Homeschooling......

5 minutes ago, Astanley said:

Teachers seem to be getting a poor press lately and the perception is this is one long holiday for them ,I can only speak about what I know ,and I know of one teacher who has always been conscientious and hard working ,but since this outbreak has had to work harder and longer than ever before ,early starts and late night's are the norm ,learning and doing things outside of her remit is everyday ,the worry and concern about her students ,the dealing with idiot ,lazy irresponsible parents the mountains of red tape every cough in school entails is all taking its toll on her and it breaks my heart when she has to read some of the tripe written about her profession ,too easy to make teachers the whipping boys in all this .

?

I worked in education for over a quarter of a century and retired from teaching last January...just in time to take two months off before starting home schooling my two kids. There are lots of things which make teaching hard but the two hardest are a) arseholes further up the tree who've been out of the classroom for years and wouldn't know a decent teacher if they saw one as they're too busy ticking boxes, telling me what to do when they plainly have less respect from the kids and parents than I did and b) putting up with negativity from people who don't know what they're talking about, telling you what a doddle teaching is.

Re the home schooling...I have to admit that when it started I was thinking how easy it would be (did I mention my 25+ years experience?) but I've discovered that teaching your own kids is so much harder than teaching thirty who aren't yours. My son has just gone to his room with my chromebook and got on with it but my daughter's been a completely different story. I've loved having more time with her but it's been bloody difficult.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Astanley said:

Teachers seem to be getting a poor press lately and the perception is this is one long holiday for them ,I can only speak about what I know ,and I know of one teacher who has always been conscientious and hard working ,but since this outbreak has had to work harder and longer than ever before ,early starts and late night's are the norm ,learning and doing things outside of her remit is everyday ,the worry and concern about her students ,the dealing with idiot ,lazy irresponsible parents the mountains of red tape every cough in school entails is all taking its toll on her and it breaks my heart when she has to read some of the tripe written about her profession ,too easy to make teachers the whipping boys in all this .

My MIL is a head for a primary here and listening to the extra her and her staff have to do is unreal. 

My misses was talking to my middle daughters teacher the other day (they ring atleast once a week to check in) and she said how so many have said we'll atleast you get a break, ffs. They are teaching, providing work for those at home, covering other lessons, ringing parents and some have their own kids aswell. I know of atleast 1 teacher who has taken her kid from her normal school and is having her in the class she teaches, why? If the kids school bubble had to isolate so would the mum and would leave a class without a teacher. So she is now home schooling in a class whilst doing her normal teaching. She's getting to school around 8am and leaving around 5pm everyday 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

My MIL is a head for a primary here and listening to the extra her and her staff have to do is unreal. 

My misses was talking to my middle daughters teacher the other day (they ring atleast once a week to check in) and she said how so many have said we'll atleast you get a break, ffs. They are teaching, providing work for those at home, covering other lessons, ringing parents and some have their own kids aswell. I know of atleast 1 teacher who has taken her kid from her normal school and is having her in the class she teaches, why? If the kids school bubble had to isolate so would the mum and would leave a class without a teacher. So she is now home schooling in a class whilst doing her normal teaching. She's getting to school around 8am and leaving around 5pm everyday 

I'd say 8 to 5 was an average day when I was teaching...often closer to six. I regularly had the caretaker walking past my room, whistling, looking at his watch because he wanted to lock up....and then you get home and sometimes spend another hour or three finishing off the planning...and then there's the stuff you catch up with at the weekend because you don't get time to do it during the week...and then...

7 hours ago, TOMO said:

roll on Monday.....i for one cant wait....get the feral little fookers back at school ,there driving me mad

My how the mighty have fallen ?..... Your kids were absolute epitome of well mannered/well behaved kids when I met them... I bet thy Mrs blames you ??

I call it Karma for not shooting this dickhead and saving me the trouble. ?

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, maxhardcore said:

Sounds like classrooms are getting far to big ‘ and that the profession needs to be made more attractive so more folk aspire to teach ?

The problems are many and varied max ,I doubt even one of your legendary to do lists would solve the problems ,from red tape ,health and safety ,staff shortages ,classroom sizes ,local and national government interference ,abuse from both children and parents ,working long (unpaid )hours etc etc...If teaching is your vocation and you are hard working and conscientious ,then you are up against it ,and in my own very humble opinion it's a mistake to treat the people who educate our children this way .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, sandymere said:

Roll on Monday ???. Need some days off without the kids ? mooching about, running, surfing......

Me time?

I choked reading this post, thought I might wander into the bathroom and drown her, who runs a bath at half past eight ffs? ????

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, maxhardcore said:

Best place for them TOMO ‘ it’s not just the academic side but it’s where they thrive around others of similar age .

Shortening the 6 weeks hols to 4 going forward is being mooted 

Teachers won’t like that .

the summer holiday has needed to change for years, the only reason for it was for families to uproot themselves and get out into the countryside to help with the harvest season, back then it made sense, nowadays it is just plain stupid to have such a long break, the only thing I can remember from them is when I went back to school i`d forgotten most of the previous years work so the first few weeks were catchup.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

They shouldn't shorten it; teachers have had to work double during this and can't just take annual leave like a normal job. It's all good saying shorten the holidays but who's gonna give the teachers the extra 2 weeks they've earnt

How would the kids catch up in two weeks what they've lost in a year

17 hours ago, baker boy said:

Sounds shit mate, you wanna try 12 hour shifts on a shovel in the pissing down rain, travelling 2 hours each way ( unpaid ) on a zero hour contract, no holiday pay no sick pay etc, wish I'd gone to school now..?

Did I mention that I often walked home after work (c. 8 miles) as the buses were so crap that it was only marginally quicker to get one and I begrudged paying that much money.?

On 06/03/2021 at 06:34, pesky1972 said:

I get that. It’s been really frustrating at times. Mine are back in school on the 15th. I hope they never have to do this home schooling again. We’ve done our best, but their progress will still have suffered. 
My missus works at a primary school in a ‘deprived’ area, and she says a lot of the kids have done little or none of the work set by teachers in the lock downs. These kids of 7, 8, 9.., years old have lost the best part of a year, and will never catch up now. Their education, and the prospect of all it could bring them in life, fcuked. 

Dont think its just deprived areas mate.My daughter goes to a lovely little village school with a mixture of kids from hosing estates through to farmers kids a few loaded my shit dont stink types.Ive made sure my girl has done every bit of home shoolong shes been set right from the start of lockdown even though a few bit have been a struggle.Im on a watsapp group with all the other parents from her class and its all the snotty nosed c**ts who think the sun shines out of their little angels arses that have constantly been on there complaining that theyve been in tears and how the stress and arguments are getting them down and theyve given up with it.Funny how its a struggle now the actually have to spend time with them each day instead of dropping them off at breakfast club at 7 each morning and picking them up from after school club at 6 every evening.to take them home and stick them straight in bed.

• Like 3

Must admit im glad they are back today i made a regular thing of sitting on the Whatsapp video call thing with the 5 year old Grandson doing a bit of school work a few times a week but its all getting a bit too technical for me now ?

• Haha 2