Remember these imports?

37 minutes ago, stop.end said:

He is a dreamer... and never seen many dogs run..that's why he asks anyone that would listen to come for a spin out with him... and this other clown talking about stuff off the beam... I used to go to 2 lads who lived very rural in mountain areas...illuminous collar with that white high bright strip on it was on the lurcher, get into the wind, lamp the quarry and show the dog it... knock the lamp off and let dog go... few minutes later...knock the lamp on... and dog was with his quarry...knock lamp off and walk down... love to see a shitty saluki do that kind of work.

between you a greyman it’s just old story’s of whippets and bull xs ? it’s 2022 like fisherman after 30 years everything was bigger and better ? 

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just leave the bloke alone now boys, he ain’t here, it’s better for it imho but at the same token it ain’t right to be discussing the bloke either. We all know the crack, let’s move on….jmho 

The little brown runner, I paid £2.50 for, just wanted to kill everything and did, was only small but kill fox’s feral cats in seconds even dug a few pigs with her, bit hard mouthed for selling rabbit

My understanding is; way back in history, starting with the Romans, only Emporers and family were allowed to wear purple robes, this morphed into royalty and aristocracy being called "blue blooded", c

Posted Images

Just now, mC HULL said:

between you a greyman it’s just old story’s of whippets and bull xs ? it’s 2022 like fisherman after 30 years everything was bigger and better ? 

Wrong again mate fish are generally much bigger today than they were in yesteryear my son has caught loads of 40lb carp when I was his age there were only 1 or 2 in the whole country, but why let facts ruin a good story, 100 daytime hares a season was a realistic target in the 80s but we still missed a few only in your dreams do you catch them all ?

• Like 1
Just now, Greyman said:

Wrong again mate fish are generally much bigger today than they were in yesteryear my son has caught loads of 40lb carp when I was his age there were only 1 or 2 in the whole country, but why let facts ruin a good story, 100 daytime hares a season was a realistic target in the 80s but we still missed a few only in your dreams do you catch them all ?

100 daytime is realistic now and the men with the blood back then weren’t in coursing clubs was they by the 90s lads had there blood in some of the coursing clubs but the majority of matching lads with quality weren’t in em or was they ?

11 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

Plus I’m still out there doing it 40 years on, you will probably last the standard 5 years and get an aviary or pigeon loft ?

47877998-699D-4A87-AE90-31F42948CB42.jpeg

8D89B367-13D7-46BF-93C5-FC2F90351D88.jpeg

ED744E3C-830A-42CB-96C4-8706CF010E66.jpeg

B5377AC4-3E61-4BA3-83E9-C156BA02DBF5.jpeg

31F4A5CE-6603-4248-BA2E-66EBCAEFEEF5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, WILF said:

Was never much interested in the posh whys, wherefores, giving something a 100 yd head start and all the other finery that supposedly makes a “dog man” (whatever that is ?) ……..I just wanted a dog to kill stuff and I wanted a dog that wanted to kill stuff, anything it got pointed at.

Dogs like that are harder to find than some fen dog I reckon 

Never been "proper" coursing in my life.. would've liked to though, for a bit of crack..

First dog I ever saw was my "2nd dads'"... he took me everywhere hunting m, fishing etc...had a greyhound x collie... we used to poach hares near Exeter Airport.. if they were taken out of the seat even better, £5 a hare he was getting, I was a kid and loved it from day 1!! 

Not seen as much as some maybe more than others, a good dog is a good dog..  you know when you see one at it... I've only seen a couple that I would class as brilliant.. one owned by a good mate of mine, who doesn't sleep, work or eat in the winter..he just kills stuff!! Lol 

His old dog was something else, done everything, but no way daytime hares... would kill anything you slipped him on, was tidy around ferrets, came ratting, was a big bull cross that done that type of work very well... how he made old bones ill never know, too many stories for here, but he was the sort of dog your on about...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Greyman said:

Plus I’m still out there doing it 40 years on, you will probably last the standard 5 years and get an aviary or pigeon loft ?

