Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

14 hours ago, sandymere said:

They run pure Galgos for points in open feild walked up. 

So Im not convinced, All I can say is that the breeders have done more damage then our kennel club.                                                                                                                   I first hunted in Spain in the 70s and have been back many times since, the dogs are not the same and most hunters admit crosses with other sight hounds.                     Same a most trail Labradors here, on paper 100% lab, in reality various % of collie.!

• Like 1

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, levigsp said:

So Im not convinced, All I can say is that the breeders have done more damage then our kennel club.                                                                                                                   I first hunted in Spain in the 70s and have been back many times since, the dogs are not the same and most hunters admit crosses with other sight hounds.                     Same a most trail Labradors here, on paper 100% lab, in reality various % of collie.!

Does it matter tho ? 

8 hours ago, levigsp said:

id agree i’ve not seen many galgo but you can tell there not an old type a sighthound there’s to much variation i’ve said to sandy loads a times there scatterbred ? they look pure grey then others 3/4 saluki ? 

what were they like in the 70s ?

I’ve asked many times ; if galago’s are so good, why weren’t they used instead of Salukis here to produce coursing types ?

After all, it must have been far easier to bring in galago’s from Spain than bring in saluki’s from the Middle East !

Cheers.

• Like 1
Just now, chartpolski said:

I’ve asked many times ; if galago’s are so good, why weren’t they used instead of Salukis here to produce coursing types ?

After all, it must have been far easier to bring in galago’s from Spain than bring in saluki’s from the Middle East !

Cheers.

loads a types were tried over the years chart the saluki is the best hare killer of the pures ain’t it my old man liked the pures he would a been similar age to you born just after the war ? running them from late 60s his body count went up massively when he got his hands on a saluki 23tts feathered bitch men used to laugh at him when he went to race the big coursing greyhounds and and other types of the time the laughing only lasted until  he slipped it ? 

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, levigsp said:

They tried crossing but ended to injury prone for coursing in Spain so went back to the old blood, they’re a typey hound for not being kennel club, as true to type  as racing greys other than having coat variety. Modern Galgos are as pure as any non kennel club breed, many check genetics to ensure pure. The racers cross Galgos with greys to breed good distance racers. Look at the 1st day runners.

M.(!64.56:886

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Just now, mC HULL said:

loads a types were tried over the years chart the saluki is the best hare killer of the pures ain’t it my old man liked the pures he would a been similar age to you born just after the war ? running them from late 60s his body count went up massively when he got his hands on a saluki 23tts feathered bitch men used to laugh at him when he went to race the big coursing greyhounds and and other types of the time the laughing only lasted until  he slipped it ? 

Is that why the Arabs are buying up Galgos ?

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

Because no one knew about galgos, we never invaded Spain lol.

3 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

Bit like me with Galgos today, they laugh till they see em run.....

Just now, sandymere said:

Is that why the Arabs are buying up Galgos ?

for racing ? you wouldn’t buy one for killing hares when they have the real deal mate 

they buy up our coursing breds 2 fens bred went for tens a thousands to them 

2 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Because no one knew about galgos, we never invaded Spain lol.

I’m not talking about history. I’m talking about the recent past. I was in Abu Dahbi just a few years ago at the saluki centre and there were British coursing lads wanting studs and to buy pups, why weren’t they in Spain buying galgos?

I’ve owned pure and cross Salukis and seen any amount run , but I’ve never seen or heard of anyone running galgos or their crosses here. Why is that if the galgos is equal to, or better than the Salukis ? Surely when we were members of the EU it would have been far easier to import a galgos from Spain than a Saluki from the Middle East , I know because I imported a dog from the Middle East, not a Saluki, and it would have been far, far easier to bring a dog from Europe ! 
Cheers.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

definately mate they have tried there hardest to make hare killers and are still getting dusted running two at a time ? ? 

No coursing dog has ever been bred to kill hares,it's you lads that want them to kill hares that breed them to kill hares. Coursing and killing hares are totaly different sports..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1