Running *Pup* Maintainence

Morning folks.

I've spent the past 2 days patiently waiting my copy of Running Dog Maintenance by Penny Taylor, to turn up, but the posty is killing me!

I'm sure I could wait the couple of days more, but I'm interested in the group consensus as to what you guys feed your running dogs..

I've got a little 14 week old whippet x lurcher bitch who I've been feeding on puppy kibble as her teeth come through and she grows, but I'd like to transition her to a raw food diet as I certainly wouldnt eat kibble, and I dont see why she should have too either. 

I know the book I'm waiting on is packed full of dietary info, but in your experience, what raw food diets work well with puppies?

TIA

20201130_102722.jpg

• Like 6

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning folks. I've spent the past 2 days patiently waiting my copy of Running Dog Maintenance by Penny Taylor, to turn up, but the posty is killing me! I'm sure I could wait the couple of d

Get some raw into it?

boys I know put that up their noses on a weekend ?I don't go out shagging or drinking, I don't waste money following football teams, don't drive flash motors, always dressed like a tramp?save for what

Posted Images

I feed all mine on a 75%mixed raw 25% kibble that’s what’s worked well for me I feed the same from pups to adult nothing changes bar the kibble an quantity. bowl below was typical type of food I offered my pup if it didn’t eat what was offered it missed out I don’t encourage fussy eating 

88D8F655-A1FF-4848-86A6-9B23A8B0BFB5.jpeg

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, samuria said:

looks a nice dog... hope you both enjoy the times to come....:thumbs:

Usually feed on raw and kibble but the pup I have at the min is in the house so she's on iams puppy and doing well with it no cereal in it from what it says on the bag and her shits are firm 

Wow, did not expevt such an influx of answers so quickly! 

Thanks guys :)

@poxon your dogs eat well! Do you rely on the kibble for veggie nutrients and additinal carbs?

@Balaur I hadnt thought of mince as a good introduction whilst she's still teething, great shout, thank you! 

How do you guys assess the weights and amounts of food out of interest?

Keep it simple. I have the book and there’s some decent info in the nutrition chapter. It’s a handy book for when the dogs get injured etc. All explained simply which is good for us Lurcher folk! Mine are on raw but rarely mince it. For young dogs I would mince some stuff to get them started. Tips of chicken wings etc I find they can eat no bother. Tins of sardines are spot on. You can complicate things. I know I did when I first started. Get to your local butcher and ask for off cuts and any carcass. They might help out. There’s some decent info in the barf section on here. Don’t encourage fussy eating like poxon said above. Plenty of fatty meat with a bit of bone and you won’t go far wrong. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, 3dumb said:

Wow, did not expevt such an influx of answers so quickly! 

Thanks guys :)

@poxon your dogs eat well! Do you rely on the kibble for veggie nutrients and additinal carbs?

@Balaur I hadnt thought of mince as a good introduction whilst she's still teething, great shout, thank you! 

How do you guys assess the weights and amounts of food out of interest?

Don’t worry about amounts at this stage. Feed as much as it will eat in a sitting 

• Like 1

I think raw is best, but it’s takes a bit more effort. I get some on mine, like chicked wings and heart etc, from the supermarket as it’s cheaper than from the pet shops. I but tripe and minced lamb and beef in 1lb packets, 40 at a time from a local supplier and keep them in a freezer in the garage that I just used for dog and ferret food. This time of year, they get rabbit and hare too, with Pidgeon mixed in. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 3dumb said:

Morning folks.

I've spent the past 2 days patiently waiting my copy of Running Dog Maintenance by Penny Taylor, to turn up, but the posty is killing me!

I'm sure I could wait the couple of days more, but I'm interested in the group consensus as to what you guys feed your running dogs..

I've got a little 14 week old whippet x lurcher bitch who I've been feeding on puppy kibble as her teeth come through and she grows, but I'd like to transition her to a raw food diet as I certainly wouldnt eat kibble, and I dont see why she should have too either. 

I know the book I'm waiting on is packed full of dietary info, but in your experience, what raw food diets work well with puppies?

TIA

20201130_102722.jpg

Try your local Lidl for some cheap raw. Over here (Ireland) they have a box in the freezer where they put short date stuff at a reduced price. Set yourself a top price (like £1 a kilo) and buy everything that's cheaper. Add it up in your head because sometimes they shove it through the till carelessly and the full price sticker can get read instead of the reduced one.

I often get whole chickens for 2 euro but rightly or wrongly, I cook those in a pressure cooker and take the meat of as I don't trust the tiny thin ribs and the like. All else I feed raw and I add some "Gain puppy and sapling" as it's cheap at 30euro a bag and contains meat as it's first ingredient.

Best of luck mate, that's a nice looking pup.

• Like 1