Pond goldfish advice

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any fungus I’ve ever seen starts as a white fluff mate .I’d say that’s heron strike bud .

I’ve seen herons flying in 3 s and feeding together. Part ex the plastic heron for a 12 bore you will get better results 

My neighbour had them coming into his garden pond in the middle of Shafton. The only reason he knew was that I heard one and looked out of our window. Full moon like now are the times they fed at

Posted Images

On 10/11/2022 at 17:26, tomburras said:

iv lost 2 goldfish today in my little pond. The others are perfect and filters clean, uv working etc. Crystal clear water but these 2 have something odd happen to them. Is there anyone on here that could anyone tell me what this is? Cheers!....

20221110_134012.jpg

20221110_134935.jpg

Looks like  bacterial  ulcers .   They may indicate a water quality problem .  They   can also be triggered by   injury so an attack can't be ruled out but any illness or abrasion , perhaps from spawning activity,  that damages  the fish's slime layer can let bacteria in.

Donning my Columbo/ Hercule Poirot  hat : You say that the other fish are  ALL fine .

So none missing?     That doesn't  indicate a regular visit from a heron. 

Though one looking for passing trade can't be ruled out .As people are saying ; for a bird that happily hunts worms and voles in ploughed  fields and frogs in puddles  ; small ponds are heron magnets.  Not just for birds ; grass snakes , lots of things  will  have a crack at a fish in a barrel!

If you do fear herons though , cover the pond . It can be done cheaply and with a bit of thought can be done tastefully .

Variations on Methylene Blue or , as said , ,permanganate potash are standbys for fish injuries but a   change of  water might help.

Those filter systems destroy good bacteria along with the bad . They basically let you overstock past a tank or pond's natural holding capacity - fine until  something gets out of kilter ......

Edited by comanche
  • Like 2