What's cooking?

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rabbit Pie ! And, for the purists, made with shortcrust pastry, NOT puff pastry ! ? ! Cheers.

Family get together at ours, so a bit of a spread.. 13 hour cooked brisket, slow cooked pork shoulder.. Home made coleslaw, stuffing, roasties... and a 2 day hangover! Lol

Treat off my dad tonight, he's a friend on the fresh fish stall up town... Scallops and lemon sole fillets...

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, Borr said:

So from another topic had my first go pickling , some shallots for starters .one with Birdseye chillies in .Over did the vinegar required so will do some eggs next weekend....

IMG_20241020_195437832.jpg

What vinegar did you use and what did you add besides chilies mate?

• Like 1

Almost forgot to post the sardine follow up…..

Cured for a bit over a week re-salted twice, now been sat in olive oil, dried chilies, garlic and a dessert spoon of finely ground Szechuan pepper, fuucking lush…..

E57D3F1F-8CA6-409A-95A0-D46095962ECB.jpeg.9cc11c01fcd0ae0d8d8da8fe4b07ba79.jpeg

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Borr said:

So from another topic had my first go pickling , some shallots for starters .one with Birdseye chillies in .Over did the vinegar required so will do some eggs next weekend....

IMG_20241020_195437832.jpg

Bloke up the road I get my pickled shallots  from and they are the bollox told me a spoon full of honey is his little edge 

• Like 5
28 minutes ago, mushroom said:

What vinegar did you use and what did you add besides chilies mate?

I used malt vinegar, it was jars of pre spiced sarsons , which I didn't notice when I picked it up . I used  mustard seeds , coriander seeds, bay leaves , lots of sugar as my lot like them sweet. I've got a lot of white vinegar and malt left , so may do eggs in white. And might see what veg is about the weekend....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After talking about tagine a earlier… I decided to tweak tonight’s meal. It was supposed to be a kung po chicken, rice and my homemade Chinese pickle…

took my normal Kung Po recipie added more red bean paste, chili and fish sauce than usual because it went in the tagine :laugh: 

Marinaded the chicken thighs and drummers in the sauce. Gave it about two hours, bedded the tagine with carrot, onion and daikon raddish, sat he chicken on top poured over the rest of the marinade and slowed cooked it in the tagine until 10mins ago..

4BE12F43-C8BC-4AAD-84D0-B95474242879.jpeg.c99efc7821027ba5d45ce42897624e1c.jpeg

Rice was cooked with fennel anise seeds, Star of anise, two teaspoons of five spice and MSG, one teaspoon of salt and all thrown in the rice cooker.

43B47BE5-0FF3-4285-8290-89AEB69F262F.jpeg.7a3a359dd86376932232de8f74a6f07b.jpeg

The pickle is simple.. slice gerkins paper thin, capers, I like to also add roasted peppers in there for a bit of sweetness, very finely sliced bok choi (the leaf, not the white stem. Fresh chopped chilies to taste, fennel and anise seeds, Two teaspoons of five spice, one teaspoon of MSG, about a desert spoon of soya sauce , two desert spoons of fish sauce (Squid brand of course lol) Chinese white vinegar to cover, garlic and ginger powder to taste.. leave it in the fridge for 2hours mixing it about every 20mins, you’ll be amazed ;)

It’s in the background to the top left of the chicken and the rice pic.

• Like 11
54 minutes ago, mushroom said:

After talking about tagine a earlier… I decided to tweak tonight’s meal. It was supposed to be a kung po chicken, rice and my homemade Chinese pickle…

took my normal Kung Po recipie added more red bean paste, chili and fish sauce than usual because it went in the tagine :laugh: 

Marinaded the chicken thighs and drummers in the sauce. Gave it about two hours, bedded the tagine with carrot, onion and daikon raddish, sat he chicken on top poured over the rest of the marinade and slowed cooked it in the tagine until 10mins ago..

4BE12F43-C8BC-4AAD-84D0-B95474242879.jpeg.c99efc7821027ba5d45ce42897624e1c.jpeg

Rice was cooked with fennel anise seeds, Star of anise, two teaspoons of five spice and MSG, one teaspoon of salt and all thrown in the rice cooker.

43B47BE5-0FF3-4285-8290-89AEB69F262F.jpeg.7a3a359dd86376932232de8f74a6f07b.jpeg

The pickle is simple.. slice gerkins paper thin, capers, I like to also add roasted peppers in there for a bit of sweetness, very finely sliced bok choi (the leaf, not the white stem. Fresh chopped chilies to taste, fennel and anise seeds, Two teaspoons of five spice, one teaspoon of MSG, about a desert spoon of soya sauce , two desert spoons of fish sauce (Squid brand of course lol) Chinese white vinegar to cover, garlic and ginger powder to taste.. leave it in the fridge for 2hours mixing it about every 20mins, you’ll be amazed ;)

It’s in the background to the top left of the chicken and the rice pic.

That chicken looks superb.  👍

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, shaaark said:

That chicken looks superb.  👍

It was mate thank you ;)

The skin was crispy and that marinade soaked right in and set right. The meat underneath was like butter falling off the bone.

• Like 1

Anglo/Spanish chicken....

no herbs or spices ..just nice chicken stock and a few twists of black pepper...dates/sultanas/spring onions/white onion/mushrooms

really easy on yer tum...very tasty...the couscous sucked up all the stock after cooking and removing the chicken

P1010472as.jpg

P1010473as.jpg

P1010476as.jpg

P1010475as.jpg

P1010474as.jpg

• Like 8