Minshaw dogs

2 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

Large hare population in fenced and walled fields, on the lamp?

Would those dogs have killed Double figure hares a week on decent sized arable land, no fences etc, on the lamp?

Genuine question. I’ve noticed (and it’s taken a while ?) that there are some people who do a hell of a lot of travelling, and often have amazing dogs, some are amazing coz of the graft they see, others look amazing as they are taken to the right ground ........

Good post and a true one but that goes for any line of dog or type..

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

here you go madfox....this bitch has some "Minshaw " in her shes a great grand daughter of blue....that's me she caught 63 that night ...just me and her.....3 days later I was out with her again Darcy

heres 1 more for ya...not the best pic....im on the left with the same bitch.....the young fella on the right is holding Don...he has the same sire as mine...a "minshaw " called jack...the dam to don

The Minshaw name tag is just that a tag used by peddlers, not a type or breed. Every lurcher in my kennels for the last few generations has had the blood of Bess a half x bitch running threw thei

Posted Images

2 hours ago, shaaark said:

To be honest, I'm not really interested in minshaw lurchers at all, but I'll read practically anything to do with running dogs. 

Don't really get how anyone can say that the sort of dog they breed is 'their own' type of lurcher. If you ask me, there's no such thing as a 'minshaw' lurcher. They were, as far as I've read, a mix of all sorts of crosses, in effect just mongrel lurchers. Same as these coursing bred types. Useful dog bred to useful dog. Trying to read some of those wrongly written, question marks in place of a name etc, pedigrees is laughable

Don't think it really matters if they are a specific line of lurcher or not or even if people care, as you say same with coursing coursing dogs similar types best to best put together to produce dogs of the same caliber and they now breed true to type and people into there coursing like to read about them the same as the those minshaw dogs as someone else said you could tell a minshaw dog from the stamp a mile off and people into there lamping have always had an interest in them as said love or loath them some were very good with a great stamp to them imo and no not all would have made the grade but that goes for any litter doesn't it regardless of how there bred.

2 hours ago, poxon said:

Mate there no different from dogs today there nothing special there just Lurchers there not a breed in there own right they were just a mongrely bred type they were just dogs that happened to be in working hands at a time That talked to much when quarry was plentiful nothing more there was nothing special about them that makes them any different in modern times  

mate there just mongrely breds nothing special that makes them or the owners better than any one else there’s no need to get all upset no one gives a shit about the minshaw peddling racket any more or they would still be here today without a load of bull blood added to prep them up 

Seems like you have a big dislike for them which of course is your prerogative , have you owned one or even seen them run, obviously a forums all about discussions n debates but if you genuinely don't like them why bother reading the thread and leave it to them that have a genuine interest in them weather that by curiosity or those with fond memories of times in the field with them.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, dodger said:

Seems like you have a big dislike for them which of course is your prerogative , have you owned one or even seen them run, obviously a forums all about discussions n debates but if you genuinely don't like them why bother reading the thread and leave it to them that have a genuine interest in them weather that by curiosity or those with fond memories of times in the field with them.

My opinion is mine alone I’m free to comment on what I like fella I don’t dislike them There just mongrels mate being made out as a separate breed an a whole different animal than today animal that people run I have a opinion that there scatter bred mongrels bred an peddled as the next best thing to slice bread An I like to point out there no better than today’s dogs just the amount of game to run as disappeared I don’t think I’m wrong in pointing that out do you 

Didn't I say it's your prerogative and everyone's entitled to there own opinions in the post above?

As for you keep harping on about them being mongrels well they are lurchers and all lurchers are mongrels who cares, if you found a stray lurcher which looked like an absolute Heinz 57 and despite your best efforts couldn't reunite it with its former owner or find out anything about it but therefore then decided to keep it and try it and it turned out to be a world beater, would you then get rid of that dog because you would never ba able to find out any info as to were that dog came or originated from or how it's bred.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Chid said:

Pedigrees are already on this forum in the minshaw topic.. there just names doesn't go into breeds 

PedigreeofDon.jpg.99f1ae18447dc533ef993c82e431d182.jpgjessjo.jpg.fcb22f32589f6efeddb957b4ecea3323.jpg

Have a read of what you just posted mate. I'm pretty sure collies, bedlingtons and deerhounds are breeds.

And the above 'pedigree' isn't the one I saw a couple of years back. There was also saluki and bull written in it

8 minutes ago, poxon said:

My opinion is mine alone I’m free to comment on what I like fella I don’t dislike them There just mongrels mate being made out as a separate breed an a whole different animal than today animal that people run I have a opinion that there scatter bred mongrels bred an peddled as the next best thing to slice bread An I like to point out there no better than today’s dogs just the amount of game to run as disappeared I don’t think I’m wrong in pointing that out do you 

Everything started scatter bred in the beginning, but when them scatter breds get a pile of work threw at them and the complete the tasks to a good standard then in the right hands and circles... which is the BIG MUST those scatter bred dogs, start becoming line bred dogs... granted if pups get bred willy nilly and the circles become broken.. then supposed base bred stuff then goes back to being scatter bred by individuals trying to recoup coins..

Hence everything ends up going back in circles lol....

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, stop.end said:

Everything started scatter bred in the beginning, but when them scatter breds get a pile of work threw at them and the complete the tasks to a good standard then in the right hands and circles... which is the BIG MUST those scatter bred dogs, start becoming line bred dogs... granted if pups get bred willy nilly and the circles become broken.. then supposed base bred stuff then goes back to being scatter bred by individuals trying to recoup coins..

?

6 minutes ago, stop.end said:

From what I can gather, what you've just written seems as though that's exactly what happened to this 'line' of dogs, leading to why it has fallen away ?

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Have a read of what you just posted mate. I'm pretty sure collies, bedlingtons and deerhounds are breeds.

And the above 'pedigree' isn't the one I saw a couple of years back. There was also saluki and bull written in it

I very much doubt that mate 

bear in mind the age of blue etc 

the 1st bull lurcher types were down Portsmouth way I’m sure . A long way from west Cumbria , as for saluki , behave mate . 

34 minutes ago, shaaark said:

FFS your an argumentative person ain't you ? 

I meant the earlier stuff what doesn't go into breeds , most people know minshaws were just scatter bred curs that had alot of collie influence.. 

1 minute ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I very much doubt that mate 

bear in mind the age of blue etc 

the 1st bull lurcher types were down Portsmouth way I’m sure . A long way from west Cumbria , as for saluki , behave mate . 

It's on there, someone put it up roughly 3 years ago. Not saying it was a fairly recent pedgree, might've been 20 years old for all I know.