What's cooking?

6 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

how difficult must it be to learn four languages; English, Arabic , Japanese and French 

Five languages, you forgot Geordie (not exactly English is it, lol).My kids speak flawless Cantonese, surprises people. 

• Like 2

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rabbit Pie ! And, for the purists, made with shortcrust pastry, NOT puff pastry ! ? ! Cheers.

Family get together at ours, so a bit of a spread.. 13 hour cooked brisket, slow cooked pork shoulder.. Home made coleslaw, stuffing, roasties... and a 2 day hangover! Lol

Treat off my dad tonight, he's a friend on the fresh fish stall up town... Scallops and lemon sole fillets...

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, mackem said:

Five languages, you forgot Geordie (not exactly English is it, lol).My kids speak flawless Cantonese, surprises people. 

When my missus is talking to our grandson she drops in Geordie words that only people of our age would understand and he gets quite perplexed!

Who has heard of words like lisk, oxter, hinnie, gallowa, gully,etc?

Cheers.

• Like 1

My wife is a primary school teacher in a Welsh medium school, she has had several children in her class who are trilingual and one or two who are quadrilingual. 

Edited by Aled
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, chartpolski said:

When my missus is talking to our grandson she drops in Geordie words that only people of our age would understand and he gets quite perplexed!

Cheers.

can you imagine the lads poor english teacher when he gets  home and he’s talking like a geordie lol 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, mackem said:

Polyglots, are they Eastern European or Asian? 

A bit of all sorts, yes Asian, Eastern European, French Parent, Canadian Parent, Spanish Parent, Danish, and Dutch.  missed out an Argentinean (Patagonia) also one child with Grandparents from Brittany who spoke Breton, French, Welsh & English. 

Edited by Aled
2 hours ago, Aled said:

A bit of all sorts, yes Asian, Eastern European, French Parent, Canadian Parent, Spanish Parent, Danish, and Dutch.  missed out an Argentinean (Patagonia) also one child with Grandparents from Brittany who spoke Breton, French, Welsh & English. 

The Patagonian can chat to the Welsh children, there's a place in Patagonia they speak Welsh. 

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

i thank the lord im an idiot....intelligence is a curse....

Eat more olives. 

2 hours ago, mackem said:

The Patagonian can chat to the Welsh children, there's a place in Patagonia they speak Welsh. 

Yes and the child who had a Spanish Dad was gutted that they insisted that he spoke Welsh to them, he was desperate to show off his Spanish speaking skills fair play to him. 

Edited by Aled
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

Hinnie was in common use in conversations or greetings when I was growing up. Did it originally come from a word for a female donkey? Heard gallowa used not long ago in a slightly surreal setting. Meeting up with an old friend and hunting partner for a pint and when I got there he was sitting deep in conversation with a beautiful African American girl. Turns out she was a friend of my nephew and an equine vet, they had met at RVC. My mate and this young lady shared an interest in all things horsey and it was odd to see her fascinated by his tales and knowledge of gallowa's, as he was calling them 🙂 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

Hinnie was in common use in conversations or greetings when I was growing up. Did it originally come from a word for a female donkey? Heard gallowa used not long ago in a slightly surreal setting. Meeting up with an old friend and hunting partner for a pint and when I got there he was sitting deep in conversation with a beautiful African American girl. Turns out she was a friend of my nephew and an equine vet, they had met at RVC. My mate and this young lady shared an interest in all things horsey and it was odd to see her fascinated by his tales and knowledge of gallowa's, as he was calling them 🙂 

Hinnie, I’m sure , is the offspring of a male horse and a female donkey, whereas mule is the offspring of a male donkey and a female horse. It’s also a type of fried oatcake, but still used as a term of affection.

Gallowa is a local term for a horse, as in “ that’s a canny gallowa ! “
72CBC279-F12A-4ED4-8C59-C8C6479CD2D7.jpeg.80234855ae2ec205f9e876fa56cb226b.jpeg

Cheers.

• Like 2