Wild Camping, Hiking, Back pack, Tent talk, Mini camper etc.......

5 hours ago, mackem said:

a bloke yesterday on a trail,he is in his 60’s and done the Camino twice in the last decade,he wants to do it barefoot as he says that was the old way of doing it?

Only just noticed this thread so haven't read the other 77 pages but always fancied doing this camino since watching the way film lads n remember a lad i was travelling round Thailand n aus with bout 12 year back that was planning to do it n always wonderd if he did or not, I never got round to even looking into it properly never mind doing it, I really liked that film for a few reasons tho aswell as the camino.

So what's the craic with the camino then without googling as in when to do it and best to start from etc and how long does it take again tia

Edited by dodger

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I spent a few days living out of my kayak along a secluded river.    

This weekends get away. Only one night as I was working Saturday...... again lol. Good craic

Iv'e just bought a old horsebox lorry to convert into a camper/living truck as such,a 1985 Bedford TL and a good chance it's the newest lorry i have ever bought ,mind you full service history and only

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, dodger said:

remember a lad i was travelling round Thailand n aus with bout 12 year back that was planning to do it n always wonderd if he did or not, 

The most carefree guy I ever met was a New Zealand bloke who was walking around the world,met him in HK when he rocked up looking for work to find his onward travels,I always wondered how his story ended,told wild tales including almost being raped in Morocco.

The Camino there’s a 70+ year old on this who has done it 16 times,got to keep going.

8 hours ago, dodger said:

Only just noticed this thread so haven't read the other 77 pages but always fancied doing this camino since watching the way film lads n remember a lad i was travelling round Thailand n aus with bout 12 year back that was planning to do it n always wonderd if he did or not, I never got round to even looking into it properly never mind doing it, I really liked that film for a few reasons tho aswell as the camino.

So what's the craic with the camino then without googling as in when to do it and best to start from etc and how long does it take again tia

500 mile starts in France just over the border in the pyrenees....ends in Santiago de compostela...

Going to take 3..4 week I would think

That northern Spain is stunning as well....not many tourists. 

It's one the Mrs has said we should do as well

• Like 3
8 hours ago, dodger said:

It gets really busy these days. Plenty of cheap accommodation but in season it becomes a race for a bed. I was thinking of doing it in march before it gets busy but we have booked a family holiday in February now so that's thrown a spanner in the works. Might see if my youngest fancys doing a section of it in the school holidays 

6 minutes ago, TOMO said:

500 mile starts in France just over the border in the pyrenees....ends in Santiago de compostela...

Going to take 3..4 week I would think

That northern Spain is stunning as well....not many tourists. 

It's one the Mrs has said we should do as well

Hope you do it thanks and yes it looks stunning..

8 hours ago, mackem said:

The most carefree guy I ever met was a New Zealand bloke who was walking around the world,met him in HK when he rocked up looking for work to find his onward travels,I always wondered how his story ended,told wild tales including almost being raped in Morocco.

The Camino there’s a 70+ year old on this who has done it 16 times,got to keep going.

Just heading out to go beating I'll have a look at that later on thanks 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

It gets really busy these days. Plenty of cheap accommodation but in season it becomes a race for a bed. I was thinking of doing it in march before it gets busy but we have booked a family holiday in February now so that's thrown a spanner in the works. Might see if my youngest fancys doing a section of it in the school holidays 

Where did you book the holiday up for eventually?Look into the Mont Blanc trail maybe for a father/son hike,it’s short and equally as scenic,I had two go to Switzerland twice earlier this year so made the time to do two short walks on the MBT.

4B6828B2-C167-4FF8-8E0D-238D788FE721.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, mackem said:

Where did you book the holiday up for eventually?Look into the Mont Blanc trail maybe for a father/son hike,it’s short and equally as scenic,I had two go to Switzerland twice earlier this year so made the time to do two short walks on the MBT.

4B6828B2-C167-4FF8-8E0D-238D788FE721.jpeg

We are just going to Tenerife for a week, try and break the winter up a bit. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

That would be great especially to share it with your lad👍

18 hours ago, mackem said:

Interesting that fair play to them.

What did the nz bloke do for work out of interest mack, that reminds me I met a Japanese lad this summer who was starting to travel round the world I should contact him to see were he's up to, I asked him how long you got, how long it takes he said, what an ancwer n place to be in life eh n you could tell he just didn't have a care in the world so chilled out..

1 minute ago, dodger said:

Interesting that fair play to them.

What did the nz bloke do for work out of interest mack, that reminds me I met a Japanese lad this summer who was starting to travel round the world I should contact him to see were he's up to, I asked him how long you got, how long it takes he said, what an ancwer n place to be in life eh n you could tell he just didn't have a care in the world so chilled out..

The kiwi in Hong Kong got a job in a Bar mate,Ned Kelly’s in TST,he was an older bloke in his mid-30’s I was in my twenties then,had been around a bit but he was next level,wanting to earn the cash to cross china and down into Pakistan,I had already done that in reverse so gave him a little advice,I would love to know how his journey progressed but no internet or e-mail then.Internet has opened the world up,you can log on and map your journey,book accommodation and flights,check weather patterns all in a morning nowadays.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, mackem said:

The kiwi in Hong Kong got a job in a Bar mate,Ned Kelly’s in TST,he was an older bloke in his mid-30’s I was in my twenties then,had been around a bit but he was next level,wanting to earn the cash to cross china and down into Pakistan,I had already done that in reverse so gave him a little advice,I would love to know how his journey progressed but no internet or e-mail then.Internet has opened the world up,you can log on and map your journey,book accommodation and flights,check weather patterns all in a morning nowadays.

Sounds an interesting fella but more impressive that you did that in your 20s what was that like traveling in China and going into Pakistan or is that a thread on its own?

1 hour ago, dodger said:

Sounds an interesting fella 

There’s a British bloke at the moment running from the bottom of Africa to the top,looked healthy when he started a few months back,skin and bone gaunt now,he has had the usual kidnapped and robbed stuff and time in hospital,and that’s even with a back up truck,lots of interesting people around.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, mackem said:

There’s a British bloke at the moment running from the bottom of Africa to the top,looked healthy when he started a few months back,skin and bone gaunt now,he has had the usual kidnapped and robbed stuff and time in hospital,and that’s even with a back up truck,lots of interesting people around.

I have been following him on and off , I like his get up and go. Fair play to the lad.

• Like 1