Pond goldfish advice

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any fungus I’ve ever seen starts as a white fluff mate .I’d say that’s heron strike bud .

I’ve seen herons flying in 3 s and feeding together. Part ex the plastic heron for a 12 bore you will get better results 

My neighbour had them coming into his garden pond in the middle of Shafton. The only reason he knew was that I heard one and looked out of our window. Full moon like now are the times they fed at

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, tomburras said:

Ha ha! Thanks but I won't be doing that as much as I would like to .

My mate shot the one having his fish a few days later out of his bathroom window with a 410g early hours of the morning, Neighbours were not impressed ?

2 minutes ago, paulus said:

My mate shot the one having his fish a few days later out of his bathroom window with a 410g early hours of the morning, Neighbours were not impressed ?

I can imagine lol. Iv got neighbors round the back garden would do the same lol. 

I've tried a plastic heron with no joy tomburras. 

We now have 10" square metal mesh sheets. Still able to see the fish/plants but a bit more secure.

Foxdropper, what do you mean by covered? Do you reckon a piece of wood totally covering most of the pond would be better?

Cheers

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Dappled said:

I've tried a plastic heron with no joy tomburras. 

We now have 10" square metal mesh sheets. Still able to see the fish/plants but a bit more secure.

Foxdropper, what do you mean by covered? Do you reckon a piece of wood totally covering most of the pond would be better?

Cheers

Cheers dappled ? I'll put a decoy heron up I think and let nature take its course.

Herons feed at night especially on full, bright moons. As they live communually a decoy heron is more likely to attract any passing herons to a good fishing spot. Netting over the pond would be the best solution. 

• Like 1

I can't believe they come into small  gardens like this I'm out of the city but on the edge of a small mining town in wakefield. I go out on the land by my house (frickley mine) and seen them on the lake at night with thermal monocular they looked asleep. 

11 minutes ago, tomburras said:

I can't believe they come into small  gardens like this I'm out of the city but on the edge of a small mining town in wakefield. I go out on the land by my house (frickley mine) and seen them on the lake at night with thermal monocular they looked asleep. 

My neighbour had them coming into his garden pond in the middle of Shafton. The only reason he knew was that I heard one and looked out of our window.

Full moon like now are the times they fed at night. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1