feeding heart and liver portions

failure to communicate has left me with a .... frozen meat bolder.... :wallbash: the whole thing is deer hearts and livers (compliments of my dad who is an obsessive hunter- given along with some other meat specifically for the dogs)

now i grew up being told by EVERYONE that you dont thaw out refreeze meat, that its bad for it... but does that rule apply to meat for dogs? i'm assuming it does, but i dont know.. which is why i'm asking. is it bad for the flavour or quality or what?

also for two 75-80 lb dogs and one 25lb terrier what is considered too much in regards to heart and liver in the diet?

Also i heard about dogs being hyperactive on dog-food diets - mine certainly are!!

but then i've heard that feeding raw will help calm them down.. so for the hunters out there.. does that effect their performance and interest in the hunt or other activities? just curious really.. i'm assuming it wouldnt interfere with the dog's instincts and willingness to still please its master.

thanks

Guest Ditch_Shitter

In response to the first point; While I'm sure there will be people happy to call me unkind names and deride what I say ~ So there are those I don't consider fit to have a Dog in the first place. There may well be some sort of link there :hmm:

Anyway, so some people may suggest there's nothing on earth wrong with feeding Dogs flesh which has been de and refrozen time and again. I'd beg to differ. I've had personal experience of 'wrongly frozen' meat bringing tragedy. Thus I'd never knowingly risk wiping out my Dogs, agonisingly, for the sake of saving a bit of meat which has cost nothing to aquire. Put simply; It's russian roulette and ye pointing the gun at ye Dogs. Why do that? Sling it.

Heart and liver? Gave mine a bit of cowz heart tonight. This will have been the second time this week they've had it, so I keep it down to about an 1/8th of their individual portion, per meal. The rest being body tissue and bone. But the best 'rule' I've ever come across is the sort of 'Para Barf' notion of " Natural Feeding ". Whereby one feeds flesh, bone and organ in the sort of ratio one would find such in a whole animal.

Now, of course, some bright spark will be gagging to point out how the Alpha Wolf of the pack will take the choisest ..... blah, blah, blah. Are ye keeping a pack of Wolves there, BC? No, I thought not ;) So we think instead of a Dog catching itself a rabbit or something. All to itself. There's ye guide :good:

Finally; Wild Canids don't eat carcinogenic, vet kill shit out of greasy sacks. Nor do we see them bouncing off rocks and trees. They eat the above mentioned sort of diet all their lives. I've examined footage of both wild wolves and African Hunting Dogs. They don't seem to lack stamina or hunting 'Oomph' ..... They'd long since have become extinct if they did. No?

i cant argue with that. i love your logic and the way you word it lol had me laughing out loud a couple of time :D

Well that does make it easier then. i have a meat clever so i can chip some off for individual meals.

eventually, if the rabbits ever decide to act like proper rabbits, the dogs WILL each be getting their own bunny for dinner.. until then i have to sort, measure, and sometimes guess..

thanks Ditch!

wanted to add.. the heart and liver is in its own bag, not with the other meat..

Edited by BlueCoyote
just to add what d s as said when you get meat again bag it into meal size bags and just take it out as you need it :thumbs: ...john

i wish i could have lol i asked my dad if he would save those for me when he killed a deer. so when i saw him again two weeks later he handed me a bag larger than my jack russell terrier.... all one frozen solid mass of meat lol

i wonder would my husband notice if i did use the bow saw to cut this into smaller portions.....? :hmm: i like that idea better than the clever.... meat goes everywhere with that thing!

Hello Blue

I would agree not to defrost and refreeze but defrost a little untill you can seperate the outside bits and whilst still part frozen, rebag and back in the freezer thus not completely defrosting and refreezing. I have done this many times when I have been given large bags of meat.