that, but i did want to hurt him.. its not what footballs about, we've all had a scrap etc.. but I wouldn't plan on really hurting another player..

I must be a bit of shrinking violet, I never enjoyed the threats and the 'sledging' and the over physical. I enjoyed the genuine  physical competition but I hate mixing up different activities. To me football is football, nothing to do with taking a man out completely, boxing is boxing but no thumbs in the eye or head butts. Sex is sex, nothing to do with food or humiliation. What' s all that about? I'm a simple man, some say very simple.  Time for me cocoa.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, jukel123 said:

I must be a bit of shrinking violet, I never enjoyed the threats and the 'sledging' and the over physical. I enjoyed the genuine  physical competition but I hate mixing up different activities. To me football is football, nothing to do with taking a man out completely, boxing is boxing but no thumbs in the eye or head butts. Sex is sex, nothing to do with food or humiliation. What' s all that about? I'm a simple man, some say very simple.  Time for me cocoa.

I agree mate... but without any physicality football is boring imo, I don't mean the cowardly, sly shit... just good battles

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

I agree mate... but without any physicality football is boring imo, I don't mean the cowardly, sly shit... just good battles

I think what you're missing is that I was a Bobby Moore, Rio Ferdinand defender. Grace and  beauty were my companions.I had no need for the  physical. If I was an attacking player I would have been a  booked once Bobby Charlton or a never booked Gary Lineker. Oops I've blown it now mentioning my mate Gary. Off to get my tin hat. Lol

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, jukel123 said:

No arguments there mate. Except one name... Terry Hurlock. Orrible bar steward. Denis Wise not much better, except he could also play a bit.

Wasn't hurlock that lad that played for millwall with the permed hair if I remember right he was dirty but was a decent  leader and captain of them he was the one that dropped and gripped moyse here a hothead if I remember right 

5 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Wasn't hurlock that lad that played for millwall with the permed hair if I remember right he was dirty but was a decent  leader and captain of them he was the one that dropped and gripped moyse here a hothead if I remember right 

Yes, he played for Glasgow Rangers as well. He was an absolute assassin. He was bought to intimidate by that other thug, Graeme Souness...but to be fair Souness could play a bit too, when he wasn't taking opponents out by tackling them in the balls. Lol. I do have respect for Souness, but Jesus when he lost it there were no rules.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Same as that mate, I couldn’t dribble for shit round players or in tight spaces but I was extremely fast and I worked endlessly on my technique (how I addressed the ball, instep, outside of foot, weight of pass etc), I worked on being able to use both feet and I could see a pass from anywhere.

If I was 10 yards off the back 4 and knocked the ball out of my feet they were dead…..I also played mentally on the edge of aggression which to be fair only caught me out a couple of times but cost me 8 months ban (well, actually it was 2 x 4 months because I did the same again first game back after the first ban !) and a few hundred quid in fines !

My biggest strength was that I was lucky enough to play with some amazing players, the type of players that demanded more and more from each other and I owe some lads everything in that regard as they do me if that makes sense. 

3 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Yeah, despite my “going to war” way of looking at each game I’d have genuinely never wanted to put a bad leg or ankle break on anyone, well maybe a couple ? Lol, but I’d have been gutted like you in that regard mate.

I have taken full on knees and boots in the chest, rib cage, side of the face and they hurt ! 
I always made sure I had good shin pads and extra ankle protection because you needed it…..centre backs can get a bit put out when you have been smashing the granny out of them then mugging them off for 70 minutes ! Lol 

Hard to get good shin guards now, Sondico made a set that I always rated as the best ever made…they had a titanium mesh in the upper and solid ankle discs which I coupled with a softer set of extra ankle and Achilles guards…..more than once that combo saved my bacon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, WILF said:

Same as that mate, I couldn’t dribble for shit round players or in tight spaces but I was extremely fast and I worked endlessly on my technique (how I addressed the ball, instep, outside of foot, weight of pass etc), I worked on being able to use both feet and I could see a pass from anywhere.

If I was 10 yards off the back 4 and knocked the ball out of my feet they were dead…..I also played mentally on the edge of aggression which to be fair only caught me out a couple of times but cost me 8 months ban (well, actually it was 2 x 4 months because I did the same again first game back after the first ban !) and a few hundred quid in fines !

