shooting foxes with shotguns

In my experience ,as long as the shot size is not too small ie bigger than 4's then its all about range and target shape .Ill explain -Shots at a standing target shouldnt be long range ,under 30 yards for preference .The way the fox is stood makes a big difference to a clean kill or a wounded fox .I like a fox to be side on for a shotgun as its vital organs are on show .Squeak your fox in and when its at the required distance ,whistle softly .Charlie usually jumps sideways for a moment to take stock of things and this is the time to let him have it .Foxes that will not be stopped can be shot head on at close range .Bolted foxes are usually shot and killed outright at closer range and when at full stretch ,again the vital organs are exposed .Dont take silly long rangers as a wounded fox will be the result more often than a clean kill .

In my experience ,as long as the shot size is not too small ie bigger than 4's then its all about range and target shape .Ill explain -Shots at a standing target shouldnt be long range ,under 30 yards for preference .The way the fox is stood makes a big difference to a clean kill or a wounded fox .I like a fox to be side on for a shotgun as its vital organs are on show .Squeak your fox in and when its at the required distance ,whistle softly .Charlie usually jumps sideways for a moment to take stock of things and this is the time to let him have it .Foxes that will not be stopped can be shot head on at close range .Bolted foxes are usually shot and killed outright at closer range and when at full stretch ,again the vital organs are exposed .Dont take silly long rangers as a wounded fox will be the result more often than a clean kill .

:clapper::clapper::clapper: good sound advise, unlike most shite posted on this site :thumbs:

i have alphamax no1 46 gram and was wondering if they were sutable or would i need buckshot for descent range .

is buckshot legal in scotland, who makes it,how much is it normally and do you need a special gun for it.

Depends on your definition of Buckshot in this country (which tends to be different from USA).

We would not normally refer to the likes of BB or AAA as buckshot. SSG (very hard to find), SG and LG (Never seen this) is Buckshot and is virtually useless for hunting unless the quarry is stood in front of you.

SG, which I have, is devastating with 9 lumps of lead at 8.4 mm each and producing nearly 2000ft lb! Hit a fox with this and you pebbledash the whole county! But that is the problem..hitting them; unless they have their nose on the end of the barrel.

You do not need a "special" gun for SG as long as it is normally pressure rated but you do want to be careful NOT to choke it right down.

No ideas if this stuff is legal in Scotland but I can see little or no use in using it for fox hunting.

Fox....I would suggest, as has already been said ..between about 4 and BB (I think AAA is probably a bit big).

Cheers

Edited by Deker