Plummers - just ratters?

Guest proudy

there seems to be a lot of untried plummers being bred from.

:yes::yes: .. bang on mate that's why they are doomed.. the breed is still new and it is getting bred for standard and look's already.. it would not be so bad if they had been going for a couple of centuries and been proven as worker's..

If that was the case the good looker's of the hard worker's could be picked out.. but sadly this is not the case as this breed is being pushed on to make money.. :cry: ..and in my eye's it is fecked before it has got going..

Millet

Strange that of all the threads that ive read on this site Millet you allways come across if anything more pasionate about plummers than others, you realise that indiscriminate breading for asthetics only raises issues down the lines with working ability but as you said there doomed but what do you expect when the three main protagonists peddle there wares weekly with money and there own notoriaty there only aim.If it has come across as plummer bashing it was nether meant as so, as the ones ive come across(again sad reflection)in the show ring are cracking little dogs

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your in cloud cookoo land if you think theres only one kennel breeding for the pet market.

I have had more fall outs because of stating the fact that workers to worker brings the best chance of getting a worker.

most of the plummer owners will not admit that they want different factors in the breed besides the way it grafts.

black dogs, pats, lakelands, fells or what ever dont have and dont need a breed club.

The plummer was started as a working terrier but now its a red and white dog that was written about in books and has 3 or more clubs and silly websites about.

The breed as a worker is F88ked, lads that have owned the dogs are leaving the breed like rats from a sinking ship.too much focus on paper work and winning selby /midland show.

I have 3 plummers but if i breed a pup who do i home them with?

my friends that had them have moved on, i breed for a pup to keep.

the people who are buying pups dont want working plummers, they want a red and white nice looking pet to show there paper work to, because of the bad feeling regarding working plummers and the fact that they can get £250 all day long

I do agree mate that breeding worker to worker you have more of a chance to breed a worker,what i ment was you do also need to look at faults as well as these are of equal importance.My own dogs i got from working stock,my bitches father dug regulally as did his father the dame was also from a proven strain(coalville).My dog is from a cracking bitch who does all thats asked of her,his father was a show champ but he was also worked in the field.To say the breed as a whole is f**ked is i think a little wrong mate as there are owner workers out there that are working their dogs and breeding worker to worker.I myself am guilty of putting the dog walker type off of these dogs by saying when asked about them that they don't make good pets,if i put one unsutable owner off then job done.There is one or two nutural plummer sites out there for owners who care not for paperwork,pedigrees yes as a line history of their dogs but not which club has done the paperwork,most of the folks with dogs on these sites work there dogs to whatever suits them.No slaging,just working plummers with the working side most important.£250 and upwards is to much and am with you on that front,i would rather give a pup to a working home than sell one to a home where it may or maynot do anything work wise,Just being nosey mate what lines your dogs from please.

I do agree mate that breeding worker to worker you have more of a chance to breed a worker,what i ment was you do also need to look at faults as well as these are of equal importance.

LET ME GET THIS RIGHT .............. ARE YOU ARE SAYING THAT YOU WOULD BREED FROM A REALLY GOOD LOOKER BUT POOR WORKER OVER A DOG WHICH IS AN EXCELLENT WORKER BUT NOT AS WELL PUT TOGETHER ???????????????????

BECAUSE IF YOU ARE FELLA ,............... MY FIRST POST WENT MILES ABOVE YER HEAD !

ONCE AGAIN ......................... THE IMPORTANT ATTRIBUTES IN A WORKING ANIMAL .... CANNOT BE SEEN AND " MUST " BE TESTED FOR .......HARD

ONCE YOU PUT SHIT INTO A LINE YOU CAN DILUTE IT ........ BUT ITS STILL THERE ....... :no:

BOTH ME AND THE ITALLION STALLION WERE HAVING THE CRAIC , " AS USUAL " ABOUT WORKING ANIMALS DURING OUR DINNER BREAK THE OTHER DAY ............. ONE THING WE DID AGREE ON WAS THE FACT THAT CERTAIN BREEDS OF DOG ATTRACT " A " CERTAIN TYPE OF PEOPLE ........ ITS AMAZING THAT A FEW YRS AGO THE SAME " LOOSERS " THAT WERE INTO KC BORDERS AND BEDLINGTONS HAVE NOW MOVED INTO PLUMMERS AND KC WHIPPETS ........... YEP THEY ALL BREED VERY REGULAR LITTERS FROM UNTRIED STOCK ......... AND LIE TO THEIR CUSTOMERS THAT THERE DOGS ARE THE REAL DEAL WORKERS ...... HELL THEY EVEN WALK DOWN THE STREETS EXCERCISEING THERE DOGS LIKE THE LORD OF THE MANOR .... FECKIN TWEED FROM HEAD TO FOOT ............. NONE AND I MEAN NONE ........... I WOULD CLASS AS WORKING DOG LADS , JUST PUPPY PEDDLERS LATCHING ONTO THE NEWEST TREND