47877998-699D-4A87-AE90-31F42948CB42.jpeg

8D89B367-13D7-46BF-93C5-FC2F90351D88.jpeg

ED744E3C-830A-42CB-96C4-8706CF010E66.jpeg

B5377AC4-3E61-4BA3-83E9-C156BA02DBF5.jpeg

31F4A5CE-6603-4248-BA2E-66EBCAEFEEF5.jpeg

i’m only 15 year behind you now ? i’ve had running dogs 2/3rds a me life 

6 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Never been "proper" coursing in my life.. would've liked to though, for a bit of crack..

First dog I ever saw was my "2nd dads'"... he took me everywhere hunting m, fishing etc...had a greyhound x collie... we used to poach hares near Exeter Airport.. if they were taken out of the seat even better, £5 a hare he was getting, I was a kid and loved it from day 1!! 

Not seen as much as some maybe more than others, a good dog is a good dog..  you know when you see one at it... I've only seen a couple that I would class as brilliant.. one owned by a good mate of mine, who doesn't sleep, work or eat in the winter..he just kills stuff!! Lol 

His old dog was something else, done everything, but no way daytime hares... would kill anything you slipped him on, was tidy around ferrets, came ratting, was a big bull cross that done that type of work very well... how he made old bones ill never know, too many stories for here, but he was the sort of dog your on about...

You never really missed much mate a bit like pheasant shooting, not our sort of people, we only joined to see just how good the dog my mate had was, again no great bloodline or history he swapped it for a good working border terrier but it was incredible the proper coursers despised us, they would give a huge round of applause every time the hare made the hedge, but when this thing went in the slips there was only ever one outcome, not much turning because it usually took the hare straight out the slips it didn’t score many points but anything running against it scored nil point so it just cleaned up as I said we were hated and asked to leave after one season mates sadly dead now but he kept all the silverware to spite them ?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Greyman said:

You never really missed much mate a bit like pheasant shooting, not our sort of people, we only joined to see just how good the dog my mate had was, again no great bloodline or history he swapped it for a good working border terrier but it was incredible the proper coursers despised us, they would give a huge round of applause every time the hare made the hedge, but when this thing went in the slips there was only ever one outcome, not much turning because it usually took the hare straight out the slips it didn’t score many points but anything running against it scored nil point so it just cleaned up as I said we were hated and asked to leave after one season mates sadly dead now but he kept all the silverware to spite them ?

Took my old lurcher on a pheasant shoot once, he marked a pheasant I shot and was away before my Lab had time to think and get off it’s arse……picked it and promptly ate the whole thing, feathers and all, in front of the guns and beaters ! Lol ? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, Greyman said:

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with a coursing club.

I found the complete opposite when I used to attend the Coquetdale & Border Coursing Club in Northumberland.

It was made up mainly of miners, shipyard workers, normal working lads.

My mate John the Postman was the slip steward, another pal who owned a pub in one of the "less salubrious " parts of Newcastle was also a great supporter.

We would all meet up at the Three Wheats Head pub near Rothbury for lunch, there was no cliques or hierarchy, we just all had one thing in common, running dogs.?

Cheers.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, WILF said:

Took my old lurcher on a pheasant shoot once, he marked a pheasant I shot and was away before my Lab had time to think and get off it’s arse……picked it and promptly ate the whole thing, feathers and all, in front of the guns and beaters ! Lol ? 

Standard for that lab ???

15 minutes ago, WILF said:

I turned up to beat on a shoot with three border collies. Could have cut the atmosphere with a knife. Got asked back though. Then later on a beater's day I brought my GSD just to have a walk round. Nobody else had brought a dog because of the powdery snow so she ended up flushing and picking up for 8 guns. I think she retrieved about 53 or 54 pheasants. Walked like an old table the next day.

Judge a dog by the dog, not the breed or how many sixteenths saluki it is. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with a coursing club.

I found the complete opposite when I used to attend the Coquetdale & Border Coursing Club in Northumberland.

It was made up mainly of miners, shipyard workers, normal working lads.

My mate John the Postman was the slip steward, another pal who owned a pub in one of the "less salubrious " parts of Newcastle was also a great supporter.

We would all meet up at the Three Wheats Head pub near Rothbury for lunch, there was no cliques or hierarchy, we just all had one thing in common, running dogs.?

Cheers.

Nice one brean down was my local but very different from your experiences ,very them and us, I actually got shot on several occasions and arrested for coursing hares on the golf course next door there were just so many down there you couldn’t not have a pop, ?? 

• Like 1