lamping styles

just a quick taught on styles of lamping most of the lads around where i live including me run with the lamp on the rabbit when we slip the dog. had a couple of lads over from wales hunting and lamping with me an they taught i was mad running with the dog. they just stand in the one spot.whats yer taughts? y.i.s sionnach

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:no::no::no: there is no need to even move if your dog nows whot he she is doing i once went with a lad to take a dog back for the bloke to show us ow to lamp( he done more running than the dog) then he wanted to buy my dog, lamp on slip not throwing the dog at the rabbit thats bad you are making every rabbit now your there with your stamping :thumbs:

GENERALLY WE STAND IN ONE SPOT AND LET THE DOG DO THE WORK.IF THE GROUND IS UNEVEN AND THERES A CHANCE THAT I WILL LOOSE THE LIGHT ON THE RABBIT I WILL MOVE TO REPOSITION.IM NORMALY LOOKING WERE THE RABBIT IS LIKELY TO GO SO I DONT LAMP THE DOG INTO LOW BRANCHES.FARM IMPLEMENTS ETC ETC.I HAD A RABBIT RUN A GOOD 100 YARDS THEN GO ROUND AND ROUND A TREE 4 TIMES THE OTHER NIGHT.I WAS BUSY LAUGHING AND I THINK BRYN WAS DIZZY AS IT GOT AWAY TO THE HEDGE... :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

thanks for replies lads. running dose not seem to scare other rabbits in fields often taken six from one field. as for my dogs never came home empty handed. always only run one dog at a time even pups. we average ten to twelve rabbits most nights and thats twice a week when moon is down. then again we're lucky with rabbits when the lads are over from wales they often say they see more in one field here then they'd see for half there season in wales.. :boogie: y.i.s sionnach

thanks for replies lads. running dose not seem to scare other rabbits in fields often taken six from one field. as for my dogs never came home empty handed. always only run one dog at a time even pups. we average ten to twelve rabbits most nights and thats twice a week when moon is down. then again we're lucky with rabbits when the lads are over from wales they often say they see more in one field here then they'd see for half there season in wales.. :boogie: y.i.s sionnach

:toast::laugh:

Guest john2007oliver

I run sometime too, if i'm between the rabbit and where its head seems to panic them and less running for the dog or it will bend them back out into the open, don;t do it often just when i think its worth it. Its paid off for me and it works for me so i f it puts the extra rabbit in the bag its worth it :victory:

I run sometime too, if i'm between the rabbit and where its head seems to panic them and less running for the dog or it will bend them back out into the open, don;t do it often just when i think its worth it. Its paid off for me and it works for me so i f it puts the extra rabbit in the bag its worth it :victory:
NO NEED!!
Guest john2007oliver
NO NEED!!

Obviously there is otherwise i wouldn't do it. For example if i run my dog on a rabbit and for what ever reason she doesnt pick it up wether she chases the wrong one or it runs of the beam in a ditch etc and ones hopping past me while my dogs not quite back there is deffinatly a need 2 run and scare it back out if i want that rabbit caught. If you cba running then don't, but i will run and will do it my way. Plus i would rather save me dogs energy and her get them easy because she can be walking for 10 hours + a night a few times a week so the less energy used the better

• 3 weeks later...
just a quick taught on styles of lamping most of the lads around where i live including me run with the lamp on the rabbit when we slip the dog. had a couple of lads over from wales hunting and lamping with me an they taught i was mad running with the dog. they just stand in the one spot.whats yer taughts? y.i.s sionnach
na no way thats what dog is for! thats grand with young pup but after that dog should do the work you just drive the car is it because the dog dosent c the rabbit maybe their to far out good dog should scan the field from the ditch