• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Penny for the guy was the earner for us urchins,plot up outside the workmen’s club like a Romanian beggar sits beside a cash machine nowadays.

Never heard of pumpkin when I was a kid, it was always a turnip lantern. Cheers.

Bonfire night was brilliant, when parents weren't worried about kids being out in the dark. Banger guns (old pipe bent over at the end, Little Demon in then a marble or a stone), raiding (going t

Posted Images

Scrape out with a big spoon, takes two minutes. Fcuking about with a drill ? Saying that, I do like to retain our halloween tradition (it’s a Scottish thing don’t you know) and carve a tumshie (turnip) lantern too…, and I have used a drill and a spade bit for that, but they’re pretty heavy going with just a knife.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

Nobody did Pumpkins when I was a kid. We took our soapbox trollies out to the nearest Mangel-wurzel field pick the best one we could find each and haul them home. Much harder to hollow out and carve but we did candle in them then hang them on a loop of string.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, lurcherman 887 said:

f**k me mate how many do you need trolleys full :laugh: 

I went down a track last week with 12,000 pumpkins lining it,most people here celebrate in a big way,got some industrial sized bags of chocolate for trick or treat,all a bit of fun.

E781790E-8DD8-4477-A3CA-E9AA41DD12C7.jpeg

A14D33BA-FA55-41EE-8B49-14B142A55AA8.jpeg

• Thanks 1

More aimed at the much older gents among us , but I was recently lead to believe that actual trick or treating is t as old as we think it is ? 

3 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Never heard of pumpkin when I was a kid, it was always a turnip lantern.

Cheers.

4 hours ago, Arry said:

Nobody did Pumpkins when I was a kid. We took our soapbox trollies out to the nearest Mangel-wurzel field pick the best one we could find each and haul them home. Much harder to hollow out and carve but we did candle in them then hang them on a loop of string.

Cheers Arry

I’ve quoted you both as I think your the two elder statesmen on the thread , but did you actually go door to door knocking as a kid ? 

the reason I ask is that I know a very old gentleman who claims to have been one of the first in the uk to do that and says it stemmed from that across the country ? 

and his argument rings true when he says how 

5 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

More aimed at the much older gents among us , but I was recently lead to believe that actual trick or treating is t as old as we think it is ? 

I’ve quoted you both as I think your the two elder statesmen on the thread , but did you actually go door to door knocking as a kid ? 

the reason I ask is that I know a very old gentleman who claims to have been one of the first in the uk to do that and says it stemmed from that across the country ? 

and his argument rings true when he says how 

To be honest, hallow'een was nowhere near as popular as Guy Fawkes night here in the north east when I was a kid, and I can't remember anyone going "trick or treating", possibly because of the slums and poverty of Newcastle, putting food on the table for your own kids was a far bigger priority than giving sweets to strangers kids back in the 50's.

Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

To be honest, hallow'een was nowhere near as popular as Guy Fawkes night here in the north east when I was a kid, and I can't remember anyone going "trick or treating", possibly because of the slums and poverty of Newcastle, putting food on the table for your own kids was a far bigger priority than giving sweets to strangers kids back in the 50's.

Cheers.

Penny for the guy was the earner for us urchins,plot up outside the workmen’s club like a Romanian beggar sits beside a cash machine nowadays.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1