Car clocking?

1 hour ago, walshie said:

You can turn the mileage back but apparently you can't fool the ECU. A friend of mine bought an old Peugeot for running the dogs around in. He thought it had done 160K and it ran fine. He took it to a Peugeot mechanic (not a main dealer) for some problem he couldn't fix himself and they informed him it had done over 300K pretty much as soon as they plugged the diagnostics in. 

Been told there's a way round the ecu now but don't know for sure. 

• Like 1

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Should milage not be recorded on every mot? 

That’s why I’d rather pay £800 with the high mileage than 3k clocked ??

thing is service history is only as honest as the guy that stamps the book, many local small garages do friends a favour.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

£150  a car round here mate and it’s a lot quicker than spending 2 days with an electric drill attached to your speedo cable ??

Years ago a mate left a piece of paper stuck to the back of the speedo that read OH NO NOT AGAIN before selling his motor to a garage that had a reputation for clocking their cars.

• Haha 1

Just look for the usual signs of wear like the drivers seat the steering wheel , gear knob if manual  door catches ect, you can usually feel  if something isn't adding up .

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, kanny said:

Just look for the usual signs of wear like the drivers seat the steering wheel , gear knob if manual  door catches ect, you can usually feel  if something isn't adding up .

Just a ball ache, I change my mind with each passing our. I wanted something that's a decent family car and big enough for a large dog but now I've just been looking at BMW 3 series touring. ?

Just now, Greb147 said:

Just a ball ache, I change my mind with each passing our. I wanted something that's a decent family car and big enough for a large dog but now I've just been looking at BMW 3 series touring. ?

I know what you mean Im currently thinking about a different motor  maybe a crewcab  pickup  kinda of thing I was looking at rangers  ,glad I read this thread  lol

4 minutes ago, kanny said:

I know what you mean Im currently thinking about a different motor  maybe a crewcab  pickup  kinda of thing I was looking at rangers  ,glad I read this thread  lol

It's looking like an SUV or an estate, in all honesty there's not much difference in boot space between the two. 

The estates though are much cheaper to tax and much better on fuel, is being sat high in a big SUV worth that trade-off. 

2 hours ago, Greb147 said:

It's looking like an SUV or an estate, in all honesty there's not much difference in boot space between the two. 

The estates though are much cheaper to tax and much better on fuel, is being sat high in a big SUV worth that trade-off. 

Look at a 525 e61 mate ?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, lurcherman 887 said:

Any of the new motors can be done no problem but gotta be careful as mileage is stored in the dash the key and the ecu so it needs doing properly lol

Dogmandont seems to think they can now fiddle that? 

I went to said garage yesterday that has been known to clock them, not to buy anything but to just look at the different cars I'm interested in. 

The yard was full of cars that looked to be bargain price, just looked too good to be true to the prices you see on the Web. 

They may have fixed their ways now after getting busted and such but I don't think I'm willing to take the risk on a 9K motor.

Just a heads up for anybody who lives in the area, the dealer is Car Motion in Mexborough. 

Edited by Greb147
2 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Dogmandont seems to think they can now fiddle that? 

I went to said garage yesterday that has been known to clock them, not to buy anything but to just look at the different cars I'm interested in. 

The yard was full of cars that looked to be bargain price, just looked too goo to be true to the prices you see on the Web. 

That’s because in the real world the second hand market is dead, even the local scank can walk into Mercedes sign on the dotted line and roll out in a new car they can’t afford,  if you don’t want a dodgy forecourt car just go to the auctions cut out the middle man and take your chances, you,ll also realise why your local dealer is selling them for peanuts and still making money ?

• Like 2

If the dealer is known for clocking then they can only wind it back as far as the last MOT. Just check the MOT history and if it's not obvious then I don;t think I'd be worried.

What would worry me is a small business owner who's been doing 40-50k a year and knocking 20 off to sell it after 3-5 years. But then it goes back to what kanny said, does the car look like it's had a harder life than the clock says...

1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

If the dealer is known for clocking then they can only wind it back as far as the last MOT. Just check the MOT history and if it's not obvious then I don;t think I'd be worried.

What would worry me is a small business owner who's been doing 40-50k a year and knocking 20 off to sell it after 3-5 years. But then it goes back to what kanny said, does the car look like it's had a harder life than the clock says...

Like Dogmandont said though the garage is full of one owner ex-company cars so I'm thinking they buy them just before they have their first MOT and clock them then, a company car can rack up a massive amount of miles in those first 3 years. 

For all I know they might be legit now after being rumbled but they are still run by the same blokes, I could f**k them off and still end up with a clocked car from another dealer. 

I hate f***ing hate buying cars! ?