Puppy market gone crazy

One thing to come out of lockdown is the increase in dog ownership. 
        People have all of a sudden realised that it’s nice to go out in the countryside and walk . And to do this it would be nice to have a dog . 
          A mate of mine breeds gun dogs and he has been inundated with enquires and people booking pups.  He is now charging £3,500 for Labrador pups , and the litters have all sold . He cannot breed dogs fast enough. Everyone I’ve talked to who breeds dogs have noticed this . My prediction!!!! Rescue centres will be full in six months. 

• Like 7

Pal of mines missus has just had a litter of 7 borders.Full borders but no papers.She put them on one of the pet sites last week at 4 weeks old for 650 each and had sold them all within 10mins of putting the advert on.I went over his place that evening and she reckoned she'd had over a 100 calls and messages.She must have had another 30 in the 90mins I was round his place.

It could be a symptom of the lockdown  - lots of people with more free time on their hands.

I reckon you're right - as soon as everyone has to go back to work, the poor mutts will be getting dumped at rescue centres ?

21 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Pal of mines missus has just had a litter of 7 borders.Full borders but no papers.She put them on one of the pet sites last week at 4 weeks old for 650 each and had sold them all within 10mins of putting the advert on.I went over his place that evening and she reckoned she'd had over a 100 calls and messages.She must have had another 30 in the 90mins I was round his place.

That's a bargain lol, just looked at a few ads and they're 2 grand + for borders.

No wonder so many dogs are being nicked.

the more you read what the asking for ped pups , it makes me want to get mongrel  from the rescue center ,£ 60-80 quid  get nice dog or even a pup from there they get few rescue litters in there at times.

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, fireman said:

And the tax man is watching, some folk will be getting a massive tax bill through the post as 40% of everything above £500 is what he wants from dog breeders without a licence.

Wouldn't be difficult to get around with an anonymous mobile number though unless the taxman is ringing round the ads and getting adresses they'll catch the unaware and the puppy farmers will just crack on

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, JDHUNTING said:

Wouldn't be difficult to get around with an anonymous mobile number though unless the taxman is ringing round the ads and getting adresses they'll catch the unaware and the puppy farmers will just crack on

Folks are that f***ing thick, they put the money in the bank?got to prove where you got it from?... it's all over their social media, there's an electronic trail.....selling through Instagram, fools book, WhatsApp etc.. They watching and catching the clowns, spending out on flash holidays and cars with their ill gotten gains?... You can get through life ducking and diving.... But the taxman will always want his cut.... Got to play the game... ?

• Like 1

Another thing is that cross breeds like cockapoos ect used to be classed as mongrels are now seen as fashion items. Now it's a good thing that there is biodiversity but crossing random animals doesn't necessarily make a good gun dog.  even if that type becomes fashionable. .  EG crossing an elk hound with a poodle don't make a spaniel that will work cover.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, JDHUNTING said:

The tax man is ringing and he's being told how trixie had 8 puppies but 4 have been sold and if your handing over that sort of money you want a address to go pick the puppy up from.,folk who are paying grands for puppies are in general a bit clued up who to buy from and that puppies need to be chipped and the chip regd's are giving the info who chips what and how many to the tax office..As with everything there are ways around things but the noose on back street pet breeding is closing..

A mate told me the other day he's heard somone in our village is charging £2 K for Bulldog cross Shih tzu pups..

I sad that's bull shit!!!

There's a bloke down the road  with a litter of Jack Russell's cross Shih tzu's.. 

and want's jack shit for them!!........ ( tumbleweed emoji require!!)... ?

• Haha 1

Last dog I bought from a private breeder was an accidental mating. Dog cost me £120.00 as a pup. That was a few years ago now. And, my god, what a fukcing lovely dog he is now! Ray'd like him :p

Then, I got a matched pair of pocket lunatics from the pound. Fifty the pair. All told, the best money I've ever spent.