Trainability

Most trainable lurcher/cross  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most trainable/biddable lurcher cross out of the options below

• lurcher to lurcher
    • whippet x greyhound
    • (collie, kelpie, cattle dog) x greyhound
    • bull x greyhound
    • saluki x greyhound
    • purebreeds

I’m going to throw it out there....... but I’ve never had a dog that was good at running and catching other stuff that struggled with rabbits, but seen plenty  good rabbit dogs that couldn’t or wouldn’t do other stuff. Not saying rabbits aren’t impressive or there is any hierarchy, and they would be harder to catch in day etc but ultimately a decent Lurcher should kill you a bag of rabbits if they are there regardless of what it was got for. 

• Like 2

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same as most veteran lurcher enthusiasts,..I've enjoyed walking out with many different running dog hybrids? Loved them all and had success,.. and of course,..failures with them all..? AS fo

Some time back I watched a lads lurcher bitch jump over a sheep fence chasing a rabbit, the rabbit came back through and the bitch jumped back over this went on over a distance up the fence she did na

Tried calling my whippet of one or two risky chases, heart in my mouth sometimes, and eyes closed but she survived , only to succumb to cushings , cracking worker lived for work and so i put work in f

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Perhaps so but when lamping solid hedges the rabbits generally run up the hedge, turn 180 and run back down and then repeat until they either find a gap/burrow or get caught. A fox turns any which way with no pattern and any over run on a turn can cause alot more issues. its easier to learn running rabbits then it is foxes, rabbits run more mechanical 

Thanks for the lesson in lamping I’ve not done much of it ........

3 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

What you call her once you caught her just sue ? ?? 

They never caught it every dog that went after it got carried off. They needed your super dog in the slop with 200 yrd slip to even come close ?

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, SheepChaser said:

You’ve not run a lot of foxes then ? 

? not none of these warriors that a normal lurcher or Sal x would shy away from ? 

ive been there mate with dogs out cars few a night but single slips bull x and bitza both capable ?? I’ve seen just about every cross I can think of capable ?? 

3 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I’m going to throw it out there....... but I’ve never had a dog that was good at running and catching other stuff that struggled with rabbits, but seen plenty  good rabbit dogs that couldn’t or wouldn’t do other stuff. Not saying rabbits aren’t impressive or there is any hierarchy, and they would be harder to catch in day etc but ultimately a decent Lurcher should kill you a bag of rabbits if they are there regardless of what it was got for. 

Completely agree, reason they're called the humble rabbit 

1 minute ago, Gypsydog94 said:

They never caught it every dog that went after it got carried off. They needed your super dog in the slop with 200 yrd slip to even come close ?

? no super dog mate just good honest dog ? I could show you a few different crosses ? ?? 

3 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I’m going to throw it out there....... but I’ve never had a dog that was good at running and catching other stuff that struggled with rabbits

I have, a few times.  Owned a couple, and seen a couple exactly like it.  Good on hare and deer, not so good on rabbits.  And in the case of one of my own, wasn't even interested in rabbits.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I have, a few times.  Owned a couple, and seen a couple exactly like it.  Good on hare and deer, not so good on rabbits.  And in the case of one of my own, wasn't even interested in rabbits.

Got to honest this pointerx isn’t very good on rabbits but decent at catching other day time stuff she’s probably caught 3/4 rabbits in her life 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, South hams hunter said:

There's a few down here like that, live in small fields with 3/4 gates on em. Could get em on a blowey night but they keep the population going don't they 

Me great granddad, me granddad, me faither and me have all had a good few runs on uncatchable sue ,she's still out there wi leverets