Car clocking?

I'm interested in a Passat estate from a local garage but my old man told me he heard years ago that they clock their cars. 

How easy is it to clock modern cars and what are the best ways to discover if they've been tampered with or not? 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Should milage not be recorded on every mot? 

That’s why I’d rather pay £800 with the high mileage than 3k clocked ??

thing is service history is only as honest as the guy that stamps the book, many local small garages do friends a favour.

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

I'm interested in a Passat estate from a local garage but my old man told me he heard years ago that they clock their cars. 

How easy is it to clock modern cars and what are the best ways to discover if they've been tampered with or not? 

Easy to clock .. just check previous MOT and see if milage looks about right for a years travel.. my golf as done 145000 miles but it's nothing to them 1.9tdi engines 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Should milage not be recorded on every mot? 

I'm not sure if the mileage can be fiddled that way but remember that a car doesn't need a MOT for it's first 3 years.

5 minutes ago, Wideboy said:

Friends and family had cars over the years between 2005/2011 all have repetitive problems. A lad I worked with father owned a rescue company and reckoned that only for passats and insignias he’d have no business.

I'm looking for around a 15 plate, wonder if they still have problems? 

3 minutes ago, Chid said:

Easy to clock .. just check previous MOT and see if milage looks about right for a years travel.. my golf as done 145000 miles but it's nothing to them 1.9tdi engines 

As I said they have cars around the 15-17 plates so at max they will have only been for 3 MOT's, I suspect if they're going to clock them it will be in that time? 

They're not forced to clock them any more for all I know just wondering if theirs any tried & tested methods for busting them. 

Plenty of cars still getting clocked and most are done before their first MOT. The likes of a vw estate would be a prime candidate for clocking as lots are used by reps and the like and its not hard to put 40k a year on one so 120k before it's first MOT, knock 60k of that motor and it's worth 3 or 4 grand more. I

• Like 3

I used to work for Iveco / fiat professional and with dealer software it’s really easy to clock them, the only way you could tell if they had been clocked was if you did it connected to their server in Italy, but there was a way around doing this without connecting to the server, with some manufacturers you can do them without dealer software, some register it on the vehicle ecu ( flight recorder ) but 90% of diagnostic won’t read this, you would need VAG to read a Passat, that’s if they use flight recording software in their ECU’s

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Plenty of cars still getting clocked and most are done before their first MOT. The likes of a vw estate would be a prime candidate for clocking as lots are used by reps and the like and its not hard to put 40k a year on one so 120k before it's first MOT, knock 60k of that motor and it's worth 3 or 4 grand more. I

Yep that's the way, the garage is full ex company cars and are at a great price. My old man says it's well known that they used to clock them, I even think they've been done for it before. 

I think it's best to stay away and look elsewhere, of course that doesn't mean I'll be safe anywhere else. 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

I'm looking for around a 15 plate, wonder if they still have problems? 

I bought my daughter a Passat blue motion estate on a 12 plate last year for £800 because it had high miles, its travelled the length and breadth of the country since she had it and has now gone over 300 000 trouble free, its £20 a year road tax and does 60mpg with enough room to carry a family of 4 and all the baggage that goes with them so don’t think they are that bad a motor, yes modern cars are easy to clock but the mot should have the last 5 years of mileage on them so if there is a sudden drop it’s been clocked, ? ps if you no a mechanic with a laptop just pay him a days money to go with you and plug in the laptop, it will flag up everything the car has had done to it from new including clocking and major faults ?

Edited by Greyman
  • Like 1
45 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Yep that's the way, the garage is full ex company cars and are at a great price. My old man says it's well known that they used to clock them, I even think they've been done for it before. 

I think it's best to stay away and look elsewhere, of course that doesn't mean I'll be safe anywhere else. 

Few garages round here have been done for clocking as well and like you say it's all ex company stuff they are selling. 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Greyman said:

I bought my daughter a Passat blue motion estate on a 12 plate last year for £800 because it had high miles, its travelled the length and breadth of the country since she had it and has now gone over 300 000 trouble free, its £20 a year road tax and does 60mpg with enough room to carry a family of 4 and all the baggage that goes with them so don’t think they are that bad a motor, yes modern cars are easy to clock but the mot should have the last 5 years of mileage on them so if there is a sudden drop it’s been clocked, ? ps if you no a mechanic with a laptop just pay him a days money to go with you and plug in the laptop, it will flag up everything the car has had done to it from new including clocking and major faults ?

I've heard that with the right person doing the clocking it doesn't show up on normal diagnostic systems if at all. Some very smart folks involved in that end of the business that make very good money from it. 

• Like 1