My biggest strength was that I was lucky enough to play with some amazing players, the type of players that demanded more and more from each other and I owe some lads everything in that regard as they do me if that makes sense. 

Yeah, despite my “going to war” way of looking at each game I’d have genuinely never wanted to put a bad leg or ankle break on anyone, well maybe a couple ? Lol, but I’d have been gutted like you in that regard mate.

I have taken full on knees and boots in the chest, rib cage, side of the face and they hurt ! 
I always made sure I had good shin pads and extra ankle protection because you needed it…..centre backs can get a bit put out when you have been smashing the granny out of them then mugging them off for 70 minutes ! Lol 

Hard to get good shin guards now, Sondico made a set that I always rated as the best ever made…they had a titanium mesh in the upper and solid ankle discs which I coupled with a softer set of extra ankle and Achilles guards…..more than once that combo saved my bacon. 

I hated fuckers like you that could play.  My role model was big Jack C. He said "I can't play, I win the ball and give it to people who can play." I could run, tackle and head and that was the limit of my capabilities. And that was what I was told to do and I kept getting picked so I,must have been doing something  right. I have never been able to dribble  and struggle to do keepy ups. The really good players had a picture in their head as to where everybody was. My reception for that picture was very poor, a lot of interference. 

Brian Clough was a great manager because he told players exactly what he wanted them to do. He said to John Robertson." .OK youre an ugly little fat scotsman. I love sitting next to you because you make me look handsome . Just run the ball up the wing and cross. Nothing else. Just do that." And the rest is history.  He did that for each and every player. There was a lad, senior moment, can't remember his name, who he took through the leagues from the fourth to the top simply by telling him what to do. Great bloke Clough., shame about the drinking.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

I hated fuckers like you that could play.  My role model was big Jack C. He said "I can't play, I win the ball and give it to people who can play." I could run, tackle and head and that was the limit of my capabilities. And that was what I was told to do and I kept getting picked so I,must have been doing something  right. I have never been able to dribble  and struggle to do keepy ups. The really good players had a picture in their head as to where everybody was. My reception for that picture was very poor, a lot of interference. 

Brian Clough was a great manager because he told players exactly what he wanted them to do. He said to John Robertson." .OK youre an ugly little fat scotsman. I love sitting next to you because you make me look handsome . Just run the ball up the wing and cross. Nothing else. Just do that." And the rest is history.  He did that for each and every player. There was a lad, senior moment, can't remember his name, who he took through the leagues from the fourth to the top simply by telling him what to do. Great bloke Clough., shame about the drinking.

John McGovern ?

Cheers.

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

No one can play mate, not unless they have good players around them….your team make you more.

I played with players infinitely more talented than me and that’s makes any player better 

• Like 1

The premier league is throwing up some unexpected results.  Which is how it used to be. You get bored with the announcer saying. ' Manchester City five, ordinary team nil.'

Long may it continue.  The premier league is becoming  a proper contest. 

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, Blackmag said:

What a signing ward prowse has been for West ham 

Someone is watching over Moyes ! 

The reality is, the yids dominated us, on any other day that game is 4-1 to the yids……

10 hours ago, jukel123 said:

The premier league is throwing up some unexpected results.  Which is how it used to be. You get bored with the announcer saying. ' Manchester City five, ordinary team nil.'

Long may it continue.  The premier league is becoming  a proper contest. 

The difference between our result and the Villa result is that Villa actually outplayed City as they have outplayed many teams this season, they earned the right to win as all good teams do. 
They ain’t looking for lucky nicks, they are playing open, expansive, brave, front foot, attacking football and obviously backing it up in training with their fitness levels and practice…..just like Newcastle. 

Probably the biggest reason I hate Moyes is that the academy of football that has sat slap, bang in the middle of an area with great football pedigree all its life has been reduced to a team looking for nicks !

A man who plays for nicks is getting hailed as a genius, f**k all that, not a bit of me. 

Most of Moyes football is like me fighting Mike Tyson, balling up in the corner of the ring with my hands over my head and hoping he dies of exhaustion before he kills me…..it may get a desired result but there is f**k all to respect about it.

The headline will say I beat Mike Tyson, the reality is I was a gutless c**t getting the shit kicked out of me for 12 round until he luckily keeled over ! 
That’s Moyes in a nutshell to me.

f**k me, you know it’s bad when I can’t even find pleasure in beating the yids !