Patterdale x whippet

1 hour ago, baker boy said:

Perhps they could make a decent bushing dog and around buries and certainly easier to find a driven working Patterdale that a all out working pure Bedlington

I'd rather have a spaniel for that job tbh. 

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I reckon he could teach most pure whippets a thing or two. First x whippet Russell. Probably not as fast as a straight whippet but hardy, clever and brave. I wish I could have him back at that age aga

Russell X 3/4 grey 1/4 collie. This lad done way, way more than I ever expected. 22" ? Cheers, D.    

its a funny subject isn't it ....this hole thing of a dog opening up....yapping... as lurcher lads we are so programed to hate and detest opening up....its to point where most lads would never ad

Posted Images

I’m struggling to see how folk find it such a hard concept ? lots of folk keep Beddy x whip types. Bred out of a whippet and a terrier that maybe once looked at a bush and mouthed a rabbit. Alternatively they could breed the same size and type Lurcher out of a terrier that would do 12 hours to ground getting its head chewed in the dark against a much bigger quarry without giving an inch and then once out be racing for more despite looking like it’s gone ten rounds with a meat mincer ........ which realistically is going to produce the more driven, harder little dog. And I know of plenty of pats as tall or taller and certainly better built than most Beddys. 

• Like 8
1 minute ago, baker boy said:

Who mentioned runner, no one ...again, you really need to learn and understand whats being discussed before you comment, your replies are very 1 dimensional, no wants or has mentioned breeding this particular cross as an out and out running dog, you're starting to come across as a bit of a clown now mate and I dont say that lightly

we was talking them letting out when chasing mate you and others was saying you get silent pats they chase no noise now your saying wasnt talking runners so what use is a busher doesnt let out ?just contradiction after contradiction mate ?

5 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I’m struggling to see how folk find it such a hard concept ? lots of folk keep Beddy x whip types. Bred out of a whippet and a terrier that maybe once looked at a bush and mouthed a rabbit. Alternatively they could breed the same size and type Lurcher out of a terrier that would do 12 hours to ground getting its head chewed in the dark against a much bigger quarry without giving an inch and then once out be racing for more despite looking like it’s gone ten rounds with a meat mincer ........ which realistically is going to produce the more driven, harder little dog. And I know of plenty of pats as tall or taller and certainly better built than most Beddys. 

chancers of a pat x whip letting out when chasing finding  a hole and going to ground would be much higher than a beddyx whip doing it is what i think lads are trying to say mate ?

1 minute ago, mC HULL said:

chancers of a pat x whip letting out when chasing finding  a hole and going to ground would be much higher than a beddyx whip doing it is what i think lads are trying to say mate ?

If a Beddy x whippet was chasing a fox and that fox went to ground and said Beddy x whippet could fit after it - I’d be questioning why it didn’t wedge itself in ? plenty of Beddy x drop to ground and a hell of a lot of them yip in cover or when chasing. I don’t think there is any more chance of any of that happening with a pat x whippet and ultimately if you keep little 20” or below terrier xs then stuff like yippibg and dropping in, is always on the cards. They aren’t being kept as flat out runners, for lamping etc. Most lads are using them as little vermin dogs around cover, barns, holes etc. And I’d just say if you’re aiming for that - a pat x would beat a lot of Beddy x I think 

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, baker boy said:

Cant fault you, but others want something else, just the way it is

Folk can do what they want mate that's the beauty of it. 

I just don't think they are reinventing the wheel at the end of the day. 

I'm sure some would make handy dogs even if it's been done before. 

6 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

If a Beddy x whippet was chasing a fox and that fox went to ground and said Beddy x whippet could fit after it - I’d be questioning why it didn’t wedge itself in ? plenty of Beddy x drop to ground and a hell of a lot of them yip in cover or when chasing. I don’t think there is any more chance of any of that happening with a pat x whippet and ultimately if you keep little 20” or below terrier xs then stuff like yippibg and dropping in, is always on the cards. They aren’t being kept as flat out runners, for lamping etc. Most lads are using them as little vermin dogs around cover, barns, holes etc. And I’d just say if you’re aiming for that - a pat x would beat a lot of Beddy x I think 

?

10 minutes ago, baker boy said:

Im stating a simple fact a  lot of Patterdale type terriers are not noisy yapping types like a lot of terrier types, whether they are any use in a bushing/ferreting kind of work would be a guess by me because I dont do any bushing, as a running dog I think they would be a non starter but Im happy to be proven wrong

I don’t really like my bushers yipping too much ......

17 minutes ago, jackthelad said:

folk that hunt mate coursings not all there is to it

Exactly right mate, it’s not all about running in a field people breed lurchers to do dozens of different jobs on all types of quarry and terrain. That’s the beauty of breeding types

• Like 3

Also it seems like there is becoming a shift in people’s attitudes to small terrier bred lurchers, the beddy whippet would be a few places down on my list if I wanted a whippet terrier cross. Russell pat or bull whippet from the right stuff would be my choice

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Night Walker said:

Also it seems like there is becoming a shift in people’s attitudes to small terrier bred lurchers, the beddy whippet would be a few places down on my list if I wanted a whippet terrier cross. Russell pat or bull whippet from the right stuff would be my choice

Why's that then, have you seen these crosses in action?