On the moles

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just finished farm happy farmer 57 moles had grandson today with me he loves been on farms

Checking traps today and Two albinos from the same field.  

Future catcher in the making. Will undercut the lot of us as well. 10 moles for a yogurt.  

Posted Images

Well the grandson set one of @DIDO.1gifted putanges with one of @lifelong cumbriangifted triggers and walla a kill he is over the moon , only problem is he said he could not find one of his putanges he is using 3" wire staples to peg them but says the ground was rocky and it was only in half way he said he checked in about 9" but nothing lol any ideas chaps 

20240602_120944.jpg

Edited by blueeyes
Add pic
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, blueeyes said:

Well the grandson set one of @DIDO.1gifted putanges with one of @lifelong cumbriangifted triggers and walla a kill he is over the moon , only problem is he said he could not find one of his putanges he is using 3" wire staples to peg them but says the ground was rocky and it was only in half way he said he checked in about 9" but nothing lol any ideas chaps 

20240602_120944.jpg

I use hand held pin pointer when use purtangs on big golf courses helps find traps as can't put marker out sometimes you put 3 or 4 in same cut out and forget there's more then 2 so pin pointer finds trap 👍

10 hours ago, blueeyes said:

20240602_120944.jpg

I use what ever I’m using as a marker, usually a neon marker sold by uk putange, they are simple but effective, and long enough I can use them straight through the eye of putange an still more than enough left above ground to see, if ground is proper stony tho then the markers ain’t very good an I use a tent peg an give it a few taps, an try an get all the putanges set in the trap bed with eyes on top of each other so I only need to use one peg, and if it’s an undercover job then I use tent pegs an then a bit a marker paint a probes distance from the trap bed, if he ain’t using loads a putanges then tell him it’s best to cover the trap bed with summat wlse( little placcy take away lid/little bit wooden board) with some soil on top, it makes it much easier to open back up when checking compared to using your sod to cover it

• Like 1

will be a mole in the other trap, will have dragged it up the tube, if you dont have a means of locating it follow the tube by pushing a stick up, you will have to open a few bits up probably.  If the ground is really stoney you could put a bit of twine on and peg in outside the hole, only drawback with that is the trap could move slightly when the mole touches the trigger, not ideal. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, tank34 said:

I use hand held pin pointer when use purtangs on big golf courses helps find traps as can't put marker out sometimes you put 3 or 4 in same cut out and forget there's more then 2 so pin pointer finds trap 👍

what is the pin pointer you talk of mate, i was going to get a old metal detector folk lost traps but i have a pacemaker in and it would probably effect it.

1 minute ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

what is the pin pointer you talk of mate, i was going to get a old metal detector folk lost traps but i have a pacemaker in and it would probably effect it.

It’s a small metal detector they use once they get a ping on the bigger one an are digging down, about same size as a mk3 ferret finder or there abouts mate

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

Hand held metal detector fit in your pocket picks up about 6in deep mate

• Like 2
3 hours ago, WataWalloper said:

Well iv had countless doubles the past 2 months an most of them come from the connector runs 👍

i get most doubles from fence lines with putanges. we all have different styles of trapping, as long as we are happy in our approach and catch rate everyones a winner.

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...