Tic!!!

went out yesterday to a permission at a quarry in barton yesterday. got there for about 8.15am and saw a good 20 rabbits about as we went up the drive. came to the first warren. a huge 40-50 holer and got netted up. we then put the ferrets into some holes near the fence close by in attempt to back net any that bolted. well 3 bolted and 1 was netted. so we put the ferret into the big one. there was alot of thumping and scuttling coming from below, and after about 5 mins, the first one hit the net. after much more action, we'd had ten from that warren and were about to put the ferrets away and move on when i felt this lump on my jills neck, held her still, and had a look. there's this :censored: tick clamped on. had 16 yesterday and got the tick off this mornin. couldn't flippin believe it.

p.s Sorry but no picture's. will try to get some next weekend though

All the best and a happy new year

Corky

I've had a few ticks on the ferts this year! I got some Tick pickers from the vets for about a fiver. You get two pickers, a big one and a small one. I also treat the fert with frontline spray, and the hutch with a good insecticide. (you have to take the fert out first!)

On a brighter note, nice bag! :thumbs:

YEP TICKS ARE VERY COMAN I ALWAYS GET THEM ON MY JILLS A GOOD WAY OF PREVENTING THEM IS FRONTLINE SPRAY :thumbs:

i agree i use frontline on my ferrets too and it works very well. umm i cant say off the top of my head but its not relatively cheap, and i was in a local country store near me today and they were selling what i belive was duramitex for buy one get one free as apparently new EU regulations are making it illegal in the coming year, could anyone correct me if im wrong.

Edited by poacherH
How much you pay for this frontline stuff and can i get it from a normal petshop or is it only online?!

I got mine from the vet, and it wasn't bloody cheap! I think I paid about £15 for a smallish bottle. Saying that, it's probably enough for a pair of ferrets for the season.

I believe you can twist them off ANTI CLOCKWISE, Never tried it though.

That's only half right, you can leave the head in and it's toxic! They now recommend you don't twist them, you need to grip the head with a pair of tweezers, as close to the skin as possible. The plastic pickers I got from the vet, are like mini claw hammers. You slide the claw between the body of the tick and the ferrets skin and slide them untill the head of the tick is as close to the 'V' as possible. It then grips the head of the tick, allowing you to twist & pull in one motion, and the lot comes out, head, mouth parts, the lot. It's always best to remove the ticks as soon as possible, as some types carry Lyme disease, or borreliosis as its also called.

More Info Here:

Lyme disease

DAB THE LITTLE BUGGERS WITH A LIT CIGERETTE..THEY CANT WAIT TO UN HOOK THE MOUTHS OF THE FERRET.....BIT OF A PROBLEM NOW IV STOPPED SMOKING FOR THE NEW YEAR :thumbs:

Edited by woz

:gunsmilie:

went out yesterday to a permission at a quarry in barton yesterday. got there for about 8.15am and saw a good 20 rabbits about as we went up the drive. came to the first warren. a huge 40-50 holer and got netted up. we then put the ferrets into some holes near the fence close by in attempt to back net any that bolted. well 3 bolted and 1 was netted. so we put the ferret into the big one. there was alot of thumping and scuttling coming from below, and after about 5 mins, the first one hit the net. after much more action, we'd had ten from that warren and were about to put the ferrets away and move on when i felt this lump on my jills neck, held her still, and had a look. there's this :censored: tick clamped on. had 16 yesterday and got the tick off this mornin. couldn't flippin believe it.

p.s Sorry but no picture's. will try to get some next weekend though

All the best and a happy new year

Corky

You could try using diluted sheepdip as we find it deters any tics or fleas and you can pick it up relatively easily.