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

A friend has a little terrier bitch..........undershot........an ugly little shite..............but to watch her work is a beautifull thing...........

and I will wager there would be no shortage of takers for pups............but most will never get the chance of one anyway.

To be honest, the odd crowd that I witnessed at the Midland would not understand......... ;)

A friend has a little terrier bitch..........undershot........an ugly little shite..............but to watch her work is a beautifull thing...........

and I will wager there would be no shortage of takers for pups............but most will never get the chance of one anyway.

To be honest, the odd crowd that I witnessed at the Midland would not understand......... ;)

LOL :toast:

What i said was i would breed from the best dog with the least faults,to breed on working ability alone and letting the dogs suffer the curse that some faults can bring is not good breeding pratice in any kennel.Most lads with terriers who breed a litter or 2 over the years wont think about faults like undershot jaws and the like and will be wanting pups out of workers that will work,what is wrong with wanting the same working ability but in a fault free dog?.I will wait for the right dog in the future for my bitch and will travel anywhere for the use of him,i wont just use a dog on its working ability alone,the plummer gene pool still carries these faults and most folks breeding a litter can trace these faults so not breeding a litter with hereditory faults.I myself cannot belive many lads that chuck out a litter or 2 of blacks or lakies(not slating the breed before you spit your dummies)will even ask the breeder of their dogs about carried faults and what not to breed with,we are lucky we can and with careful use things can only get better and the dogs improve all round.If this is wrong then so be it,i want more in my kennels than pig ugly workers,i want fault free workers thats all and fu*k all wrong in that.

but your passing over good workers to use a better fault free dog

When i used two very good workers and nice lookers over a bitch i had , i was told " your pups may make too big, or more white on them then normal".

With stupid folk breeding to get a dog perfect to look at there misssing the good working blood.

As ive said before i ratted against a nice looking show winning dog and it was hopeless and should have been never used as a stud dog but it got passed on and is now the leading stud in a plummer breeders kennel.

So with ideas like that were is the breed?

how many people have bought pups out of it?

but your passing over good workers to use a better fault free dog

When i used two very good workers and nice lookers over a bitch i had , i was told " your pups may make too big, or more white on them then normal".

With stupid folk breeding to get a dog perfect to look at there misssing the good working blood.

As ive said before i ratted against a nice looking show winning dog and it was hopeless and should have been never used as a stud dog but it got passed on and is now the leading stud in a plummer breeders kennel.

So with ideas like that were is the breed?

how many people have bought pups out of it?

Not all plummer lines are sutable to mix,some carry faults and if mixed you have a chance at breeding fault full dogs who may suffer because of them.So if i were to breed from a unsutable line just on working merrets then i am chancing the outcome,where as if i find a line sutable to put with my dogs then find the best working,fault free dog of that line i am using my head and breeding to improve.Don't want to get into a tit for tat mate,but with the plummer as with all other breeds there is a type and to try to keep that type when breeding is important.Does eveyone breed their bitches to anyold dog as long as it's a worker?.No they don't they look for a dog of the type they want,be it colour or whatever trait they like.You say about being told your pups may be to big and to much white,i wont get into a row mate no way but maybe someone was trying to help you breed a litter that did not end up oversize and looking like russels instead of plummers.Which forgive me if i'm wrong is a common point on the slating of this breed,i know of lads that are using their heads and breeding some good plummer pups that have good working blood in them and less faults.But to answer the thread question no not just ratters,there are plummers being dug to but most are used above ground,as thats what their owners wanted them for.No bitching mate good points that i'm trying to answer for everyone,or am i :wallbash: ?.

your wasting your time fireman, you should have learnt by now that people who put the plummer terrier down either don't own one, never have worked one, but there all such experts.

you can slate me all you want, but i am a plummer owner i have two, both really good worker's (i have nothing to prove to you lot, what my plummer's do keep me happy which is what counts).

my advice fireman you are :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:with this lot.