Veiw from your office

1 hour ago, NEWKID said:

Honestly Paul, the shape of this place is everywhere, I've had to follow some walls, but in the bathroom I've packed the battens and tried to get it fairly square/level... its been a b*****d! Lol

I can't plaster for toffee, but I'm OK with most structural things, so knocking up the timber and boards I can do, saves paying someone..back at it tonight! Lol

Bent walls in old buildings are called character mate you’ve done a grand job I was using a hammer and nails when I was getting a pound a board no cordlesses back then lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Leaving home for the office View from the office. Closer view from the office.....they are farmed deer.... The office. Planting new trees and re-establishing old lines

Beautiful day this morning. Cheers Arry

Posted Images

1 hour ago, NEWKID said:

Honestly Paul, the shape of this place is everywhere, I've had to follow some walls, but in the bathroom I've packed the battens and tried to get it fairly square/level... its been a b*****d! Lol

I can't plaster for toffee, but I'm OK with most structural things, so knocking up the timber and boards I can do, saves paying someone..back at it tonight! Lol

Rather have your place than a shite new build any day of the week , solid and built to last …. ( well up to now anyway ) 🤣.  Just finishing off decorating the third 200 yr old (at least) Georgian town house (on the trot ) . All been totally restored from proper decaying wrecks …. It’s satisfying when it’s finished … you even find little gems of history every now and then 

D5145158-35CB-4073-B835-53F27BE03579.jpeg

Edited by Franks dad
  • Like 6
41 minutes ago, WILF said:

Lift a floor board and 15 more jobs appear……

Absolutely mate!

My trade is all about line and level, this place don't quite fit that!! Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
34 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Bent walls in old buildings are called character mate you’ve done a grand job I was using a hammer and nails when I was getting a pound a board no cordlesses back then lol

Thanks mate, and I totally agree...when you come here you'll see the best "bent wall" ever in the cottage, it is a complete bananna if I'd of tried to straighten it we would of been left with one long corridor! Lol

• Haha 1
29 minutes ago, Franks dad said:

Rather have your place than a shite new build any day of the week , solid and built to last …. ( well up to now anyway ) 🤣.  Just finishing off decorating the third 200 yr old (at least) Georgian town house . All been totally restored from proper decaying wrecks …. It’s satisfying when it’s finished … you even find little gems of history every now and then 

D5145158-35CB-4073-B835-53F27BE03579.jpeg

Completely agree, although at times just to have the normality of a new build would be nice! Lol

The cellar in this place dates back to 1054, it's all built on an old saxon long house, with the first bit done in Tudor times, then a Georgian extention to the rear and a 2 bed annexe about 30 odd years ago, the history is great and I'm trying to keep as much as possible intact, but lath and plaster walls and ceilings are a twat, cob walls are a twat, branches for joists are complete twats! Lol

Here's a few of the finds under the floor boards this time..

20240528_171737.jpg.a16b626c91dcf744295dcf20f108f1a2.jpg

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Completely agree, although at times just to have the normality of a new build would be nice! Lol

The cellar in this place dates back to 1054, it's all built on an old saxon long house, with the first bit done in Tudor times, then a Georgian extention to the rear and a 2 bed annexe about 30 odd years ago, the history is great and I'm trying to keep as much as possible intact, but lath and plaster walls and ceilings are a twat, cob walls are a twat, branches for joists are complete twats! Lol

I Love it , do you have any pics of the outside and any original features in the cellar   ?  ….. can’t even get my head round that far back !! Did a pub a few years ago that was built in 1630 ish  and hasn’t changed all that much tbf … had a couple of priest holes . Original oak studded door , you could almost feel the history when you where in it ….. I’ve been in basements with original Roman columns . Knowing there was someone standing exactly on the spot you are from that long ago …. Mind blowing ….. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, NEWKID said:

Can I have permission to metal detect the garden??

(Before Arry gets in there) 😁

• Haha 4
4 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

I have mentioned it to Arry before...but I might have a go myself, could do with a decent treasure haul! Lol

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

Oi,get back to your moles,leave this sort of thing to the experts.

WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Robert Fooks had dug 2ft deep using a pickaxe by torchlight when he found a smashed glazed pottery bowl full to...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Do you not have to renovate it in a traditional way like using lime plaster etc? I love looking at old building with walls all over the place etc its character but I think living in one would piss me off.

22 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Do you not have to renovate it in a traditional way like using lime plaster etc? I love looking at old building with walls all over the place etc its character but I think living in one would piss me off.

I have in all the other rooms so far, but the walls were so bad in these 2 rooms I couldn't make it work, it's certainly not an easy project, parts of these rooms had already had renovation by previous owners, probably 30 years ago, so there is odd plaster board stuck on walls, even a solid block wall built straight on top of the floor boards as a divining wall, no strengthening below etc...its a minefield mate, I'm trying to keep as many features as possible, but lots have been lost over the years with less sympathetic farmers! Lol

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

I Love working on the old  listed ones....will you be moving into it when its done? Air bnb? Or selling on ?DSC_5998.JPG.ecc75ce4221176d9d4d9a06813730914.JPGDSC_6005.JPG.25392cb5d059575a1c8ce1075b4e8d61.JPGDSC_5999.JPG.61bd13b91b6dd217d82f191b2497ef16.JPGDSC_5996.JPG.d0fec892753f70fca8efbcc727f89123.JPG

We're living on it now mate, the top floor is finished, kids rooms and bathroom, heating system and plumbing in (new oil boiler needed at some point) first fix electrics in on middle and ground floor, still using a split between old and new.. hopefully finish middle floor this summer, then onto ground floor, that's a bid undertaking so need to get my head down and hopefully get on it next year... we've made a few downstairs rooms liveable, the kitchen is the big one, complete rip out required!

Long term we will hopefully build a small place in the top field for us and holiday let all of it, 3 cottages and the main house...there is a long run of barns as well, but that is making my head hurt thinking about it!! Lol

• Like 5

Labouring for my mate today building a well, 1800 bricks to cut, my back feels like it’s going to break 

The Yorkshire stone arrived for next week, this will be the most expensive patio I’ve ever put down, £200 a square meter, some people have more money than sense 

IMG_9944.jpeg

IMG_9938.jpeg

IMG_9939.jpeg

• Like 6