Stop Nets

A lot of my permission involves rabbiting along hedge rows (usually hawthorne and blackthorne) and I am getting tired of spending as long digging thorns out of my hands and knees as I am actually ferreting with purse nets. :wallbash:

I have tried running long nets parallel to the hedges but the rabbits just hole hop along the hedge. :no:

Most hedges are quite thick and have wire sheep netting running down them so I can not put a long net through them. :no:

I am thinking of buying some stop nets, possibly 4, so I can put 2 either side of the hedge at each end of the bury at 90 degrees to the hedge. Has any one used this method? :blink:

Any hints or tips appreciated. :blink:

Anyone know of a good supplier for quick set stop nets? :)

All the best AF

I have a couple of gate nets from KP&S nets.

They are about 12 feet long and i use them to do exactly what you described, i put them at 90degree angles to the hedge and set them as far into the hedge as i can, i use hazel wands and set them in the traditional manner (not quikset) i often hang them on whatever is in the hedge rather than using the wands, i also sometimes set them right upto and flush with fences like you describe in the hedge, the end pin (actually just a small hazel peg that holds the two lines together-but used similar to an end pin on a traditional longnet) is then set at 90 degrees to the net alongside the fence

also a suggestion is to pursenet what you can on the hedge you describe and also to set the longnet in a zigzag pattern as close to the hedge as you can, thus any that do run may hit the part sticking towards the hedge

here is a pic of one of my gate/stop nets

DSCF0566.jpg

Thanks for the reply Compo, good to hear from someone who has actualy used this method. I like the idea of zig-zaging the long nets as well.

I had heard talk about putting a plastic sack or something through the hedge in the middle of the netted area to try to encourage any bolting rabbits to move outwards, apparently the idea is that they then run further out parallel to the hedge (and hopefully in to your net) rather than going back down a hole. Anyone tried this?

All the best AF

I have similar problems on my permission and have also considered trying short stop-nets. Many of the hedges are more akin to thin coppices on steep banks interlaced with brambles and, as you say, it's frustrating seeing a rabbit hop nonchalently from hole to hole while you inwardly scream, "run you bugger; run!" I feel a post-Christmas present coming on. :thumbs:

Thanks for the replies Gents. I appreciate any advice. I realise that different situations call for different methods and I try to be adaptable. I have added snares, spring traps, cage traps and a rifle to my rabbit control armoury over the last couple of years. Also recently made a drop net for a particular problem location.

I first started ferreting about 25 years ago and for a long time never used anything but purse nets (mostly because I did not know any better).

I have been using long nets for ferreting at some locations for a couple of years now. Stop nets will be yet another string to the rabbiting bow.

What length stop nets do you folk think are suitable? is 12ft enough or would longer be better?

All the best AF

Thanks for the replies Gents. I appreciate any advice. I realise that different situations call for different methods and I try to be adaptable. I have added snares, spring traps, cage traps and a rifle to my rabbit control armoury over the last couple of years. Also recently made a drop net for a particular problem location.

I first started ferreting about 25 years ago and for a long time never used anything but purse nets (mostly because I did not know any better).

I have been using long nets for ferreting at some locations for a couple of years now. Stop nets will be yet another string to the rabbiting bow.

What length stop nets do you folk think are suitable? is 12ft enough or would longer be better?

All the best AF

I got the 12feet ones cos they were only a fiver each, sometimes i wsih they were a couple of yards longer, other times they are too long, it depends on your hedges and how much cash you have, get a few different lengths if you can, but i have found mine to work well enough,

Ta for the reply Compo, I was thinking of some 12 yard stop nets perhaps on 3 poles. I suppose if they were too long I could just zig-zag them like you suggest with the long nets?

All the best AF

12 yards would be OK, if you dont need all 12 yards just tether the spare to teh floor, personally i wouldn't be fixing a net to be used as a stop net to the wands permanently quiknet style, i have found that having a loose net that you can support where and when the opportunity is works better.

I did contemplate fixing a wand to either end of my stop nets, however you cant always get the wand in where you want the net to be, on these occasions i have used the fence line, existing sticks in the hedge, dried nettles that are stood in the hedge etc.... dont fix yours permanently to the net as it doesn't allow enough flexibility when weaving in and out of the hedge

get some and give them a go!

8)

• 4 weeks later...

Well I invested in some net and have made up some 12 yard stop nets. As I am used to quick set long nets and have never tried the traditional method so I decided to stick with what I know and got some fiberglass poles from Magnum and have made them permanet quick set. I have one pole fixed at each end and another spare non fixed 'floating' pole for the middle. I have made up 2 x 12 yd nets and I am in the process of making up 2 more. I tie the poles together with bungee and have made some nylon bags to which the net goes in to and then ties around the poles for transport. I have picked the net up as I have seen described for traditional long nets but rather than putting the net on to an end pin I put it on to the point of an end pole.

Managed to test the two today and very impressed with the results.

I found them suprisingly easy to manage feeding the netting off the point of one end pole before pusing the other end pole in to make it tight. I then put the middle pole in for support. I put one net either side of a fence. One side was strait forward as it was in a paddock. The other side went down in to a dry ditch and then back up on to a track. I had to peg the bottom line down in a few places and had to cut a branch to support the net in another place. but it was all fairly strait forward.

We purse netted some of the more obvious holes but there were a lot under brambles that were hard to get at so we left these open. I put the ferrets to work and got no joy from the first dozen or so holes but as soon as I introduced a ferret to the holes under the brambles we got a bolt. It ran about 20yds down the bottom of the ditch and strait in to the stop net. I got it and dispatched it and while I was picking bits of twig out of the net another rabbit bolted along the track and hit the net at the top next to me. I dealt with it as well before we picked up and moved on.

I was worried because the nets were a light geen colour and thought this may make the rabbits shy away but obviously the colour made no difference to the rabbits as it caught them just fine. We went on for another couple of hours and ended up with 9 rabbits, an excellent day. Some we would have caught with purse nets anyway but the stop nets made it much easier. 2 rabbits we would not have got at all if we were only using puse nets.

Hope to get out tomorrow when we intend to try a hedge line just with the stop nets alone. Sorry no pics as I forgot the camera today.

All the best AF

Good result AF :thumbs: ,all ive ever used is purse nets as well but i will be getting into longnetting in the spring.Once i have confidence using them i will try other types of nets to add more options to my rabbit control...

af if you pm john hubery on here mate i think he might be able to supply you with stop nets mate

Managed to get out for an hour with my mate this morning. I put the stop nets out on one side of a fence but had to use a few purse nets on the other side with my mate guarding them because there were some horses in the paddock there. I popped the ferrets in and within 20 mins we had 3 rabbits in the stop net, all caught fair and square. I am definitelty a convert now, in the right situation they are a lot easier to use than purse nets. Am going to finish setting up the other two nets and hopefully get out again soon.

post-5813-1201453226_thumb.jpg

post-5813-1201453238_thumb.jpg

All the best AF