Cabin fever ?

4 minutes ago, Astanley said:

I was sitting in the garden earlier listening to a blackbird ,the back door was open and I heard the coronation st theme tune ,.I could of sworn the blackbird copied the tune ! Am I loosing it ?

Not sure if Blackbirds copy a noise they hear but Starlings do,they don't have a song as such and just use sounds they have heard.There's one by me who's song starts with the sound a ambulance makes when the siren first starts up,i live in a small village that has a sort of rat run/short cut through and when a ambulance reaches my road they put the siren on so they can do a Y junction fast and the Starling has copied that..

Edited by fireman
  • Like 3

I was listening to the starlings tonight doing impressions of wading birds out on the marsh, I've had one sat on the wing mirror at macdonalds before doing siren noises too. I wonder why they mimic rather than just stick to their own noises?

14 minutes ago, gnipper said:

I was listening to the starlings tonight doing impressions of wading birds out on the marsh, I've had one sat on the wing mirror at macdonalds before doing siren noises too. I wonder why they mimic rather than just stick to their own noises?

I haven’t heard a starling mimic in years, maybe because the numbers just aren’t what they used to be? But I remember some crackers when I was young......alarms etc

1 hour ago, fireman said:

Not sure if Blackbirds copy a noise they hear but Starlings do,they don't have a song as such and just use sounds they have heard.There's one by me who's song starts with the sound a ambulance makes when the siren first starts up,i live in a small village that has a sort of rat run/short cut through and when a ambulance reaches my road they put the siren on so they can do a Y junction fast and the Starling has copied that..

There was a pair of starlings in a Bush the other night, right beside where me and the mrs were sat..making some crazy sounds, a kind of deep drumming noise, then a bit of broken song back to the drumming noise... I've heard they will mimic realky well, including telephones..never heard that myself.. 

• Like 1

Just read other posts regarding mimicking, I'm sure my old man said one used to mimic the telephone in the house... strange the noises theh make, I wonder if its part of courtship as this one the other night was certainly showing off...lol

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kinkell said:

Blackbird my favourite singer but on a job few years ago this pair brought some insects to the nest in a day

IMG_20200222_160154631_HDR.jpg

Starlings got  a lot of stick when I was I lad , I think people appreciate them more now.. there a canny bird :thumbs:

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Just read other posts regarding mimicking, I'm sure my old man said one used to mimic the telephone in the house... strange the noises theh make, I wonder if its part of courtship as this one the other night was certainly showing off...lol

A pal of mine's terrier brought in a bold featherless chick one day and he reared it,it was a starling and it could talk,well i say talk it'd tell you to fcuk off and call you a wanker.Funny thing that had a thing for trying to pluck your eyebrows,he had it for a few years just flying loose and it would fly off into his garden and come back in when he called it..One day it just didn't come back..

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, fireman said:

A pal of mine's terrier brought in a bold featherless chick one day and he reared it,it was a starling and it could talk,well i say talk it'd tell you to fcuk off and call you a wanker.Funny thing that had a thing for trying to pluck your eyebrows,he had it for a few years just flying loose and it would fly off into his garden and come back in when he called it..One day it just didn't come back..

Brilliant...love stuff like that...

• Like 1