Trainability

Most trainable lurcher/cross  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most trainable/biddable lurcher cross out of the options below

• lurcher to lurcher
    • whippet x greyhound
    • (collie, kelpie, cattle dog) x greyhound
    • bull x greyhound
    • saluki x greyhound
    • purebreeds

2 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

It's got little to do with the dog imo and everything to do with the trainer/owner.

The bull bloods i once owned suited my (limited) training ability and they hardly put a foot wrong. I was proud of what mine could do, from a training point of view.

Even better was the Lurcher x Lurcher dog i had from Joe, he was so easy to train to a decent standard it was effortless. The same with others i've owned too.

Pastoral bloods i've owned, i done well with but i always knew 'i' was limited not them, in what i wanted them for and how far i could (be bothered) take them. I admire those who take these to outstanding levels.

And then the coursing bloods... The ones 35 years ago were ok'ish and we found mutual ground, which was mostley 'aim and slip' but this 'thing' i've got right now is a fecking enigma, i just can't find common ground. I know she has so much potential but i just can't tap into it and at 12 months old the flustration is really getting to me...! I know there are lads who just gel with this blood and can get them to do just about anything but for me, Jesus H Christ it's fecking tough...?

Pocket full of bounce chunks mate ,she soon turn a corner 

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same as most veteran lurcher enthusiasts,..I've enjoyed walking out with many different running dog hybrids? Loved them all and had success,.. and of course,..failures with them all..? AS fo

Some time back I watched a lads lurcher bitch jump over a sheep fence chasing a rabbit, the rabbit came back through and the bitch jumped back over this went on over a distance up the fence she did na

Tried calling my whippet of one or two risky chases, heart in my mouth sometimes, and eyes closed but she survived , only to succumb to cushings , cracking worker lived for work and so i put work in f

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Gypsydog94 said:

My collie bull grey will not look at sheep due to the stock breaking. Pain in the ass on the lamp and what your running heads right for them and won’t follow ??

Tbh mate I think that not completely stockbreaking a lurcher before you start running it is pretty irresponsible.Myself and a mate that I used to hunt with had bull crosses that we could slip on anything even if it was amongst a field of sheep.Ive got a bandog bitch here now with a big lump of bull in her that I can leave unattended with sheep,horses and even chickens and ducks and she wont even look at them.Saying a lurcher is iffy around stock just because it has bull in it is just an excuse for laziness.Ive had game bred bulldogs that were fine around stock.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Tbh mate I think that not completely stockbreaking a lurcher before you start running it is pretty irresponsible.Myself and a mate that I used to hunt with had bull crosses that we could slip on anything even if it was amongst a field of sheep.Ive got a bandog bitch here now with a big lump of bull in her that I can leave unattended with sheep,horses and even chickens and ducks and she wont even look at them.Saying a lurcher is iffy around stock just because it has bull in it is just an excuse for laziness.Ive had game bred bulldogs that were fine around stock.

Mines bombproof with stock just won’t run through them. Will go round which can be a pain 

• Like 1
Just now, Gypsydog94 said:

Mines bombproof with stock just won’t run through them. Will go round which can be a pain 

A pain but at least its safe and not getting you in bother.Known lads that have been trashed to slip a dog in the same vicinity as a field of sheep in case it looses the intended quarry.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, downsouth said:

A pain but at least its safe and not getting you in bother.Known lads that have been trashed to slip a dog in the same vicinity as a field of sheep in case it looses the intended quarry.

Just don’t let it learn to jump ? sheep always fenced in win win ? 

15 minutes ago, downsouth said:

True I got mates that won’t slip in a field of sheep 

I've had a few lurcher mixes, and the wife's pride (an italian greyhound) was very trainable. The lurchers can learn some basic obedience fairly quickly but other than recalls and name association, I don't care much to "train" them. They are a different make- my current stud lived outside most of his life with nothing but a little dog house and hay- he's tough as nails and the 'yotes he's run into would attest to that if they could?. I've always said if I was ever going to thoroughly train a dog i'd be gettin a dobermann or czech/ddr GSD. 

3 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

You think your the only fcuker with coursing types ???? 

away with you ye kennel blind buffoon, you ain’t got anything no but else that day walks ain’t got ? an let’s just say even the best of them was found wanting them out to work on the lamp an stuff, that’s why they added them to bullx instead of using the super dooper extra driven sulkuki’s you use? 

Johnnymuddler's mate, man in't pub, reckons most of those skalkiki's owners end up just as mentally deranged as their dogs, especially the more driven type skalkiki owners.  ?‍♂️

• Haha 4
20 minutes ago, nuckHunt said:

(an italian greyhound)

Bit of a coincidence that mate.  Was talking to a woman today, with two bitches, 9 yr old and 4 yr old.  First iggys I've seen for a number of years. Lovely little things. She was also saying how easily trained they are.

8 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Bit of a coincidence that mate.  Was talking to a woman today, with two bitches, 9 yr old and 4 yr old.  First iggys I've seen for a number of years. Lovely little things. She was also saying how easily trained they are.

Our iggy will build rocket ships on the moon if you have high quality treats waiting for him. Good dog to have in the house and for a family but I like the lurchers for having workability and more grit.

• Like 1

Man int pub said and Google statistics gets used a lot on here in posts  lol ? 

man int pub is pissed talking shite and Google will have you believeing a whippet beat greyhound out the trap ? let the lesson be don’t listen to piss heads and Google is full a shit aswell most of the time ? 

Found this on Google ? 

Brown hare – top speed 72kph

Brown hares are Britain's fastest land mammal

mental the fastest U.K. mammal and the slow plodding Sal excels ? 

5 minutes ago, king said:

Does catching 10 rabbits still count if the dogs are doubled up @mC HULL 10 good rabbits will take some catching for a single dog..

I don’t have rabbit dogs mate lamp as much as  i used to but 10 rabbits wouldn’t be much bother mate even after few hard runs in the day ?? 

7 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

I don’t have rabbit dogs mate lamp as much as  i used to but 10 rabbits wouldn’t be much bother mate even after few hard runs in the day ?? 

Fair play ?

• Like 1