Deerhound

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres my Cooklands bred first cross Deerhound/Greyhound,he was 10yrs last month just under 31tts which to me has not hampered him(watch Axel on Lurcher Mania) he has worked/works certain types of cove

Real deerhound crosses...... Cheers.  

Wheatan/Greyhound x Deerhound; Cheers.  

Posted Images

1 minute ago, shaaark said:

Hehehe you're so humble, it's refreshing lol. Some of us, me included, don't need to sound off about what we've done, where we've been, what we've caught with our dogs etc etc. 

For example, I don't have one photograph of any of my dog' catches. Never took any, ever. I must be lying, I've no 

1 minute ago, shaaark said:

But, there was deerhound in them, no?

BDE44837-8D88-450B-A94B-B5A2D7E0F1CC.jpeg

5 hours ago, maxhardcore said:

IMG_0274.JPG.69425f883ee3cdc793aac2d6fafc4384.JPG

I know the bloke who bred this dog, him and another person are the only people I've heard of over here with decent working deerhounds. The other old blokes used to do pest control with a dozen deerhounds and would clear properties of all feral animals very quickly. All other deerhounds I've seen here are too soft,even for foxes. 

12 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

I know the bloke who bred this dog, him and another person are the only people I've heard of over here with decent working deerhounds. The other old blokes used to do pest control with a dozen deerhounds and would clear properties of all feral animals very quickly. All other deerhounds I've seen here are too soft,even for foxes. 

Does Liz McCormack still have the Deerhounds ?

Cheers.

• Like 1

Aren't the Staghounds over the pond carrying a lot of Deerhound blood. 

It's a dog breed that I should imagine isn't a world beater as a pure but they make good crosses. 

Now is that a case of these dogs being good because of Deerhound blood or despite it. 

4 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Aren't the Staghounds over the pond carrying a lot of Deerhound blood. 

It's a dog breed that I should imagine isn't a world beater as a pure but they make good crosses. 

Now is that a case of these dogs being good because of Deerhound blood or despite it. 

I was told that the deerhound or wolfhound blood was added as it assimilates the height easier to a running dog than say a mastiff or Great Dane would . 

makes sense if you think 

• Like 1
Just now, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I was told that the deerhound or wolfhound blood was added as it assimilates the height easier to a running dog than say a mastiff or Great Dane would . 

makes sense if you think 

Yes I suppose it keeps the height up when you cross breeds such as bull in to greyhound. 

One of the reasons that stags and such are proficient killers over smaller dogs must be because of the great leverage they get with their height. 

17 minutes ago, sandymere said:

In the main I reckon the ancestors of stag hounds etc in USA, Australia etc were likely taken over long before the kennel club destroyed the Deerhound over here. 

Are they really that old or are those types of dogs more like lurchers and base blooded as and when bred ? 

3 hours ago, jukel123 said:

f**k the pennines, true Scottish Highland hills covered in snow.?

With the Global Warming ..."Scottish Highland hills covered in snow" are already on the Endangered list aswell guys.

The Deerhounds had Bloodhound added in by the Victorians.  They came in a wider array of colours before then.  They were even scarce in Scotland during the Colonsay period.

Apparantly Ireland is the home of the Deerhound now from what's on this forum.  It's likely from the Emerald Isle they'll be returned to being the excellent hound they once were, and should be once more.  Merry X'mas everyone.

• Like 1